Profile for Donna Mills > Reviews

Content by Donna Mills

Donna Mills (London, England)

Build Your Own Website The Right Way Using HTML & CSS
Build Your Own Website The Right Way Using HTML & CSS
by Ian Lloyd

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent starting point!, 15 Aug. 2006
If you are interested in learning web design and can't decide which book you should buy first, this is definitely it! It will give you confidence and a solid foundation for further learning.

This is a wonderful book which I wholeheartedly recommend above all others as the first step on the way to learning web design. It is written very clearly in a step-by-step fashion which allows you to build on what you have just learned, and the resulting project web site is much more complete and impressive than I expected it to be.

The dialogue is very friendly and humorous at times and I felt that the author was really guiding me through the exercises. This made the book incredibly enjoyable to work through and I found that time passed by very quickly without studying feeling like a chore at all. The material from the supporting web site along with the suggested web links for further information were also fantastic.

I am very impressed by the author's obvious dedication to encouraging new web designers to follow web standards and to avoid learning bad habits. He is also keen to raise awareness of cross browser and accessibility issues.

I have learned much more than I expected from this book and am now much more confident with understanding and using code. It has also shown me that you don't need to invest loads of money on a WYSIWYG program to make a good web site; a simple text editor will do!