Profile for J. Booth > Reviews

I Am Pilgrim
I Am Pilgrim
by Terry Hayes

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading, 2 Mar. 2016
This review is from: I Am Pilgrim (Paperback)
A very good read, well written, lots of detail but in the end 800+ pages didn't seem too long. You have to forgive the American view of the world which seeps through occasionally, then take it for what it is, a spy thriller with enough back ground info to make it plausible, yet enough James Bond style implausibility to remind you that it is just fiction.

Yamaha GL1 Guitalele - Ukelele-Size Guitar With Bag - Natural
Yamaha GL1 Guitalele - Ukelele-Size Guitar With Bag - Natural

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guitar for young beginner - and me!, 13 Sept. 2015
As a guitarist of 45+ years with many quality guitars in my collection, I went looking for a travel guitar, but bought this instead. For the money, it is unbelievably good. It would be a great guitar for young beginners yet big hands like mine can still manage quite well. Like a uke, it gives its best tone when played over the sound hole, not so good nearer the bridge - but in my experience you won't find anything better for this money.

The Endless River
The Endless River
Offered by BelgraviaTrade

4.0 out of 5 stars a collection of outtakes reassembled and augmented and made into almost an hour's music that still sounds like Pink Floyd, 21 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Endless River (Audio CD)
When you've made Dark Side Of The Moon, there are expectations that are rather hard to live up to. This is no DSOTM. But nor is it worthless. It is what it is, a collection of outtakes reassembled and augmented and made into almost an hour's music that still sounds like Pink Floyd. In fact, that's where the enjoyment is, for me - identifying scraps of melody, texture or even something more ethereal that takes me back to an earlier work. It's more background than much of their best work but they themselves describe it as "ambient" so there should be no surprise there. Those who are disappointed in this were maybe looking for something this could never be, but taken on its own as a piece of music assembled and crafted as it has been, it certainly has plenty of merit. Just don't expect earthquakes.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading..., 17 April 2013
Being sold as "The Beatles" is, to say the least, misleading. Much of the first cd is actually Tony Sheridan (and the Beat Brothers). The lack of information to go with the disc means that we can't be sure how many of the Beatles played on each track. I would guess that much of the time it was just two (Paul and Pete) and quite possibly for some of these tracks it was none. Without any background in the booklet, I am left feeling that there is a bit of a con in selling this with "The Beatles" so prominently on the cover.
Most (if not all) of the tracks are available elsewhere but I suppose it is nice to have this collection, especially for non-completists, and Tony Sheridan was a fine performer. For the price, it's good enough - just misleading.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2013 2:03 PM BST

The Pattern Beneath The Plough Parts 1 + 2
The Pattern Beneath The Plough Parts 1 + 2

1.0 out of 5 stars Is it just me?, 13 Nov. 2012
As a long standing fan of British folk rock (Fairport, Albions, Home Service, Runrig and more), I was wondering who was going to pick up the baton - and, having read glowing reviews, I thought these might be the ones. Well, they obviously please some - but, for me, this is going straight to a charity sale with a prayer that someone else out there is going to do a better job. Instrumentally it lacks drive, vocally it really grates on me. Nothing about this rocks and there's none of the atmospherics or passion that would convey any sense of understanding or feel for the material.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2014 5:46 PM BST

Broadside
Broadside

4.0 out of 5 stars Teetering on the brink, 23 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Broadside (Audio CD)
Bellowhead are on the brink. Well, maybe they're on several brinks.
Firstly they are on the brink of crossover-mainstream success. This new album has broken records for first week sales of a (real) folk album. They get invited onto Jools Holland's Later with a full share, not the usual "one song, acoustic" token folkie. People are noticing.
But they're also on the brink of being too clever for their own good. Despite the fact that this is a very enjoyable, full of confidence blast of a collection, there are indications that there perhaps needs to be a little "reining in".
It all starts well enough. Byker Hill is given the sort of treatment you might expect and all is well. Unfortunately The Old Dun Cow (track two) doesn't fare so well. It feels like someone's come up with a great arrangement without having a song to fit it, and this old club favourite has been forced in like squeezing Cushy Butterfield into a size 8 strapless frock. It squeals like it hurts. Thousands Or More isn't quite so bad but the old Copper's might have pulled a face and tutted a bit.
The other brink they need to be watchful of is Jon Boden's vocal limitations. On more than one occasion he is buried under the power of all that brass and you have to be grateful they've printed the lyrics in the booklet. They do use the chorus more often which makes me wonder if there's another voice there that could take an occasional lead just for variety, but for an album that's been recorded at Rockfield Studio, famous for "Bohemian Rhapsody" amongst others, you might have thought they might have taken more care of the vocals.
Ok, so grumbles out of the way, there is much to like about this. Yes, really, I did enjoy it. Black Beetle Pies is joyous and creepy; The Wife Of Ushers Well is intoxicating as an eery chant; it shouldn't be possible to have so much fun with What's The Life Of A Man; and Lillibulero is pure Bellowhead party time. Whatever you may think of my reservations, you still won't find anything else quite like this and, if you turn it up loud, you'll still end up exhausted from foot-tapping and aching from grinning. Now, I need a breather. Where did I put my Unthanks cd?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 1, 2012 2:16 PM GMT

M009S 8GB NATPC M009S 8GB Capacitive Android 4.2 (JELLY BEAN) , 7" ,Dual Core (2 x 1.5 GHz) Super Slim Android Tablet PC with Responsive Capacitive Screen - Flash Player 11.1 - Compatible with BBC iPlayer / Youtube / Facebook - HD 2160P - now with 8GB Storage and SKYPE VIDEO calling

4.0 out of 5 stars Keep trying!, 26 April 2012
First one arrived and was excellent - for a month. Then it just stopped working, no response at all. I contacted the supplier, returned the item and in no time got a replacement with a cheque to cover my postage costs. Unfortunately this second tablet was poor, unresponsive and impossible to operate as a result. A factory reset did not improve things and also set all the text to Chinese. Again, it was returned to the supplier. The third tablet was duly despatched with another cheque - and finally (fingers crossed) I appear to have a good one.
So my advice is, if you can get a good one (and eventually it seems you will), it's a good deal.
As for the supplier (Electroniceze), they did everything they could under the circumstances, including offering me a refund after the second device was returned.

Jumping Mouse (Hawthorn Children's Classics)
Jumping Mouse (Hawthorn Children's Classics)
by Brian Patten

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for children..., 20 Dec. 2011
I've had this book for nearly 40 years and it is one of the most precious things I have. Here's why.
When I was younger, we used to have parties (as many do) and people would sit round and talk and drink as you do. More than once, people have explored the bookshelves and picked up this volume out of curiosity. I've seen party-goers switch off from everything around them and sit down to read. After they have finished (it doesn't take that long), a conversation starts with another party goer who is persuaded to read the book there and then. And so on.
I couldn't count the number of people who've read my copy. Everyone loves it. If you have any spirit within you, you'll love it too.

The Swingin' Sixties
The Swingin' Sixties
Offered by EliteDigital UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I thought I was getting..., 6 May 2011
This review is from: The Swingin' Sixties (Audio CD)
Having read other reviews, I ordered a used copy of this from one of the marketplace sellers. Sadly, what I got was a 2-cd set of 32 tracks which were mostly not original versions but poor re-recordings. Some of the tracks mentioned in other reviews that I was hoping to get were not on the set I received. Many of the tracks on my disks I already have better (original) versions of.

This is the track listing I got:

The Yardbirds For Your Love
Johnny Preston Running Bear
Brian Poole & The Tremeloes Do You Love Me
The Four Pennies Juliet
The Troggs With A Girl Like You
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 14, 2011 12:16 AM BST

Nine (Remastered)
Nine (Remastered)

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the critics say!, 25 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Nine (Remastered) (MP3 Download)
There have been many reviews of this album that have dismissed it as unworthy. I have never understood them. This has always been one of my favourite albums from the opening bounce of Hexhamshire lass to the rocking workout that is Possibly Parsons Green. There are some wonderful deep full crunchy guitar parts, particularly in Polly and Bring 'Em Down, some great inventive arrangements (Bring 'Em Down again, and the gorgeous To Althea From Prison, Swarb's best ever vocal), and some brilliant guitar work from Jerry Donahue.
The remaster has added some live tracks and a rare instrumental but there are no great changes to the sound, perhaps a little sharper in the detail - but unlike some remastering, at least it hasn't spoiled it!
My advice? Forgot the critics. Listen to this and make your own mind up. You may be surprised just how much you enjoy it.

Page: 1 | 2