Profile for A. Greenwood > Reviews

Content by A. Greenwood

A. Greenwood "Music Mad" (Manchester, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Commontime
Commontime

5.0 out of 5 stars Field Music's latest awesome creation, 12 April 2016
This review is from: Commontime (Audio CD)
I haven't done a review for ages, but I felt compelled to write this now because I truly believe this album is Field Music's best yet! It's an awesome creation, showing FM at the peak of their form and it deserves to be celebrated as such.The amazing thing is that apart from the opener and 'Disappointed' it took ages to grow on me but now I am totally hooked on every single track. While there is still that landmark epic quality to some of the tracks like on previous offerings; Measure and Plumb, there is a lighter and more accessible tone to this record. It feels more poppy and even danceable - strange new waters for them indeed, but maybe a testimony to the recent onset of fatherhood!!? I don't feel myself tiring of this one any time soon! It's constantly on my playlist until I find song after song fizzing around my head, and I'm driving my two teenage girls mad by singing along! A great, distinguished piece of work from the Brewis Bros!

Chutes Too Narrow
Chutes Too Narrow

5.0 out of 5 stars Rewards so wide!, 8 April 2013
This review is from: Chutes Too Narrow (MP3 Download)
Wanted to get my hands on some of the earlier work by this great band for a while now, having discovered these guys through the Port of Morrow album. I'd had a cursory listen but finally took the plunge with this one & was not disappointed!! Sensational. Unlike P of M which had some glorious moments there isn't a single weak track here - all original and stunning in their own right! You would enjoy it if you like your music on the subtle thoughtful side or if you are a bit of an old folkie, like me!

Offered by musicMagpie

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely awe-inspiring!, 7 Jan. 2013
This review is from: 20 (Audio CD)
Being a huge folky, and having been weened on the likes of Richard Thompson, Ralph McTell & Eddi Reader, I have loved Kate Rusby's music for a good few years now, but she has reached new heights with this offering. It has virtually been on non-stop play since it was bought for me as a Christmas present! I knew many of the songs already, but they have all been masterfully re-worked for this celebration of 20 fabulous years of first class music making by one of our true greats. She makes me truly proud to hail from Yorkshire!!

I Predict a Graceful Expulsion
I Predict a Graceful Expulsion

5.0 out of 5 stars Word cannot express . . ., 2 July 2012
I am lost for words . . speechless . . . overwhelmed . . . This feels like the album that's been waiting for me all my life!

Primal . . . yet artistically focussed - new, yet simultaneously old even ancient haunting yet enlightening. I could go on! Just see/hear for yourself!

Heaven
Heaven
Offered by musicMagpie

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 2 July 2012
This review is from: Heaven (Audio CD)
Checked these lads out after Guy Garvey's recommendation, & was not disappointed! Touch of Johnny Marr of Smiths fame in the guitar playing & catchy tunes that grow & grow on each listen. Perfectly formed pop rock at least as good if not slightly better than The Shins! High praise indeed! Hard to pick out fave tracks as no weak ones - just love it more & more each time I hear it!

The Book of Books: The Bible Retold
The Book of Books: The Bible Retold
by Trevor Dennis

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, accessible and well researched, 30 April 2012
I found this version of the Bible extremely useful and readable both for public worship (especially in preaching) and private devotion and study. What comes across most is the author's profound love of the Bible and his enormous knowledge on the subject. it matters little that this book is aimed at young people as it is engaging and illuminating for any age. My nine year old has enjoyed reading it as much as I have!

Leave Your Sleep [2 Cd]
Leave Your Sleep [2 Cd]
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional, 30 April 2012
This review is from: Leave Your Sleep [2 Cd] (Audio CD)
This is a beautiful album of songs honed from a late blooming love of poetry and the harnessing of an exceptional songwriters skill. I have been a fan of Natalie's work for many years but on this album she excels herself more than ever. Spring and Fall is awesome and spine tingling and there are many more gems here and a beautifully produced booklet accompanies the CD exposing the background to each poet and their work. Truly wonderful!

Given To The Wild
Given To The Wild

5.0 out of 5 stars Accomplished third offering from The Maccabees, 27 April 2012
This review is from: Given To The Wild (Audio CD)
Loved the single - Pelican - very catchy (and, incidentally, also a great video!) However, there is nothing remotely like it in sound on the rest of the album. It has the feel of a seventies concept album in some ways but is also cool, sassy and contemporary. I am getting a great buzz out of it even after several listens and there is also a subtlety which rewards repeated listening. Love it!

A Different Kind Of Fix
A Different Kind Of Fix

4.0 out of 5 stars A real grower!, 9 Sept. 2011
This review is from: A Different Kind Of Fix (Audio CD)
Unlike Flaws, which was really what first got me hooked on this band, I wasn't instantly grabbed by this offering.

You have to give yourself to it.

When, however, you realise this is the sound of a band growing up, it all begins to make more sense. BBC are discoveing new styles and a bit more subtlety here. The lead singer, Jack Steadman, even references Scritti Politti as an influence! (You can hear this most clearly on Lights Out, Words Gone).

There are some beautiful 'heart-in-mouth' moments on some of the quieter tunes, which we have almost come to expect over time; (Fracture, Still), but there are also some real foot stompers - even catchy tunes by BBC's standards - and delivered in their own quirky way! (Your Eyes, Shuffle, How Can You Swallow So Much Sleep & Bad Timing).

In conclusion then, not as easy listening as the first two albums, but well worth persisting with!

The King Is Dead
The King Is Dead

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection!, 22 July 2011
This review is from: The King Is Dead (MP3 Download)
I absolutely adore this album, and just can't stop playing it! They are a new found band for me, but boy - am I hooked!!
How to describe their music? Well, its a subtle pallette. It's kind of R.E.M. meets nu-folk. A slightly riotous blend of Rootsy, sassy, pop! Stand-out tracks are the dance-y, infectious, 'Calamity Song' and the hauntingly aching closer, 'Dear Avery'. My money, though, is on 'June Hymn' with its gorgeously subtle music and totally genius lyric-writing. Thank you, guys, and hope to see you in the UK very soon!

Page: 1 | 2