Profile for andrew scott > Reviews

Content by andrew scott

andrew scott

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Surgical Tie-On Face Mask (Box of 50)
Surgical Tie-On Face Mask (Box of 50)
Offered by Easier To

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 17 Oct. 2015
Seems to work.

Voice - The Best Of Beverley Knight
Voice - The Best Of Beverley Knight
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars When your in the mood - Beverley Knight., 17 Oct. 2015
Beverley seems to deliver quality but I am not overly passionate with respect to this music.

I associate the quality of delivery and arrangements more with the Americas but this seems O.K.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 20, 2016 6:59 PM GMT

The Composer of Desafinado Plays

5.0 out of 5 stars Slight Obsession closed off after over 50 years., 17 Oct. 2015
I wrote a review prior to ordering it. Now it has been downloaded it hasn't disappointed after over 50 years.

I don't know if the Brazillians still produce the "quiet" bossa-nova unlike the louder Carioca Festival stuff but one does tend to float around the room to this.

Rachmaninov: Symphony No 2 - EMI Masters
Rachmaninov: Symphony No 2 - EMI Masters

5.0 out of 5 stars Rachmaninov - last of the romantics?, 17 Oct. 2015
I was not aware or even conscious of Rachmaninov or his creative work. Now I am.

The Andre Previn and LSO recording may be somewhat aged but appeared very expressive.

Very enjoyable and entertaining listening just before bedtime.

Offered by trec002

5.0 out of 5 stars Quintessential., 4 Jan. 2015
I was a little boy when my father brought this home with a long player of Frank Sinatra doing his thing with Antonio as well. I was pre-pubescent then. Strange how I was hooked then and 51 years later as well. I will order this CD version when convenient. As far as I know my Father never bought any other records in his life.

Quality shows I suppose.

Bream Edition, Vol.1 - Golden Age of English Lute Music
Bream Edition, Vol.1 - Golden Age of English Lute Music
Offered by marvelio-uk

3.0 out of 5 stars It needs a careful listen to appreciate the nuances., 3 Dec. 2014
Bream's expertise as a musician is recognised correctly. I seem to like it the more I play it. The Elizabethans were expert in their day although musical tastes have changed. By comparison to the Spanish guitar the English lute seems limited in range and and difficult to master (as I am not a musician I am not sure about this point). I am in spite of this very proud that, my early countrymen and women could have conspired to create something so expressive when handled as Julian Bream does.

Not sure how the instrument is fairing now.

Separate Tables [1958] [DVD]
Separate Tables [1958] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Deborah Kerr

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and "off beat"., 14 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Separate Tables [1958] [DVD] (DVD)
I first saw this film version of Terrence Rattigan's play some decades ago. The monochrome presentation seemed to add to the rather emotionally fraught piece. Rattigan was a homosexual and the women's roles were very strong, possibly because of this. I'm not sure if Ben Hecht or Rattigan intended this but the post war UK austerity did come through.

I bought this on a memory and a not too serious whim.

Not bad, I will add it too my collection. My wife may enjoy this more than me when she has the time.

Sinatra/Jobim: The Complete Reprise Recordings
Sinatra/Jobim: The Complete Reprise Recordings

5.0 out of 5 stars Review: Sinatra/Jobim, 4 Mar. 2014
When I was a little boy in 1966/7 my father brought home the vinyl version of the first half of this. Instead of the Beatles I listened to this. He said "If you like classical then listen to this!".

I rediscovered this after a long absence when my son found a CD in my deceased mother's bits and pieces. My father passed away some years ago.

It is very "gratifying" to know that after 47 years I'm still hooked.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 29, 2015 3:32 PM GMT

Beethoven: Symphony No.6 'Pastoral'
Beethoven: Symphony No.6 'Pastoral'

5.0 out of 5 stars Review: Otto Klemperor (Pastoral)., 4 Mar. 2014
As a member of the "great unwashed" I found this rendition of the (boss/Beethoven) gorgeous to listen to. I will never get tired of it.

Classic Canes Walking Stick Folding and Adjustable, Black, 31-35-Inch Size
Classic Canes Walking Stick Folding and Adjustable, Black, 31-35-Inch Size
Offered by Amazing Health

3.0 out of 5 stars Review: Walking Cane, 4 Mar. 2014
A non'slip hand grip would obviate the need for a wrist strap more and would be more comfortable to hold. The walking cane was just about tall enough for me but a taller man would find the whole device useless. The ferrol did not grip the floor as well as a soft rubber one would, as a result I thought more about the placing of the cane on the floor when walking. As a folding cane for travelling it was easy to assemble at moments notice and was strong in construction.

I am content to use again if needed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3