Profile for Valan > Reviews

Content by Valan

Valan "Mands" (Staffs, UK)

Good Food: The Ultimate Recipe Book
Good Food: The Ultimate Recipe Book
by Angela Nilsen

5.0 out of 5 stars Angela Nilsen chocolate cake IS the Ultimate!, 7 Sept. 2007
I first came across Angela Nilsens' Ultimate series in the BBC Good Food magazines, so was very interested in this cookbook. Angela has out done herself on researching and coming up with the 'ultimate' of a lot of classic/family favourites and some more modern dishes. Using tips from top chefs and experimenting with tried and tested versions of a range of dishes, to eventually present the reader with foolproof recipes that are easy to follow and bursting with taste.

The chocolate cake alone is worth the price of the book. I made enough for 200 people for a works charity event, ever since then I have had people asking me to make them a chocolate cake on a near weekly basis...it really is the best chocolate cake ever, rich and decadent!
I'll be looking out for more of Angela's cookbooks as I know her recipes wont disappoint!

Peggy Porschen's Pretty Party Cakes: Sweet and Stylish Cookies and Cakes for All Occasions
by Peggy Porschen

4.0 out of 5 stars Modern, colourful cake decorating!, 4 April 2006
Peggy Porschens bright, colourful approach to cake decorating is a refreshing change from the old fashioned style of icing. I've tried 3 of the recipes/ideas from this book already, including the fondant fancies and the flowerpot cakes. I'd give this book a 5, but some of the techniques are still a little dificult for beginners, overall though she explains them well and the book is beautifully photographed. The basic cake mixtures are extremely good too, the fondant fancies tasted wonderful.
I'm going to try the magnificent rose cake next month for a friends birthday, I'm sure she'll be blown aways if I can make it look as good as Peggys!

Session 9 [DVD]
Session 9 [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Caruso
Offered by Sound and Vision

4.0 out of 5 stars Urban Explorers dream (or should that be nightmare!?), 18 July 2003
This review is from: Session 9 [DVD] (DVD)
I'm giving this a 4 mostly because of the amazing setting for this film (Danvers mental asylum), as someone who loves exploring old abandoned buildings this was like a dream come true...though in reality this building would seriously give you the willys!
I have to admit, the story kind of failed overall for me, and I belive it could have been done so much better, and like someone has already said making more of the old patients records and history of the place would of been a fantastic idea. I did enjoy the fact that this wasn't the usual blood 'n guts fare that is boringly common these days, and I think with a little more thought to story this is the kind of horror that really gives people the creeps! The scene with the lights failing and Gordons nyctophobic nephew being chased by the dark is classic!