Profile for Ashleigh Diamond > Reviews

Ashleigh Diamond

Americanah
Americanah

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 5 July 2015
This review is from: Americanah (Kindle Edition)
This novel is the sort that awakens your literary soul. Rich and diverse characters that you liked and disliked and most importantly had an opinion on. The description of culture and life in all three continents covered is compelling - a real insight into immigration and assimilation

All My Love, Detrick: A Historical Novel Of Love And Survival During The Holocaust (All My Love Detrick Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars High hopes but low outcome, 9 Oct. 2013
This book was a nice read but overall, I thought it was poor. The dialogue was painfully cliched, the side stories weren't concluded. The story had the potential to be really powerful but there is so much lacking, characters were given a begining but no ending.

And the Mountains Echoed
And the Mountains Echoed

3.0 out of 5 stars 50/50, 31 July 2013
I had seriously high hopes for this book. Hosseini's writing is, as always, beautifully crafted, like reading one long poem.

However I (and I hate to even say this) do have some reservations. I felt that a lot of the characters weren't explored deeply enough, Pari for example, we are rushed through her youth and into her adolesence and adulthood and everything feels rushed.

The two cousins who travel to Kabul - there story wasn't closed, I was left with a number of questions and felt a little cheated.

I urge fans of Hosseini to read this book as it still takes you on that journey, that he shapes so well, but for those expecting another top 5 read, as I feel about A Thousand Splendid Suns, you may be left slightly disapointed. Sorry :(

Sweet Tooth
Sweet Tooth

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyed!!!!, 31 July 2013
This review is from: Sweet Tooth (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book, as a twenty something living in London and with an English degree to boot I could resonate with Serena's story.

McEwan's style here is impeccably dry and satirically English, which for me was a joy.

A book all about books - a must rwad