Profile for B. Woodhead > Reviews

Content by B. Woodhead

B. Woodhead "Benjo"

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars (Virtually) no TV Guide!, 20 Oct. 2012
I don't normally write reviews but I'm so unimpressed with this receiver on account of one extraordinary oversight that I believe one is necessary.

This box features no TV guide that lists all channels and shows what's on each one over the next few hours. A guide is available but this will only give you 'now and next' information for the specific channel that the box is tuned into when you open the guide meaning that you'd have to cycle through every channel to get an idea of what's on!

Terrible product. But I guess you get what you pay for...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 4, 2012 1:14 PM GMT

Sony DVP-NS705 Silver DVD Player
Sony DVP-NS705 Silver DVD Player

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Player, plenty of features, great brand and easy-to-use, 7 Jan. 2003
I bought the DVP-NS705 in December 2002 as a Christmas present to myself and the rest of my family because we had recently bought a Sony 32ins flat/widescreen 100Hz TV and I thought I might as well get a decent DVD to go underneath it.
When I switched it on, I was surprised with how easy the quick set-up was for those who want to play with it as soon as they get it out of the box. However, I read-up on all of the different features in the manual to ensure that I was not disappointed with a waste of £200. To ensure that you get the best picture, it uses a 'digital video enhancer' to make the picture appear clear and crisp by enhancing the outlines and images. And it really works.
For some strange reason, Sony have incorporated a 'Block Noise Reduction (BNR)' function to alter the picture quality. Block noise is a sort of mosaic pattern similar to pixelation, which appears on the screen. There are three number settings plus an off setting for this function (three being the most effective) and I just keep mine on three for an obvious reason- the best picture.
This DVD player has a 27MHz/10 bit video D/A converter and a 192 KHz/24 bit audio D/A converter. Because the sound is handled by one converter and the video by another, sound and video are improved significantly. Another feature is that it compensates for the problem of not resuming DVD's from the point you left off last by...guess...re-starting the DVD's from the point you left off last for up to 40 discs. This is useful because it means that you do not have to write down the chapter and time at which you stopped and ejected the disc.
I do not have surround sound speakers and I can see the attraction. I have never experienced them and am not particularly interested. The DVD player has a built-in Dolby 5.1 and DTS (Digital Theatre Sound) decoders for surround sound for linkage to speakers and a digital (optical) output for linkage to a receiver.
As the other reviewer said, there is a slight delay between the transferrence between reading of layer one and two but this is a characteristic of DVD players. Perhaps, in the future this will be alleviated, but it is only for about a second.
I am overall very pleased with this DVD player.

Halo (Xbox)
Halo (Xbox)
Offered by marxwax

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shoot 'em up - lacks barely anything, 9 Nov. 2002
This review is from: Halo (Xbox) (Video Game)
I got this game along with Project Gotham Racing and Dead or Alive III (freebie - I wouldn't pay for that!!) and I was truly amazed!! Many people say that the only thing that the X-Box has going for it is its 64Mb graphics card and 750MHz (i think it is) processor, but as said in another review, the story line is faultless. It's difficult to find a game's storyline at all surprising, but Halo definitely did that for me.
The first level is a little dull in terms of story line and action, but at this point I was absolutely astonished by the sharp graphics and brilliant sound.
It probably isn't the best time to buy a games console (in the first term of your AS levels) and I was glued to this game from start to finish. I'm now on the last level, which I suppose doesn't say much for the game's length as I've only had it for 3 or 4 weeks, but there are still two more difficulty levels to do!
Some criticisms are the lack of weapons, the shortness of it, and of course, the fact that there's a PC version coming out in a year, which sort of takes's the rip out of the fact that it says "Only for X Box" at the top of the case. Oh well- that's Microsoft for you.