Profile for s.cowell > Reviews

Starman: David Bowie - The Definitive Biography
Starman: David Bowie - The Definitive Biography
by Paul Trynka

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly the definitive biography, 20 Mar. 2011
I was a massive Bowie fan from Space Oddity onwards, and carried Ziggy Stardust around South London in my damp and excited teenage hand, like some Christian convert with their first copy of the Bible. So, many decades later, I started this book with a sense of expectation, hoping to learn a few more secrets about one of our greatest musical talents. I'm pleased to say it delivered everything I hoped for and more.

I think this is an exceptionally well researched and brilliantly pieced together biography. Trynka has a very lucid style, and a great angle on Bowie; outlining his unique ability to steal and completely transform unlikely musical sources, to create new personas in an idiom which had, hitherto, been the province of close knit bands or solo artists. Bowie defied all categories, because of his rare intelligence and his mercurial nature. He really was a completely new phenomenon for the time, which was why he was so magical to those of us who loved him and were transformed by his work.

If Bowie read this biog, I hope he would approve, because I feel Trynka has been fair to the man, and although, obviously a fan himself; has also been honest about his human frailties.

A really excellent read.