Profile for Aoife O. Connor > Reviews

Content by Aoife O. Connor

Aoife O. Connor "Wiblick" (Dublin, Ireland)

The Impact of Digitisation on Creative and Cultural Industries
The Impact of Digitisation on Creative and Cultural Industries
by Nick Birch

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as expected, vanity publishing., 21 Feb. 2015
A lesson in reading the small print. Purchased in haste after a being returned as a recommendation on other purchases relating to the digitisation of archival records, this short paper does not appear to be MA or PhD level research and is a study of media. Also came mis-bound - the first page was page 6, the centre pages were the 'first page' and an advertisement for the company offering the self-publishing service. While probably a reasonable college essay it is not authoritative. Mostly disappointed at the printers/'publishers' for their misdirection.

The Last Englishman: A Thru-Hiking Adventure on the Pacific Crest Trail
The Last Englishman: A Thru-Hiking Adventure on the Pacific Crest Trail

5.0 out of 5 stars thru-hike writing at its best, 12 Mar. 2014
I've read half a dozen thru hike books in the last couple of weeks. Fozzie's account of his PCT hike is one of the best. A perfect blend of stories, characters and the practicalities of long distance hiking (a component sadly lacking in some other accounts which try to be too profound or too funny). Looking forward to his AT book.

French (Your Evening Class) (Book & CD)
French (Your Evening Class) (Book & CD)
by Bernard Grosz

3.0 out of 5 stars Typos in the Reference Book, 25 May 2010
For the most part I like this course, it's comprehensive and complements the short course I am doing in a community based training scheme. I am using it to supplement that course.

I'm glad I'm only using it as a supplement because there are typos in the answer keys. I only check some answers and have come across a number of errors. For instance in the directions chapter Lesson 2 the answers to B are all mixed up, and at least one of the audio tracks I have listened to so far doesn't actually tally with what is being said on the CD.

The Garden Cottage Diaries: My Year in the Eighteenth Century
The Garden Cottage Diaries: My Year in the Eighteenth Century
by Fiona J. Houston

4.0 out of 5 stars A tantalizing glimpse at ordinary life in the 18th Century, 16 July 2009
This is a charming book. It's beautifully laid out and the inclusion of diary entries gives a real immediacy to the story.

I really enjoyed the lists and recipes. And the honesty of the author is refreshing. Yes it breaks the spell when she admits to wearing her jeans until she was finished her heavy labour for the day and to walk the dog. It makes one prone to preach and wonder if she couldn't have researched the time period a bit more and found suitable clothing that allowed her to work. And you do wonder why she didn't set the cottage up with 2 buckets instead of reaching a compromise with an enamel bucket when she realised she needed two.

What most recommends this book is its Scottish perspective. So many living history books are written from the American perspective, especially those pertaining to the 18th C. It would have been nice to have even more detail about day to day tasks other than cooking, and less confessions about using modern transport. However the reader does get a real appreciation of the time things take to do in the pre-industrial age. And when you really think about it you wonder if you could really do any better than the author.

The hardback format does make it a little unwieldy.

I Believe In Yesterday: My Adventures in Living History
I Believe In Yesterday: My Adventures in Living History
by Tim Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for re-enactors & MOPs, 31 Dec. 2008
Tim Moore describes the obsessive yet self-conscious world of re-enactors perfectly. The juxtaposition of stitch counting authenticity with late night partying describes every group I know. A lot of the time we know we look like 'berks'.

As a bit of a time-tart I've done half the time periods in the book so could identify on many levels with what was going on. & any book that can get me to laugh out loud in the introduction is a rarity.

Tim balances his laughs, most of which are directed at himself not the re-enactors with short history lessons & insights into the motivations of living historians. Although it's a light book you can tell he has done his research and been won over by the people that he meets. Without being nostalgic he ponders the loss of skills in the modern western world - our inability to 'make do' or in a lot of cases make anything. Our lives are luxurious compared to those of our parents/grandparents and most people don't even know how to bake bread or light a fire...

It's a must read book for all re-enactors and anyone who wants to make the cross over from MOP to participant.