Profile for O. E. Jones > Reviews

O. E. Jones

Tough
Tough

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough enough, 8 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Tough (Audio CD)
Bought this on spec and very glad I did. I've always been a fan of the old guys ridin' into the sunset leavin' a great last album behind (a la Charlie Louvin, Billie Joe Shaver etc.) and this fits the bill. A giant of British Blues speaking his mind and inspiring his band to deliver music of the highest order. If you were to be overly critical, you might think the lyrics a bit basic at times but the man's honesty carries him through. And with such a great band chooglin' him along, he's carried with the respect he so richly deserves.

Joe Meek: The Alchemist of Pop - Home Made Hits and Rarities 1958-1966
Joe Meek: The Alchemist of Pop - Home Made Hits and Rarities 1958-1966

5.0 out of 5 stars Whaddaguy!, 28 Sept. 2009
This just pure and simply blew me away. I've been aware of him for many years, liked the odd track, hummed along and left it at that but Boy! was I ever wrong! This guy needs serious re-visiting, re-appraising or re-constructing from the ashes of his reputation. Anyone with a serious interest in music or popular culture should dive into Joe's world without hesitation. From the Forest of Dean to the King of Teen is a mighty leap but Joe pulled it off with aplomb. Play his stuff and then play Spector and tell me who's the greatest. No contest, take it away Satellite Joe (get the book by John Repsch as well). Gloucester's finest radio/TV repairman who produced some of the greatest teen pop ever heard. Whaddaguy!

Bob Dylan Radio Radio Volume 1
Bob Dylan Radio Radio Volume 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Bob's yer uncle., 28 Sept. 2009
What more does he need to do? Greatest Folk singer becomes greatest Protest singer becomes greatest Rock'n'Roller becomes greatest Gospel singer becomes a half-decent poet and DJ. Not bad Mr Jones but after 20 years of schoolin' they still put you on the dayshift. Dylan is laying it on the line here. The Man is 100% honest and pure. These tracks are where he got it all from. This is how he did it, the trick is revealed in glorious technicolour and it's a thing of great beauty. You can't go wrong here, the man is a musical giant and his selections are beyond reproach. He knows his Americana, Blues, Gospel, R'n'R, Country, RockaBilly etc. to the ninth degree and he's givin' to you on a plate. Only one thing I did wrong....

Howlin Wolf In Concert 1970 [DVD]
Howlin Wolf In Concert 1970 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Howlin Wolf

5.0 out of 5 stars Living History., 28 Sept. 2009
The old tail-dragger meets campus kids. The wolf bares his considerable soul in front of collage kids who are too naive or too distracted to care. They ain't seen nuthin' like the Wolf and they ain't too sure how to react. But Chester ain't bothered, he tells it as it is as he's always done and always will. Be honest, be brave, be true and be great. If a better man ever stood on a stage - mail me. Otherwise, press play and rejoyce.

Memphis days - The definitive edition Vol.2
Memphis days - The definitive edition Vol.2

5.0 out of 5 stars Sam and the Wolf., 28 Sept. 2009
Visionary producer meets innovative bluesman - what could possibly go wrong? Nothing! and nothing does on this superb set of early blues from the Wolf. How many more years, Baby ride with me, Moanin' at midnight, The wolf is at your door, all on the Sun label. How much emotional history can you take? Essential listening. Buy it now along with Vol. 1.

Travels with the Flea: And Other Eccentric Journeys
Travels with the Flea: And Other Eccentric Journeys
by Jim Perrin

5.0 out of 5 stars Long live the Flea!, 27 Sept. 2009
I walk, I climb therfore I am. I first came across Jim Perrin when a friend lent me his Snowdonia book and it blew me away. I've read most of his stuff since and recommend that you do the same. He's one of those rare people who think the right thing, defend the right thing and do the right thing. I can't fault this guy at all (maybe not as good a climber as Don). Hell, he was even a shepheard in Cwm Pennant down the road from me so I'm biased. Got to say, he's more erudite than the hippie on the cover with a pint but what do I know? Suberb collection of travel tales with his beloved Flea. This is up there with Newby and Raban. Enjoy.

Trout Fishing in America
Trout Fishing in America
by Richard Brautigan

5.0 out of 5 stars Crazy Dick's Masterpiece., 27 Sept. 2009
Talk about "when I paint my masterpiece" this is the exception which proves the rule. I first read this in the psychedelic days of long ago and laughed and cried in equal measure. Iconoclastic, bombastic, poetic, anarchic and just plain off the wall(ic) it launched a thousand dreams and burst a million bubbles. Make no mistake, this guy can write and is up there with the top American scribes. Timeless prose leaving enough space for your own interpretation. I liked it so much I became the founding member of International Troutism. Buy and believe.

Hank Williams - Honky Tonk Blues [DVD]
Hank Williams - Honky Tonk Blues [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hank Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Good ol' Hank, 27 Sept. 2009
Anyone interested in music should get to know Hank. "Hear that lonesome whistle blow" is an pertinent today as when young Hank heard it comin' through the purple sky. Dead at 29 and leaving behind a body of work beyond the ken of most folks. I won't list the songs or state the obvious. Do yourself a favour - buy this DVD. It's about music, the road, art, life and Hank.