Profile for The Punisher > Reviews

Traced in the Air
Traced in the Air
Offered by books-store

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, 1 May 2011
This review is from: Traced in the Air (Audio CD)
Just wanted to quickly review this album giving it 5 stars. It's a perfect album and I wish they released more music, so if you're reading this Cynic, get on with it, because your skils won't last forever but masterpieces like this are timeless!

Wizard of the Crow
Wizard of the Crow
by Ngugi wa Thiong'o

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 1 May 2011
This review is from: Wizard of the Crow (Paperback)
I have nothing much to add to the previous reviews which have covered what the books is about very well. I just wanted to review this saying that it is a masterpiece and in my top 5 books of all time. Thank you Ngugi Wa Thingo.

The Unforgiving (Special Edition)
The Unforgiving (Special Edition)

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 1 May 2011
I've followed this band for about 8 years now, seen them live at Download 2006, was amazing, in my top 5 live performances of my life... The Silent Force album is a masterpiece and The Heart of Everything is very good...

This however, is not very good. Here they have lost the magic that they has surrounded them. Despite this, there are still a few songs on here that are pretty good - "Shot in the Dark", "Fire and Ice", "Stairway to the Skies", "Lost". These excellent songs do not cover up the bad songs like "Faster", "Sinead", "Murder" and the awful "Where is the edge".

A band has to evolve to stay interesting, I can't stand it when bands stick to the same formula, eg ACDC. So, Within Temptation in my opinion did the right thing to change their formula, just in this situation it hasn't worked that well for me. They will change again I am sure and I will be interested in finding out what they do.

For those of you into this sort of music, check out Edenbridge, not that well known as Within Tempation or Nightwish, but equally beautiful.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 14, 2014 7:51 PM GMT

Penguin Lost
Penguin Lost
by Andrey Kurkov

5.0 out of 5 stars Reader Won, 21 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Penguin Lost (Paperback)
This is a worthy sequel to Death and the Penguin. Although ultimately not as good, in some ways, PL is superior to the prequel. The longer story is more amusing and more tragic. The introduction of more exciting characters in Viktor's life enhances the book's appeal. A review of Kurkov should be kept brief, so let me end it by saying Penguin Lost - Reader Won.

Seven Pounds [DVD] [2009]
Seven Pounds [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Will Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Seven Pounds - worth every penny!, 21 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Seven Pounds [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
The second after it finished in the cinema, I classified this masterpiece as my favourite. In the interets of brevity, I only want to glorify three major aspects of this film that seemed to have gone unnoticed on reviews thus far.

1) The soundtrack is unbelievably effective, helping to draw out deep emotions from viewers.

2) If there was one performance worthy of an OSCAR, it was not the brilliant performances of Will Smith, Woody Harrelson or Barry Pepper. NO! Instead, it was the genius of Rosario Dawson. Why she didn't at least get a nomination I will never know...

3) The film's beginning, middle and end were all strong in every aspect. Some people who viewed it negatively that it was not entirely clear until a long while as to the plot leaves me nonplussed. Did you really want to know everything straight away? I think that the first hour's fairly equivocal nature added to the suspense of what I believe was an emotional rollercoaster more extreme than SAW - The Ride at Thorpe Park.

Basically, it's worth seeing...

The Appeal
The Appeal
by John Grisham

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, not great, 27 Dec. 2008
This review is from: The Appeal (Paperback)
I finished reading the book about 15 minutes ago after having been reading it for around 3 days. It is certainly not the greatest book. It has 500 pages and until around page 150, I was really bored, but I realise obviously that a writer has to set the scene. I read on with hope that the rest would not be as boring.

Whilst it is not such a great thriller, in that it is not really a page turner and exciting, I like the way Grisham writes. Also, the main issue in itself was intriguing - that of a public vote to elect Justices for the Supreme Court of Mississippi, politicising the judiciary, which brings up many issues, and having studied law I find the legal issues brought up in this book quite interesting. Other issues that are interesting are the questionable views of the majority of the people in Mississipi as portrayed by Grisham in that they are against gay marriage in the name of Christianity and other views that you don't seem to come across everyday in Britain - like their obsession with owning guns - and it is interesting to compare our culture with theirs.

I have not regretted reading this book, it has not been a waste of my time -only spending three days on it and I got it half price, but at the same time, I would not recommend it as there are many greater books out there including other ones that Grisham has written. But if you are interested in certain above mentioned issues, then I recommend it.