Profile for Mr. Paul White > Reviews

Hunger: The Sean Kelly Autobiography
Hunger: The Sean Kelly Autobiography
by Sean Kelly

5.0 out of 5 stars Hunger - it does what it says on the cover!, 9 Nov. 2015
As Sir Brad says in his intro - a real working class hero and a fantastic read! Just a shame there are no photos in the paperback version...

Stig of the Dump (A Puffin Book)
Stig of the Dump (A Puffin Book)
by Clive King

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Adventure Ahead, 9 Nov. 2015
This book is about a boy called Barney and his big sister Lou who are living at their gran's house opposite a dump. Little do they know the adventure they are about to have...
It was just an average day when Barney went down to the dump. Then he fell into the dump and met Stig. After he goes home to tell everyone about him but they don't believe him. A few weeks later, he goes to visit Stig and he meets the Snargets who take Barney hostage. Luckily he escapes and finds Stig and the Snargets are terrified of him at first, but then they all decide to be friends.
Who knows what adventures await ahead...

Ben Owen
Year 6

Tales from Shakespeare: The Tempest
Tales from Shakespeare: The Tempest
by Caroline Plaisted

5.0 out of 5 stars A Mysterious Journey, 6 Jan. 2015
This is an amazing book with not one single part that will make you bored (my guarantee!) - read on to find out more.
A lonely island with a mythical creature living on it is visited by quite a few unwelcome guests. This fantastic book is absolutely jam-packed full of surprises, magic, traps and even some royal romance. Don't worry though, it's not one of those romantic 'kissy' stories, it's actually a brilliant adventure book. In fact, it's so full of detail and amazement I'm surprised it hasn't exploded!
My favourite part of the book is the ending, but if I told you that it would ruin the whole book! I guess you'll just have to read the book to find out for yourself. It's not just the ending either, let's just say that I am a very satisfied customer. Why not see what you think? You'll love your purchase and you will NOT regret it.
I would personally recommend this book to children aged 9 and over as (like most Shakespeare stories) it has quite a complex plot. The Tempest is now my favourite book and will most definitely be yours.
Full of creativity lurking inside and incredible detail on every page - Definitely get this book!

Archie Matthews
Year 6 Pupil
Squirrels Heath Junior School
Romford

Private Peaceful
Private Peaceful
by Michael Morpurgo

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Unexpected Twists and Turns, 16 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Private Peaceful (Paperback)
Introduction: Private Peaceful is a very moving book that will reach into your heart and surprise you, with lots of unexpected twists and turns.
What it's about: This book is about a boy called Tommo Peaceful (set during World War One) and is written as a young boy looking back over his shoulders into the past of his childhood spent living in the countryside. But every moment he spends remembering his old fun life, he's missing out on things that are more important and could be gone in such a flash that he won't even realise before it's too late.
My favourite character: Charlie Peaceful who's Tommo's big brother and always looks out for him.
Least favourite character: Sergeant Hanley - he's just mean and nasty to Charlie, Tommo and the rest of their friends.
Recommendation: I would STRONGLY recommend this book to children 10 years and over, because the story does include some grown up language and inappropriate subjects for younger readers.
Thank you for reading my review - when, and if, you have time read this AMAZING book!
Tobi Gbotaye
Year 6
Squirrels Heath Junior School

Oliver Twist (Foundation Classics)
Oliver Twist (Foundation Classics)
by Pauline Francis
Edition: Library Binding

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Awesome book!, 7 Nov. 2013
About the book: This heartwarming book is about a young boy who starts off life in workhouse. Unfortunately, Oliver gets passed around many different homes, then he reaches Mr Brownlow's house, where he becomes very happy until they get separated. Will they ever get reunited?
Favourite Part: My absolute favourite part is... oh wait, I can't tell you because my favourite part is the ending. If I told you the ending then it would ruin this amazing book for you.
Least Favourite Part: Even though this book is one of the best books I've ever read, I still have a least favourite part - when Bill Sikes angrily beats unfortunate Nancy to death!
Recommendation: I would recommend this book to ages 8 plus because due to the fact that younger readers may find parts disturbing. This book will touch the hearts of people young and old and that is why you should buy this extremely awesome book today!
By Caitlin Taylor (aged 10)

Floodland
Floodland
by Marcus Sedgwick

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic adventure story, 20 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Floodland (Paperback)
The Characters
- Zoe is the main character and needs to find her parents, but things go wrong when she gets caught in a storm.
- Dooby is nasty and he's the leader of the Eels. He only likes Zoe and other members of his tribe.
- Munchkin is kinder than the other Eels and doesn't fight like the rest of the tribe.
- Spat loves fighting (he dies; Dooby kills him) and goes out with Sarah.
- William is mad, but some of his stories are true.

The Plot
The story centres around a girl called Zoe who is determined to find her parents. She fixes a boat called Lyca and sets off in search of them.

My Opinion
I think it is a hilarious and exciting book. There's lots of adventure - everytime you finish a page it's like you're saying in your head "What's going to happen next?" It is a fantastic book - I would give it 5 stars out of five and highly recommend it!

There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom
There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom
by Louis Sachar

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing and funny book - read it!!, 4 Nov. 2012
This book is a funny book for the whole family, the beginning is really funny and made me giggle. Then the rest of the book is hilarious, except at the end when it is sad, but not too sad.

The main characters include Bradley who is bad and horrid, but becomes nice. Jeff is cool and awesome and very nice. Colleen and her friends don't like Bradley. Carla is Bradley's friend and Mrs Ebbel is his school teacher. The setting for the book is in the USA and some words are American. Jeff is from Washington DC, the capital city.

My favourite part is when Jeff walks into the girls' bathroom - it made our whole class laugh their socks off! I would recommend this book to anyone who likes comedy because it is such an amazing and funny book. Ha ha ha!

Benjamin Green 5W

Esio Trot
Esio Trot
by Roald Dahl

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Tortoise Tale!, 23 April 2011
This review is from: Esio Trot (Paperback)
The book Esio Trot is full of comedy and drama. It feels like I'm acting it out, but I really like it when the word 'poo' arrives. By the way this book is written by Roald Dahl.
The book is all about a tortoise called Alfie and how Mrs Silver wants Alfie to grow up. My family and friends will all enjoy this whopping book because it is cute. So I will give it 5 out of 5 for school, but for me I will give it one million out of ten!!

Buy it and read it today.

Sam Chatfield

Robin Hood Prince Of Thieves [1991] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kevin Costner
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy it and try it!, 20 Oct. 2010
I liked the Robin Hood film because it was entertaining, funny and exciting. My favourite character was the Sheriff of Nottingham because although he is mean and evil, I thought he was funny. My opinion is that the film was great. Robin Hood has a group of friends they call themselves The Merry Men. These characters are Robin's friends Friar Tuck, Little John, Maid Marion, the King and Wilf a little boy. Robin Hood and the Merry Men live in deep damp Sherwood Forest. The Sheriff lives in a big castle with lots of guards to stop you from getting in the castle. The Sheriff's gang also have lots of weapons used for fighting their enemies. I give this film 4/5. It is a brilliant film, so try watching it today. It is fabulous so remember buy it and try it!

By Poppy Gevaux
Year 3 pupil
Hilldene Primary School

Robin Hood (Young Reading (Series 2)) (Young Reading Series Two)
Robin Hood (Young Reading (Series 2)) (Young Reading Series Two)
by Rob Lloyd Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this fantastic book!, 20 Oct. 2010
The Robin Hood story is fantastic. I love the book because it's so fun. Its very action packed. It makes me so happy like I'm already inside the story - its fun, crazy, mad and action packed. The story may be gruesome but also super fun. This whopping smashing story is so cool you'll want to be in the story yourself. I would give this story five stars because it is so cool. I would like to tell you about my favourite part when Jack tripped the Sheriff into the dungeon. The story begins in the village near Sherwood Forest when Jack threw horse dung into the Sheriff's face. But actually I would give the story 11 out of 10.

By Priestly Adejo