Profile for Hayley Guertin > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Sigil in Shadow
Sigil in Shadow

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read!, 12 Aug. 2016
This review is from: Sigil in Shadow (Kindle Edition)
"'Good night, Peacock. Sleep well.'" (Roberts, 206).

Sigil in Shadow is a novel about a lowborn girl who is summoned by the king to re-create a potion that supposedly brought back to life an officer from the dead. Only, she doesn't know if the potion actually revived the officer she assaulted, or just awoke him from unconsciousness.

The book opens up with the main character, Ellary Dane, being home when she hears her father fighting with an officer in their stable. She decides quickly to hit the officer over the head with a shovel, thinking that she may have killed him, but glad she got him off of her father.

The quick action at the beginning of the book was a really good way to pull someone into the story, and it made me want to read more. The story was set in what seemed like the late 1600's with the royalty and the clothes that they wore. The book is written in present tense, first person, which seems rare in indie books lately, and I enjoyed it.

I liked that the story isn't just restricted to one particular event that is drawn out. We are with Ellary for close to a year throughout her time with the king. I enjoyed the adventure we went through and it was great because the movement of the story kept it interesting.

Ellary Dane is the main character of this novel, and she fits there perfectly. We got to follow her character development throughout the story and see what the changes in her life did to change her. She is the perfect role model for a lot of people born in a lower class society.

Other characters like Denzil and Gadiel were entertaining as well. They were more so side characters, but had a great impact on the story. Their personalities complemented the story perfectly and made it more realistic to real life.

The theme of this novel is along the lines of just because you come from a lower class doesn't mean you can't be just as good or even better than people in a higher class. This is something that is very important for people, especially kids, to learn early on. I was also surprised that the message in this book was so clear, considering that themes in indie books are getting sparse.

There were a lot of different ways that the story could have went, which was really good for keeping my attention. The story wasn't entirely predictable, which is a key element in keeping the interest of your readers, and Roberts did an amazing job at doing so.

Overall, I really enjoyed this novel. I was told there will be a second book to the series, and I can't wait to see where the next adventure takes me. Roberts did a wonderful job with her story and heart captivating characters, and I certainly can't wait to read the next one. I give this novel 5 out of 5 stars.

The Dimension Thieves (Episode 1): Episode 1 (The Dimension Series)
The Dimension Thieves (Episode 1): Episode 1 (The Dimension Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, 12 Jun. 2016
"Free will was a birth right, once upon a time, but now, it was a gift from the President" (Provencher).

The Dimension Thieves is about Force Steele and the beginning of his journey to stopping President Baro from Droning the entire world. Antythera, previously called Earth, has been divided into levels, and as the story goes, level A is the only level that hasn't been Droned... yet.

This short, little novel started off by putting us into a situation with the President, thus learning all about the world, as well as his plans, with Force as our main focus point. The story is set in a dystopian world and we get to follow Force on his journey to freeing his friends and family. The level A's are using the drones as servants and Force wants to stop it.

The theme of the story is geared towards lower classes of society. At first, President Baro was having homeless people and criminals Droned, so they could have homes and to clean up society. As the story goes on, the President starts Droning lower class citizens who depend on the government to survive. This refers to the government's reluctance to helping families in need. It touches on an important fact that, some upper class people see the lower classes as, well, lower, lesser people.

I slowly got to get to know the main character, Force, as the story went. He is likeable and I enjoyed reading on his point of view on things, even if the story is in third person. The book was well written, and easy to read. It is very short, more of a novella meant to interest you into the story, which it did. Despite the shortness, it was interesting action packed enough for me to want to read the next one. I am fully invested in this story and I want to see what will happen in the next books.

All in all, the book was well written, the story was well constructed, and I am interested in it. This is something good for people who like sci-fi and adventure books, jam packed with action. I will certainly read the rest of the series, and I look forward to finding out the outcome of Antythera.

These Starcrossed Lives of Ours
These Starcrossed Lives of Ours

5.0 out of 5 stars These Starcrossed Lives of Ours was an amazing, fast paced book that kept me interested until ..., 22 May 2015
"Interesting until the very end, These Starcrossed Lives of Ours kept me on my toes with its crazy plot twists and involved characters. I couldn't put it down even if I wanted to." - Hayley's Reviews (Editorial in book).

This book was extremely interesting, and definitely not what I was expecting! These Starcrossed Lives of Ours was an amazing, fast paced book that kept me interested until the very end. It was very shocking to say the least, and I loved the story.

The storyline was all over the place in terms of events and I thought it was really cool. I wasn't expecting this kind of book, and it took me by surprise. I liked that there were plenty of twists and turns and you never knew what to expect with these characters.

The characters were fun to get to know as well. One of the biggest plot twists had to do with some of the main characters, and it was absolutely insane. The characters meshed together really well and I loved the different combination of people that we got to see.

This novel was adorable, and we aren't left with a cliffhanger. I think we could possibly see a sequel, although everything seems to be resolved throughout the book. I really liked this book, and I have to give it 5 out of 5 stars.

Second Sight: Episode Two (The Adelaide Paige Saga Book 2)
Second Sight: Episode Two (The Adelaide Paige Saga Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Second Sight was a great sequel to First Glance, 19 May 2015
Second Sight was a great sequel to First Glance! I loved revisiting Addy and her friends as they went through more events in their lives. The story follows well with the first book and it was great to see how the story evolved with the character developments.

One of the aspects that I like about this series is the thriller/detective work that goes into it. You can tell that Laura Hunter knows what she's talking about, and it's also very interesting to read about. I enjoyed that aspect mixed in with the romance.

The book, just like the first one, was fast paced and action packed. I loved the mystery and intrigue that was infused unto the story line, and the characters were just how I remembered them. I think that Laura L. Hunter did a great job with this novel, and I absolutely loved it.

All in all, this book was great and I am really excited for the next one in the series. Laura is a great writer and you can tell that she put research into how it all works in terms of the theme of this book. I have to give it 5 out of 5 stars.

Killing Time (For Better or for Worse Book 2)
Killing Time (For Better or for Worse Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars For Better or for Worse, 7 May 2015
Killing Time was absolutely unbelievable! What even? I have no words. We were left with an unimaginable cliffhanger from the first book, For Better or for Worse, and it was answered immediately, just to leave you with another cliffhanger at the end of this book. It was a completely crazy ride from start to finish, and I'm happy to know it's not over.

It was awesome meeting the characters that we got to know and love once again, as well as some new characters. It was interesting to see how everyone knew each other, and how even if some characters weren't together at times, they still managed to run into the same people.

The story followed really well with the first book. We got to uncover a bunch of different secrets that were hinted at in the first book, which was pretty cool. There was a lot of back story that we got to learn, and a whole bunch of unexpected stuff that happened that kept the story super interesting.

You know it's a good book when it makes you cry, which is exactly what I did at the end of this book. I need to read the next book of this series, and hopefully it comes out soon! This was a fantastic novel that I would recommend to everyone. I have to give this book 5 out of 5 stars.

For Better or For Worse
For Better or For Worse

5.0 out of 5 stars For Better or for Worse was an absolutely incredible book, 6 May 2015
For Better or for Worse was an absolutely incredible book! I definitely wasn't expecting it to be this type of story. Ingrid Nickelsen surprised me with simply the subject of the book, and how she wrote it. I thought it was genius. I haven't read many books with this concept, but I can tell you that she nailed it.

The book was really well written. I was surprised to read that this is about the life of an old woman after death. I think that it was really cool that we only got to learn things as fast as the main character did, and I love the way that we got to discover them. It was very pleasant to see what her life was like, and how it would be now.

The characters were super fun to get to know. You don't realize how they are connected until the end, which had me gaping at the book. The twists and turns, especially involving the characters are absolutely insane and definitely not expected. Evangeline was a wonderful main character, and every single one of the other characters just fit in perfectly with the story.

This story was fresh and super interesting. I am so excited to read the second book in the series, Killing Time. I can't wait to see what happens, especially with the huge cliffhangers (yes, more than one) that are left off in the end! Absolutely amazing novel, Ms. Nickelsen. I have to give this book 5 out of 5 stars.

Amour Mortel
Amour Mortel

5.0 out of 5 stars Amour Mortel was an amazing story! It was really fast paced and a ..., 6 May 2015
This review is from: Amour Mortel (Kindle Edition)
Amour Mortel was an amazing story! It was really fast paced and a nice short read, which I loved. We were thrown right into the story, learning more about how everything came to be as we kept reading.

The characters were nice to get to know, although you can't get to attached to them because the story is so short. I did enjoy getting to know them slightly though, and seeing where the story would take them.

The vampires in this story were definitely old school, and not sparkly at all, which I liked. It was interesting to see the take that the author took on her vampires, and it made the story all the more interesting.

I really liked this novel. It was well written and I can't wait to read the next book that Leah D.W. has in store for us. I have to give this book 5 out of 5 stars.

Courage Runs Red: Paranormal Romance (Blood Red Series Book 1)
Courage Runs Red: Paranormal Romance (Blood Red Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great vampire novel!, 5 May 2015
Courage Runs Red starts up and throws you right into the story. The book was really well written, as well as well thought out. It was also really fast paced, which I liked. There was no stalling on stuff that wasn't important, and it was a nice short read.

Something that I liked about this book was that it wasn't the typical 'awful vampire' nor was it the 'sparkling vampire', it was a bit of both. There are two types of vampires, which aren't that different from each other but are at the same time.

The characters were fun to get to know. I really loved the main character, Kallie, whom we get to know throughout the beginning of the book. I also really loved getting to know Liam and Caleb, and how they fit into the story.

All in all, this book was really good. I enjoyed the concept and I can't wait to read the next book in the series, whenever it comes out. W.J. May did a wonderful job with this novel, and I look forward to reading some of her other work as well. I have to give this book 5 out of 5 stars.

The Silver Lining
The Silver Lining

5.0 out of 5 stars James King? Yes please!, 4 May 2015
This review is from: The Silver Lining (Kindle Edition)
The Silver Lining was intense, and a really good story. It started off with James King, the hot bad boy, and I loved every second of it. We got to learn about him in first person right off the bat, which was good because it helped with following the story.

The characters were very interesting, and I loved seeing how they mingled with each other. It was interesting to see how they interacted with each other, and how the actions of one character would affect the others.

The story was really interesting. There was a lot of conflict and drama, which is what I wanted out of this novel. There was a ton of twists and turns, and things I was definitely was not expecting out of this book. Jennifer Raygoza really knows how to throw out plot twists.

All in all, I really enjoyed this book. It was very entertaining and I loved getting to know James and Emily. It was also really well written, which adds to its greatness. I have to give this book 5 out of 5 stars.

Best Foot Forward
Best Foot Forward

5.0 out of 5 stars Great contemporary!, 3 May 2015
This review is from: Best Foot Forward (Kindle Edition)
Best Foot Forward was awesome! Before I tell you about the story, there are two things that stood out that I thought were amazing. First of all, the main character of this story is hispanic, which is something you don't see often in books. Secondly, her best friend is gay. These are things we don't get to see enough, and I praise Jolene Buchheit for making that her book.

The story was really interesting. It starts off pretty well, getting into the life of the main character. The book was fast paced and kept my interest.The storyline followed itself really well and the story touched on very important subjects, which I loved.

The characters were really interesting to get to know. I loved getting to know them, and learning stuff as the other characters did too. There were a lot of instances that I was definitely not expecting. Jolene Buchheit had a way of springing things to your attention, things that you didn't think were going to happen.

The book was really well written. It was well structured, and I loved seeing how the characters meshed together. The ending of this book was incredible. This book was amazing, and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes YA. I have to give this book 5 out of 5 stars.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12