Profile for Claire > Reviews

Content by Claire

Claire

Take Note
Take Note

5.0 out of 5 stars ... I needed was another notebook but I am so happy I added this tasty little number to my collection, 20 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Take Note (Office Product)
Anyone who knows me knows that the last thing I needed was another notebook but I am so happy I added this tasty little number to my collection. Beautifully bound and printed, lovely paper choice, extremely useful mix of grid types (lined, square, plain...) and of course the lovely tips on each page make a really nice touch. I would highly recommend this notebook as a present for a friend or family member or for yourself. A great little notebook!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 21, 2015 10:13 PM BST

LEGO Friends 3934: Mia's Puppy House
LEGO Friends 3934: Mia's Puppy House
Offered by Bold Trader

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely overpriced, 18 Nov. 2014
This is currently being sold for over £25 and is not worth a penny over £10. It is completely overpriced for the amount of lego you get. Would strongly recommend not buying this as you will be disappointed when you see the size when it arrives.

Paul Thurlby's Alphabet
Paul Thurlby's Alphabet
by Paul Thurlby
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning book for kids and adults, 25 Mar. 2014
Like most of the children's books I buy for nieces and nephews, I bought this because it was beautifully designed. Gorgeous illustrations and excellent use of colour!

Not all of these beautiful books I buy are that popular with the recipients however... This one has broken the mould and become a firm favourite with my (3 year old) niece and now, one of her Auntie/niece past-times is to act out the letters as we practice the alphabet. Her favourite letter is 'B' as she loves to bounce all over the room like a lunatic.

My sister went and bought a second book to cut out the pages for framing much to the delight of my crazy niece.

I would highly recommend this book

Know Your Onions Web Design: Jet Propel Yourself into the Driving Seat of a Top-Class Web Designer and Hurtle towards Creative Stardom
by Drew de Soto

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like the original – a great resource, 25 Mar. 2014
I had been eagerly awaiting this book after loving the author's first book Know your Onions Graphic Design.

I wasn't disappointed. Like the first, this book is a great resource for those who are starting out in their web design career or indeed, those who've been doing it for years (like me!) and need a refresher and some new tips.

I did wonder how useful the book was going to be before I read it. The goal posts are forever changing when designing for the internet so I was worried the content would become outdated within a few months... I needn't have worried though as this book concerns itself with the conventions and principles of web design and the processes a designer should go through rather than preaching about what's cool at the moment. In fact, there's nothing 'preachy' about this book, it's a good approachable tone of voice thoughtout. I found the chapters on navigation and colour particularly useful.

I can honestly say that reading this book taught me lots of new tricks, gave me lots of inspiration for ways of approaching future projects and was a really interesting read. It looks fantastic too which for someone who judges a book by their cover is an important thing.

An easy 5 stars from me.

Know Your Onions: Graphic Design: How to Think Like a Creative, Act Like a Businessman and Design Like a God
by Drew de Soto

4.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had read this 10 years ago, 17 Feb. 2012
As with all graphic design books I buy (and I buy a lot!) I bought Know your Onions because I liked the look and feel of it. Beautiful binding, excellent stock and some sexy typography - it's a gorgeous book. However, I hadn't actually expected to learn much from it. I thought I knew it all having worked in the graphic design industry for 10+ years.

Turns out I didn't know it all. The author is not only extremely knowledgeable in his field but he also has some excellent time-saving tips that I never would have thought of using. I especially enjoyed the section on the principles of typography.

I would recommend this book to anyone in the design industry whether they're starting out or have been in the industry a lifetime. There's still plenty to learn as I just have.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 16, 2017 12:02 AM GMT