Profile for Emily > Reviews

Content by Emily

Emily

Story Teller Collection [DVD] [1988] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Story Teller Collection [DVD] [1988] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

4.0 out of 5 stars THIS is what is missing from children's TV nowadays!, 17 Oct. 2010
I was so excited to find this absolute gem after searching everywhere here in Australia. There are so many moments from this series that have stayed with me since my first viewing back in the 1980s.

It is dark, poignant, funny and beautiful... not a patronising or preachy moment to be seen despite the fact that it holds so many important moral messages. It also reminds me of the incredible power of puppetry and how CGI has not quite managed to capture its charm.

I can't wait for my children (when I have them) to see this.

The Alan Partridge Complete Box Set [DVD]
The Alan Partridge Complete Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steve Coogan

4.0 out of 5 stars The most awkward man on television!, 2 Aug. 2010
I only recently discovered the hilarity that it Alan Partridge (before you scoff, I'm based in Australia!)

Both 'Knowing Me, Knowing You' and 'I am Alan Partridge' show clearly the footsteps in which shows such as 'The Office' and 'Extras' later trod. Coogan is a master at portraying the awkward cluelessness and blunt arrogance that is Alan Partridge, and does so without making it easy on himself with too many catchphrases (except for the brilliant 'Aha!', which has now become my entry cry to any room!)

I am told by many of my UK buddies that AP is seen as a bit 'old hat', but I'm urging you all to give it a rewatch (or a first watch)and get back in touch with this gem!