Profile for vic15 > Reviews

vic15 (London)

Epson Perfection V33 4800dpi LED Photo Scanner
Epson Perfection V33 4800dpi LED Photo Scanner

4.0 out of 5 stars Good scanner, 19 Mar. 2011
We were looking for a simple scanner mostly for documents and a few photos but nothing too elaborate. This absolutely fits the bill and works exactly as stated. We use it with both Windows 7 and Linux and one of the reasons we chose it was because there were Linux drivers available. The scanner is slim and light, it operates quickly and quietly. It is effective at all the purposes for which we bought it and we are very happy with our choice.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2012 1:44 PM GMT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lovely Device, 19 Mar. 2011
I have had my Kindle for a couple of months and on the basis of my use and experience, I would highly recommend it. While it won't replace every book I'll ever buy, it is perfect for the 'paperback' equivalents that I might read once or twice. Reading from it is more similar to paper rather than an electronic screen due to the 'e-ink' and the difference between e-ink and lcd screen is the first immediately apparent joy.
The buttons are intuitive in their placement. Being left-handed it is great having the page turn buttons on both sides of the device.

For me though, it has really come into its own when I have been travelling. There is nothing to compare with waking up in long distant climes and having a daily British newspaper delivered directly to the Kindle. I have made some use of the browser to check email and while it is nothing like an equivalent to a 3G phone or tablet, it is possible to do and that adds another string to its bow.

I'd recommend trying it. With my Kindle, I've increased my reading generally and it has been a pleasure to use. My only niggle is that the battery doesn't last as long as advertised but it's still impressive with a good few days possible on one charge.

New Statesman
New Statesman

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent read, 8 Oct. 2010
This review is from: New Statesman (Kindle Edition)
I've been very impressed by my subscription to the 'New Statesman' and how it is presented on the Kindle. The writing is insightful and gives an interesting take on the news and the formatting makes it an easy read. I don't know if it would be a replacement for a paper copy but it's definitely worth giving it a go through the free trial.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, The Return of the King

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, 2 Sept. 2010
I ordered the Kindle version so that's the one I am writing about. I suppose it's hard to know where to start with such a well-loved classic. I came back to it after a number of years and one of the wonderful things about the book is that each reading can add a layer of new discoveries. The story is perfectly crafted and the writing is beautifully descriptive. It is hard not to feel a rush of recognition of old friends and realise how ground-breaking Tolkien was for his time.
As for the edition itself, it is well put together. There are a few minor typographical errors with missing capital letters but nothing that detracts from the reading and the story.
Wonderful book and worth every penny - even in digital form!

Learn Basic HTML
Learn Basic HTML

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 30 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Learn Basic HTML (Kindle Edition)
Bit of a con really. OK, it wasn't enough money to really care too much but it doesn't format properly and contains absolutely no information!

Trixie 6274 Hanging Bridge for Hamsters 29 x 25 x 9 cm
Trixie 6274 Hanging Bridge for Hamsters 29 x 25 x 9 cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Hammy's favourite, 30 Jun. 2010
We have two hamsters (kept separately!) and they both love their play ladders! Make sure the measurements fit the cages properly but with that proviso, a highly recommended hamster toy!

Wolf - Woodcraft Construction Kit
Wolf - Woodcraft Construction Kit
Offered by BuySend Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice wooden kit, 30 Jun. 2010
I bought this as a small present for a 12 year old along with another model as I was told she liked making these kits. It is a nice piece and arrived in good time. She seemed to lose interest half way through constructing it but I don't think that was anything to do with the actual product and was more to do with the attention level of 12 year old! Generally, I was very pleased with it and thought it was very good value for money.

Corel PaintShop Photo Express 2010 (PC CD)
Corel PaintShop Photo Express 2010 (PC CD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Adequate, 30 Jun. 2010
I have very limited needs regarding photo management - namely I want a product to help me organise, do light editing and some light projects including creating albums. For the purpose, I've found this to be one of the easier programmes to use and it suits my purposes perfectly. I can see how someone with more complex needs might not be so well served but for me, it's a nice, clean piece of software. I was also gratified by the direct-to-flickr uploading that worked very well.