Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Profile for ArgoLies > Reviews

Content by ArgoLies

ArgoLies

Perfidia
Perfidia
by James Ellroy

3.0 out of 5 stars This is better than The Cold Six Thousand, 26 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Perfidia (Paperback)
I thought the sequence of the Black Dahlia through to White Jazz was superb with a level of plotting and style I had not read before. Since then his style has become too abrupt and there is too much slang - even if it is authentic - without the plotting or tension. This is better than The Cold Six Thousand, which was unreadable, but is the last time I will try this author.

The Dying Light
The Dying Light
by Henry Porter

3.0 out of 5 stars Good page turner, 26 Dec. 2011
This review is from: The Dying Light (Paperback)
I have just finished this after compulsively reading the last few hundred pages but, at the same time, not enjoying it very much. The characters are all rather basic and similar to each other and the plot is also rather basic, centred on some dirty dealings by the UK government that I think the author has a particular bee in his bonnet about. It is all competently done but with leaden prose and a perfunctory sex scene at the end. It is the third pedestrian 'thriller' I have read in the past month or so that I have read quickly but have not enjoyed much...I am starting to think that I am never going to find another well written thriller.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 17, 2013 11:41 PM BST