Profile for whirla > Reviews

Hot Milk
Hot Milk
by Deborah Levy

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 5 Dec. 2016
This review is from: Hot Milk (Hardcover)
I loved this book. I thought it was clever, interesting and subtle and I couldn't put it down. It may be the best exploration of "victim as perpetrator" that I've ever read. I thought about it for a long time after I'd read it, in particular its exploration of how we are all our own worst enemy.

The Sellout: WINNER OF THE MAN BOOKER PRIZE 2016
The Sellout: WINNER OF THE MAN BOOKER PRIZE 2016
by Paul Beatty

1.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs down, 5 Dec. 2016
Either this is a return to the established tradition of unreadable books winning the Booker Prize or I am as thick as two short planks and have no sense of humour.

Thinking, Fast and Slow
Thinking, Fast and Slow
by Daniel Kahneman

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful and interesting, 2 Aug. 2016
All the way through this book I found myself questioning Kahneman's ideas, examining them, and coming to the conclusion he was almost certainly right. If for no other reasons, read this book for its examination of what makes a good decision, and its description of how most people mis-evaluate risk (including me). All this has been extremely useful in keeping me sane whilst we sell our house. Yes, it has changed the way I think - far more so and far more usefully than any so-called "self help" book I have ever read.

How to Get Filthy Rich In Rising Asia
How to Get Filthy Rich In Rising Asia

3.0 out of 5 stars Black comedy - pretty good, 21 Aug. 2013
Interesting concept, well written, manages to be funny and depressing at the same time. But nothing "special special", I didn't think

The Liars' Gospel
The Liars' Gospel

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 17 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Liars' Gospel (Kindle Edition)
Interesting, thought provoking, compellingly written, believable characters. I was bought up a Christian and so was very interested as to what a Jewish writer would make of the life of Christ and I wasn't disappointed. Jesus IS a difficult figure - all you non religious people don't believe that "gentle, meek and mild" stuff - he wasn't at all. He was angry, weird to his family, confrontational, sometimes bizarre, rude and clearly self destructive. He was also brilliant, challenging, continuously revolutionary, insistent that we think for ourselves and generally profound. I do find the debates about women priests and homosexual marriage within the Christian community pretty funny as it's quite clear from the gospels that Jesus wouldn't have given a toss. Alderman brings all this out, as well as the core message at the heart of the teaching. If you're interested in Jesus of Nazareth at all, either as a religious or historical figure then give this book a go, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

John Saturnall's Feast
John Saturnall's Feast

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite an interesting read, 27 Dec. 2012
I quite enjoyed the first two thirds of this book but it seemed to me to run out of steam and I got the distinct impression that the author didn't really know how to finish it. It has a lot of story but not much plot - it just sort of keeps going until it gets to the end. It promises to be thought provoking and subtle, but doesn't manage to be either. However it does have some good ideas and it's worth giving it a go if you don't want to read anything too demanding.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing voice, 27 Dec. 2012
This review is from: 21 (MP3 Download)
I'm really enjoying this album. I think Adele has an amazing voice and she interprets the songs very well. They are all a bit "samey", so if you don't like torch songs, don't buy this, but if you do you'll love it.

The Garden of Evening Mists
The Garden of Evening Mists

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring boring boring, 27 Dec. 2012
Is it true this got shortlisted for the Booker? If so, how did that happen? Not sure how you can turn the experience of a prisoner of war into something so unrelentingly dull, but Eng has managed it.

Sweet Tooth
Sweet Tooth

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly adequate, but not one of his best, 27 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Sweet Tooth (Kindle Edition)
Sweet Tooth is a perfectly adequate novel, but not one of McEwan's best. Frankly, it's a little ordinary and annoyingly self referential - frankly I think authors need to move past the urge to refer to their previous works or make "jokes" on one another's little foibles (Martin Amis appears as a character). It was fun in the 80s, but that's a long time ago now. But if you're looking for something to pass the time over Christmas, you could do a lot worse than read this.

The Closed Circle
The Closed Circle

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a disappointment, 4 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Closed Circle (Kindle Edition)
I bought this after loving The Rotters' Club but it didn't live up to expectations. I just didn't believe that Paul had turned into a smarmy, shallow and rather stupid New Labour MP - the way he was described in the first book implied he'd grow up to be some brilliant but hideously waspish and unpleasant academic. None of the other characters was any more believable and seemed to bear almost no relation to their younger selves. A shame. If you haven't already done so, read the Rotters' Club instead. It's a far better book.