Profile for Jones > Reviews

Links
Links
by Nuruddin Farah

5.0 out of 5 stars Journey into the heart of the conflict, 22 July 2005
This review is from: Links (Paperback)
LINKS is a brilliantly written work that introduces and familiarizes us to the intriguing nation called Somalia. We are taken into the depth of Somali culture, the complex nature of its society and suffocating grip of its history. The characters we encounter are full of life and vitality, manifesting good and evil in their different ways and situations. I enjoyed the story and came out of it having a better understanding of Somalia. Triple Agent Double Cross, Disgrace, A Continent for the Taking, Disciples of Fortune, are also books about Africa that I consider as recommended read.

Changes : A Love Story
Changes : A Love Story
by Ama Ata Aidoo

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely loved this, 22 July 2005
This review is from: Changes : A Love Story (Paperback)
This love story is a very entertaining dealing with lives of women in a changing African society. It mirrors the social and cultural diversity of Africans and the depth of the African psyche even in the modern world. I enjoyed this rich, well-written, challenging and fascinating story. The Usurper and Other Stories, The Village of waiting, Anthills of the Savannah, Triple Agent Double Cross are some of the other African titles I enjoyed.

Arrow of God (Heinemann African Writers Series)
Arrow of God (Heinemann African Writers Series)
by Chinua Achebe

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely wonderful, 22 July 2005
ARROW OF GOD is just as good as THINGS FALL APART, if not better. The story is based on the exotic traditional village culture of the Igbo nation in Western Nigeria. It is one of the African best literary works I have read. Achebe took us into Ezeulu's changing world and did what few writers can do- make us understand it all. It reminded me of other traditional African stories such as USURPER AND OTHER STORIES, MATIGARI, and OUR SISTER KILLJOY. I enjoyed all of these stories and recommend them to lovers of African literature.