Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Ed Sheeran on Amazon Music Shop now Shop now
Profile for A. J. McGowan > Reviews

Content by A. J. McGowan

A. J. McGowan (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Mind the Gap
Mind the Gap
by Phil Earle

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, by the best ..., 19 Feb. 2017
This review is from: Mind the Gap (Paperback)
I've read all of Phil Earle's books for young adults, and this is one of the best. It's intended for reluctant readers, but it'll resonate with anyone who loves a good story. The prose is taught as a violin string, the characters realistic, the setting gritty, the story incredibly moving. Earle is perhaps the finest current writer of YA, and I hope this book finds the wider audience it deserves.

Beck
Beck
by Mal Peet

5.0 out of 5 stars I've long loved the work of both Mal Peet and Meg Rosoff ..., 28 Sept. 2016
This review is from: Beck (Hardcover)
I've long loved the work of both Mal Peet and Meg Rosoff - two authors who, though often described as writing YA are, in fact, universal novelists, defying pigeonholing. I read Beck initially wondering if I could pick apart their very different voices - Peet is a dense, dark, allusive writer, his prose both knotty and smooth, like an oiled Turkish wrestler, whereas Rosoff is lighter, quirkier, and the depth and the darkness only strike you randomly, unexpectedly, when their impact is all the greater. Anyway, my attempt to unpick the voices lasted less than a chapter. Beck is such an enthralling, exciting, terrifying read that you forget about the prose, and feel swept along by this story of a mixed race boy growing up in a Depression-hit Canada. It works as an adventure story, and works as a profound psychological novel. Brilliant.

Hollywood F1 Deluxe 3 Bike Car Rack
Hollywood F1 Deluxe 3 Bike Car Rack
Offered by Adventure Northumberland

4.0 out of 5 stars I was surprised how easy this was to attach - I expected to be ..., 28 Sept. 2016
I was surprised how easy this was to attach - I expected to be spending hours wrestling with it, but it really was just a few minutes. Very sturdy. Two bikes fit easily. I'd be a little wary of three ...

Apple Smart Cover for iPad Mini - Blue
Apple Smart Cover for iPad Mini - Blue
Offered by Tribal UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 28 Sept. 2016
Nice, smart, and cheap (if you buy a used one ...)

The Girl Who Broke the Rules (George McKenzie, Book 2)
The Girl Who Broke the Rules (George McKenzie, Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best thrillers of the year, 4 July 2016
A brilliant thriller, with an engaging central character. Read everything you can get hold of by Riches - there's no one quite as good as her at this sort of thing right now.

The End of Vandalism
The End of Vandalism
by Tom Drury

3.0 out of 5 stars Great lines, slow narrative, 4 July 2016
This review is from: The End of Vandalism (Paperback)
There are moments of comic genius in this book, but I've found the narrative to be a little underpowered. It meanders gently along, and I've loved individual lines, paragraphs and pages. But then I've found myself leaving it down for a few days, as there just isn't much narrative tension. But it's a pleasant, charming, and unusual novel.

ASICS Gel-220 Not Out, Men's Cricket Shoes, White (White/Indigo Blue/Silver 0149), 10.5 UK (46 EU)

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a spinner or trundler, 4 July 2016
The fit on these came up quite large. And they really are more of a bowling shoe than one for batting/fielding - they're quite chunky, and not at all lightweight. Perfect for a spinner or trundler, rather than an outright fast bowler. I wish I'd gone for something a little more slimline.

The Son
The Son

5.0 out of 5 stars A magnificent book - one of the best I've read over the past decade, 25 May 2016
This review is from: The Son (Kindle Edition)
A magnificent book - one of the best I've read over the past decade. the scenes set among the Comanches are hugely harrowing, but also fascinating and moving. The other sections don't work quite as well, but nothing here is dull. It'll make you understand the American South West better. It'll enthrall and shock you. It does what all great fiction should do, entertain, educate, amaze. A truly great book.

Snow Country (Penguin Modern Classics)
Snow Country (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Yasunari Kawabata

4.0 out of 5 stars And yet I loved the book, 12 Mar. 2016
This is the first novel I've read by Kawabata, and I'll confess myself uncertain about how I feel. The story is both slight and yet profound. The feelings of the characters veiled, for the most part, emerging only occasionally, in flashes of sunlight, or through the weak flapping of a dying moth. There is much incidental interest about the life of the geisha, and the vacationing habits of wealthy Japanese in the middle of the last century, but that's hardly enough to warrant the title of a masterpiece. And yet I loved the book, and was moved by it, and I'll certainly read everything else by Kawabata I can get my hands on. (Of course, not speaking Japanese, I can't say anything about the quality of the translation other than that it reads very well in English).

Rolson 28226 9-in-1 Precision Screwdriver
Rolson 28226 9-in-1 Precision Screwdriver

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 29 Feb. 2016
A dinky little tool - nicely made, cheap, handy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17