Profile for Para-Urban Review > Reviews

Content by Para-Urban Review

Para-Urban Review "Para-Urban Review" (Surrey, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
ZARMEXX Ladies Pants Harem Pants Harem-style Summer pants all over Print Casual Trousers Aladdin pants Trousers One Size - White, One size:Sz.8-14
Offered by Fashion-Factory-Le

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely item, fits me perfectly (size UK 10-12) however ..., 15 Feb. 2017
Lovely item, fits me perfectly (size UK 10-12) however anybody a little larger may find them a little tight around the hips. Selling as One Size could be misleading.

Cookey 5200mAh USB Rechargeable Hand Warmer/ USB External Battery Pack Pebbles Double-Side Wrap-around for iPhone/ Samsung Galaxy/ HTC/ SONY/ Lenovo
Offered by Cookey Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product! It was bought for a friend who ..., 15 Feb. 2017
Great product! It was bought for a friend who is currently going through Chemo and is suffering from extremely cold hands. He now has a hand-warmer he can use while relaxing at home or take with him when out and about. So easy to just plug it in and re-use constantly.

Ottomanson Bed Blankets, Bedspread, Plush Cotton Throw, Soft Cotton Cozy Blanket Waffle Solid Fleece Blanket, 125 cm W x 165 cm L, Sage Green
Offered by Ottomanson Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars light but warm so they're perfect for those winter evenings, 2 Oct. 2016
Lovely blankets, light but warm so they're perfect for those winter evenings. Folds away neatly to fit under the side tables. Colour suits our lounge perfectly too.

Angel Stakes: An Amber Farrell Novel (Bite Back Book 5)
Angel Stakes: An Amber Farrell Novel (Bite Back Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely freaking fabulous!!, 18 April 2016
Absolutely freaking fabulous!! And SO well worth the wait!

Seamlessly picking up from where Cool Hand ended, the story continues with the reader following Amber into a vortex of spiralling insane memories as her gut-wrenching, painfully suppressed past is brutally exposed in all its gory detail. We finally get to see what's inside her mental strong-box - it's dark, horrifying, and in Ambers opinion, shameful. With the support of her Kin and mentor, Amber succeeds in rising up out of her madness with a somewhat murky clarity of who - and what - she is " … And we are such stuff as dreams are made. Or nightmares." Brilliant!

Emergence has always been the underlying back-bone of the Bite Back series and Angel Stakes remains true to form. This author, unlike others, has not deviated from the clearly defined end-game and the usual politicking, subterfuge and Athenate strategies continue to simmer under the emotional blanket that make this series so spectacular: that of Amber and her Kin, her continued growth and increasing stability and how her actions influence the world around her, circling around again to influence the speed and dependencies for Emergence. Beautifully entwined, developing together yet apart.

This story is primarily based out of LA and Amber has the difficult, if not impossible, task of developing associations between the many werewolf factions and Athenate. We see her confront challenges in her usual spectacular upfront, spur of the moment style, and succeeding … mostly! The stunning, emotive writing made me catch my breath on numerous occasions and the beautiful, descriptive world building brought the city of LA alive in my mind. I found myself re-reading sections throughout the book just to get another literary emotional 'hit'!

Henwick is an anomaly - it's not every day you find an author who can write as easily about love and emotional conflict just as well as political intrigue and machinations; a writing style and content that appeals to both male and female readers alike.

Mark, once again you opened the door into Amber's world and wrenched me in! And just like the previous books in the series, I didn't want to leave when the last page was turned! And while there was one helluva cliff-hanger which potentially opens a door to another multitude of storylines for Book 6 (which I can't wait for) this book successfully ended on a high enough note to keep me sustained while I wait for the next instalment. Congratulations!

Sins of the Warrior (Grigori Legacy)
Sins of the Warrior (Grigori Legacy)
by Linda Poitevin

5.0 out of 5 stars So dark, but brilliantly and beautifully written, 18 Sept. 2015
Poitevin does not disappoint! So dark, but brilliantly and beautifully written!

Let's put aside the fact I've been waiting for this book for, like, forever! Let's also ignore that I just loved the previous 3 books in the series, that I'm a little biased and that this finale is, absolutely, the cherry on the cake! Let's put all that aside, just for a moment, whilst I try share the unbelievable emotional effect this book had on me.

Poitevin doesn't just write a damn good story, she writes a story that reaches out, hooks it's claws into your heart and drags you forcefully into the lives of her characters so deeply, you physically feel their pain, their despair, their love.... and their hope! Bloody Hell, MY hope... it burned so brightly I had no choice but to suffer it's buoyancy as I surfed the tumultuous weft and weave of the story, praying all the while that the multiple threads coming together were really humanity's survival, and not Armageddon! For the life of me, I couldn't see how this story could culminate in an ending that would allow me anything but heartache! But Poitevin did it, and boy, did she do it well! Whoop!

Sins of the Warrior dives straight into where Sins of the Lost ended with Alexander Jarvis searching for her niece who is pregnant with Lucifer's child. With just 7 days to find her before she dies giving birth, time is running out. Coupled with her sister spiralling into madness and Alex still walking the knife-edge of shattered, unbalanced emotions, her chances of saving humanity has dwindled close to zero. Seth has taken up Hell's leadership, the One's leaving has left Heaven rudderless and there are 80 thousand Nephilim children just waiting to grow up and complete the destruction of our world. The chances of Heaven and Earth surviving this epic war are woefully slim.

And the demands on Alex just keep mounting - Her job needs her to be a cop in a world gone crazy, Seth is obsessed with having Alex by his side in Hell and will move Heaven and Earth to find her (literally) and Michael is demanding she help him find Emmanuelle, the One's daughter and Seth's sister, to take up the mantle of Heaven. Without leadership, Heaven will fall. It's all too much and Alex knows it's only a matter of time before she, too, joins both her sister and mother in the welcome nothingness of insanity. She has lost everything that meant anything to her and is heartbreakingly, eternally alone.

It's a time for choices to be made, choices that appear to have no happy endings, and sacrifices that would break the strongest of people - and Angels. Alex and Michael need to put aside their differences and work together in a last-ditch effort to save humanity, the earth and themselves, from total destruction. It's a battle of good and evil, the ultimate battle between Heaven and Hell where all that remains is hope. Because without hope, it's too easy to give up.

Poitevin has captured the very essence of human nature; the sad, beautiful, heart-breaking, self-destructive human characteristics all wrapped up in a need to survive, to live, to love. We see our world from a different perspective and I challenge you to not feel a stirring of sorrow as you overlay her world with our own!

This is a beautifully written story, the culmination of 4 books in the Grigori Legacy. I've read many series where the ending leaves you feeling as if you want a little more, that there are some questions you may feel haven't been answered adequately. Not so with this one - every thread has been woven into a tapestry that finally reveals the whole picture in beautiful, graphic, colourful detail. I don't want another book in this series, I want to savour what I've read and perhaps read them all again in the future. But.... I do suspect that should Ms Poitevin decide to revisit this world, she's left a tiny, sneaky thread loosely tied for just that purpose! Let me know if you find it :-)

Well done Ms Poitevin!!

Black Blood: Special Edition: Volume 1
Black Blood: Special Edition: Volume 1
by John Hennessy

4.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastical, original tale!, 23 Aug. 2015
What a fantastical, original tale! And I just LOVE the front cover!!

"Abby had never felt the sun's warmth or a gentle breeze; she had never tasted the raw, unfiltered dust of fresh air, smelled the scent of dirt and pine trees, heard the rush of a river or the rustle of leaves......."

This excerpt, to me, underpins the emotional context for the entire story. We experience our post-apocalyptic world through Abby's newly awakened eyes - a uniquely fresh perspective where everything is strange, exciting and terrifyingly wondrous. Mr Hennessy has taken familiar paranormal characters and crafted them into something distinctly diverse, enticing and yes, scary!

Abby has always known she was different. Living in Sanctuary, the last remaining human outpost of a civilisation utterly destroyed by the last world war, life was easy if you followed the rules. No questions, no curiosity, be grateful you're one of the few survivors and....oh yeah, no emotion allowed! Until Abby wakes up one morning with her veins turned black and bulging beneath her skin - and a wealth of emotion just waiting to be unleashed. With a slow, painful death her only choice in Sanctuary, or death by the post-apocalyptic, radiated frozen elements outside, the choice is easy. She decides to run and take her chances....

Not knowing what she is, why her veins are black or why she can do some really weird stuff, Abby faces overwhelming challenges as she travels further away from the only life she's ever known. Following the unknown voice inside her, she meets with friend and foe, knowing she needs to learn who she is and why her enemies are so determined to capture her.

I'd give this story 5 stars but for a few anomalies I struggled to get my heart around. Mr Hennessy had the unenviable challenge of balancing both the hormonal rollercoaster Abby was experiencing as a human with newly awakened feelings, as well as the exciting build-up of her magical powers as they manifested. As a reader, I am personally more entranced with the magical learnings vs the emotional ones - after all, if she's going to save the world as we hope, I expected these to be more expressive and emotionally detailed than say, her kiss with Ash? Unfortunately this left me feeling a little flat overall when I know I could have been jumping around in jubilation at yet another brilliant magical feat accomplished.

Saying that, it was still so good to step into a 'new' world and not know what might come at you next! There are many threads still left unanswered and I'm looking forward to Book 2, Red Dusk, where more will be revealed! This story is filled with unique, fascinating characters and is a tale that leaves little room for predictable story-telling - Oh Yes, give me more!!

Premier Housewares Snack Table, 66 x 48 x 37 cm - Rubberwood
Premier Housewares Snack Table, 66 x 48 x 37 cm - Rubberwood
Offered by ndlwholesale

3.0 out of 5 stars Serve their purpose, 11 Aug. 2015
They're good if you don't have a table to eat on and you don't like eating on your lap. The tables are flimsy and wobble a fair bit but otherwise they're ok, especially for the price you pay for them.

Bind the Soul (Steel & Stone Book 2)
Bind the Soul (Steel & Stone Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than the first book....Wow!!, 11 Aug. 2015
***Contains Spoilers***

This book was just...wow... It was awesome. I couldn't put the first book, Chase the Dark, down the first time I read it and it was just as difficult to do it the 2nd time around too! And then you read this one, Bind the Soul, and you realise the story is only going to get more gripping as it progresses.

Ms Marie writes so beautifully, you're pulled into Piper's world first hand, you experience her pain, her joy, her growing feelings for Ash - and her panic when she realises Ash is missing. She knows there's only one place he can be - the Underworld. And it's the one place she needs to avoid like the plague now that Samael has the stone and he knows she's the only one who can wield it!

However, once again her life goes to hell in a handbasket (literally) and she finds herself a captive of Samael in the Underworld. True to the environment, the story gets quite dark and painful and we see how these events mould Piper into a stronger, more self-aware version of herself. We also gain deeper insight into the Sahar itself, how it was created and why Piper appears to be the only person who can wield it. We also begin to understand a lot more about what drives Ash and get tantalising hints of the real, caring daemon beneath the killer rep. The story of the draconian race is fascinating and I suspect this may feature somewhere in one of the many threads that will end the story.

This is where we begin to realise that sweet Piper doesn't fully understand what Ash really means to her; She comes across quite niaive and believes her concern and determination to save Ash is what friends would do for each other. But, from a readers perspective, it's clear that something totally scrumptious is blossoming between them. For readers looking for a straight romance story you may be a little disappointed.... there is definitely romance here but I just don't read romance stories per-se, and this definitely isn't one! This story beautifully combines urban fantasy, a kick-ass protagonist, gorgeously wicked heroes, fantastical new worlds and first class story-telling enchantingly wrapped up in ribbons of romance. The type of romance that leaves you wanting to lick the plate after finishing your dessert - totally more-ish!!

Piper doesn't yet realise she's led a very sheltered and protected life - I have serious issues with her father (and her mother!) and I'm really hoping that her father's way of raising her is not due to his 'non-existent parental chromosome' but because he loves her. After all, the Piper we love just wouldn't be Piper without the upbringing she had! Let's see what the next book reveals in this regard.

Now onto Book 3 of the Steel & Stone series, Yield the Night! If you're planning on reading these (and I recommend you do - they're totally, absolutely awesome!) then you should read them in order - they are not standalone novels. There are not many series out there that I just can't wait to get my hands on but this is one of them - they will have a permanent home on my bookshelf.

Chase the Dark (Steel & Stone Book 1)
Chase the Dark (Steel & Stone Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant and original book, 3 Aug. 2015
A brilliant and original book, set on a vastly changed Earth almost destroyed by humans - and saved by daemons! For their own nefarious purposes, of course!

Piper is born to 2 haemons (in itself extremely rare as most haemons are infertile), she has no magic and is a girl to boot! Girls never survive this mix - ever! Piper's only goal in life is to become a Consul like her father, but having no magic means she needs to excel in other Consul skills - like combat and diplomacy. The first she excels at and the latter, well… she's learning!

On a night she's been allocated daemon "baby-sitting" duties to two of the hottest, most wicked (and dangerous) daemons, her life goes to hell in handbasket when a powerful artifact, kept hidden in the Consulate, is stolen. Total devastation reigns as her life, family and safety crumble around her, forcing her to rely on said hot, wicked daemons to clear her name for a crime she didn’t commit - and keep her alive in order to do so!

And so begins a journey of danger, betrayal and pain as Piper discovers that the world she believed in is little more than lies and politicking from those she trusted. And while her world crumbles around her, she finds the very people she was taught to be wary of are there for her when she needs them most. This book is a journey of self-discovery, of growing up and learning that the monsters in the closet are not the worst thing to fear.

I loved this book! When I first bought it, I thought it was aimed at YA but, apart from the fact that Piper is still a teenager and there is no steamy sex scenes (although there are hints :-)) the story is exciting, mature, well brought together with several "OMG, I didn't see that coming" moments. Definitely an excellent read for both young and adult urban fantasy book lovers.

I read it twice, enjoying it so much the first time I couldn't stop and write a review before jumping into the second book (Bind The Soul, Steel & Stone Book 2). I loved it just as much the second time around, but this time I refused to start the next one before making sure I wrote this review - these books deserve all the accolades they've received to date!!

Raisonne Curse (The Brothers Bernaux)
Raisonne Curse (The Brothers Bernaux)

4.0 out of 5 stars A sweet, sometimes spicy, magical romance, 14 July 2015
Elita knew she was going to die - it was just a matter of time!

She had to find a cure for the curse that has plagued the girls in her family for 3 generations - and soon. Running away doesn't help, and Elita knows that her only option is to go back to the Bayou and find the origins of the curse - both for her survival and for her sisters who carry the same curse.

Enter Pryor Bernaux, one of three brothers who share a painful, somewhat terrifying hex that binds them to the bayou and forces them to help anybody who asks for their help - whether for hexing another or removing one. Unable to refuse, knowing he's risking his life to help Elita, Pryor agrees to try remove her curse even though his brothers are not there to support him.

The storyline, whilst only set over a few days, appears much longer as Ms Elliot has included an abundance of world-building and additional characters, some of which we are able to experience from an alternative PoV. These characters both influence and are influenced by the decisions taken by Pryor and Elita.

This is a sweet romance and an enjoyable read to wile away some time. I was a little let down in the overall "grip factor" of the story - yes, there is magic, danger both magical and mundane as well as some really funny bits - but in my opinion, it lacked that special something that results in an "OMG - I can't put this book down" moment. I am quite happy to admit it may be an age thing - I think if I was somewhat younger I would have been glued to it from start to finish. I was hoping for more depth, more excitement, more action and more Oh Wow... Revelation! moments - so I was disappointed to feel a little flat come the end of the book. (Oh, except for the one part where the brothers pay the price.... That was totally awesome!)

To be fair to Ms Elliot, this book is well written, I enjoyed the local French (I'm not from the area so can't comment on it's authenticity or relevance) and it was good to see the story come together as it should - with hope for the future, dreams of curses breaking and more romance for the brothers!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5