Profile for Whatif > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Aftermath: Violence and the Remaking of a Self
Aftermath: Violence and the Remaking of a Self
by Susan J. Brison

5.0 out of 5 stars An acknowledgement of the far-reaching effects of trauma., 7 May 2015
I was searching online for blogs/books by people who had survived near-death experiences at the hands of others. I needed help in moving on from that experience ..... having looked death in the eye, how did one pick up the pieces of oneself and put them back together in a coherent whole? How on earth did one go on living in any meaningful way after such a trauma? My own experience was not at all like Brison's, it occured when I was a young child and here it was, still having an effect almost 60yrs on, but the reaction of others(at the time), and the disintegration of self was so similar that it made me gasp. Here was the reason for the ongoing struggle with my sanity which had eventually resulted in my current crisis.
A very sympathetic, clear-sighted and honest account of trauma and the after-shocks. Your trauma doesn't have to be similar to Brison's for this book to be helpful.

Too Much to Think: The adventures of a Solipsist
Too Much to Think: The adventures of a Solipsist
by Antoine Tarser

3.0 out of 5 stars What's a solipsist, then?, 27 Oct. 2014
I didn't know what to expect from this book(recommended to me by a friend), and I'm still not sure how to describe it but I will say this: it is worth reading and it is an enjoyable read. It does, indeed, include 'serious philosophical analysis' but that doesn't get in the way of the story ..... it made me pause and ponder a bit on the 'Meaning of Life', which I appreciated. It isn't so heavy that it is a turn-off; the alternating of the serious and the amusing are paced perfectly. Go on, give it a go!

Blueeyedboy
Blueeyedboy
by Joanne Harris

1.0 out of 5 stars Yawn, 29 April 2014
This review is from: Blueeyedboy (Paperback)
I would be interested to know if there are any Joanne Harris fans out there who enjoyed this book because I found it so awful I still have a hard time believing she wrote it! It is so different from anything she has written before .... boring hardly covers it. I don't know what else to say about it .... it was just dull, dull, dull(well, the portion I read. I didn't finish it).

The Bay at Midnight
The Bay at Midnight
by Diane Chamberlain

4.0 out of 5 stars Aftermath of the fire., 29 April 2014
This review is from: The Bay at Midnight (Paperback)
I enjoyed this very much ..... so much, in fact, that I am going to read the book that comes before it chronologically. This is something I would not normally do because I feel it would be spoiled because I knew the outcome of events. The story has interesting twists and turns in it but always remains believable. The characters are also very believable and well rounded out.

The Mystery of a Butcher's Shop (Vintage Classic Crime)
The Mystery of a Butcher's Shop (Vintage Classic Crime)
by Gladys Mitchell

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a let down :/, 29 April 2014
About 20yrs ago there was a wonderful adaptation of this on BBC Radio4 which I have tried in vain to purchase(too expensive). I bought the book in the hope of recapturing the magic of the radio play but was disappointed. In fact I gave up quite quickly. I found Ms.Mitchell's style of writing quite awkward to read and I couldn't follow the plot.

Imagine My Surprise...: Unpublished Letters to The Daily Telegraph (Telegraph Books)
by Iain Hollingshead

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of smiles, 18 Jan. 2014
Originally I was going to buy a set of three of these books(one comes out every year), but it wasn't available so I ended up with just this. I'm glad I only got the current one (which I enjoyed very much), because I don't think editions from previous years would seem so funny ....... I could be wrong. As well as making me smile a lot, I also found myself nodding in agreement with the confused and despairing correspondents.

That Old Ace in the Hole
That Old Ace in the Hole
by Annie Proulx

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 13 Oct. 2013
Annie Proulx is currently my favourite author. This is a wonderful story, made up of lots of lives interwoven. Her characters are so real, each with their own little quirks and eccentricities. Proulx's stories are never predicable and I get completely caught up in the world she creates.

One for the Money (Stephanie Plum 01)
One for the Money (Stephanie Plum 01)
by Janet Evanovich

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 13 Oct. 2013
I absolutely LOVE the Stephanie Plum trilogy. I read the last one first but that didn't spoil my enjoyment of the other two when I finally got hold of them. I love the way the lust thing keeps simmering between Plum and Morrelli ...... Evanovich has just the right pace for that: it doesn't grow tired. I also like the way she(Evanovich) doesn't dwell on the violent bits .... they make me feel uncomfortable but not enough to spoil the story.

Angels
Angels
by Marian Keyes

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh :/ ...... but then ....!, 13 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Angels (Paperback)
This is the only Marian Keyes book that I actually gave up on about halfway through because it didn't seem to be going anywhere. I didn't find the whole Hollywood film industry 'thing' interesting or funny. HOWEVER ...... stuck for something to read a week or so later, I picked it up again and finished it and enjoyed it!

The Mystery of Mercy Close
The Mystery of Mercy Close
by Marian Keyes

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Story, 13 Oct. 2013
I love Marian Keyes' books ..... I've only read one 'duff' one('Angels'), and even that redeemed itself in the end! You don't have to like mysteries to enjoy this, it's just a good story with a likeable heroine. Trips along at a good pace. I love the little bits of Irish humour in it. Better than your average '30-something-making-her-way-in-the-world' stuff.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3