Profile for Mr. M. E. Watts > Reviews

Content by Mr. M. E. Watts

Mr. M. E. Watts "KILLERWATTS" (PORTSMOUTH UNITED KINGDOM)

Page: 1 | 2
Donald Fagen: Concepts For Jazz/Rock Piano [DVD]
Donald Fagen: Concepts For Jazz/Rock Piano [DVD]
Dvd ~ Donald Fagen
Offered by marvelio-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars COOLEST MAN ON THE PLANET, 13 Aug. 2007
What a terrific DVD. As I said in the title of this review Donald Fagen is the coolest man on the planet as the way he explains the techniques involved in playing and composing several tracks from some of his albums it makes you believe you can really understand what he is talking about. It was also great to hear the mighty Bosendorfer piano and that lovely Rhodes piano, which sounded as if it had just one "tine" that had come adrift! I think this DVD was more enjoyable than listening to the albums (not really) All joking aside I thought this DVD was very good and although I haven't seen any of the other DVDs in the series they are such a great idea being a long term guitarist who has just taken up the keyboard I might have to look into obtaining some guitar lesson DVDs to see if I am doing it right!

Cycling's Golden Age: Heroes of the Post-war Era 1946-1967
Cycling's Golden Age: Heroes of the Post-war Era 1946-1967
by Owen Mulholland

5.0 out of 5 stars My golden age re-lived, 14 May 2007
As an old wrinkly who remembers most of the people and events (1955-1976)in this book, I was pleasantly surprised to read this book as it gave me a refershingly new slant on the events that took place during that period.

It is a wonderful insight into the lives of most of my boyhood cycling heroes which doesn't just list their acheivements in the usual way, i.e. detailed race results with endless distance versus time charts. As someone who has lost interest in the sport since the 1980's due to the onset of chemically assisted prowess,if the press is to be believed,I really enjoy reading books such as this one which covers the Tour De France from the late 1940's to 1967 and I really envy the author his privileged personal contacts with some of my favourite cyclists of that period. I still enjoy watching the exploits of the riders in the current classic cycle races on TV but I can't conjure up the same sense of wonderment about the sport that I had in my early days of watching and even taking part in it ( I can't quite accept the idea or the look of plastic bikes! )so I was thrilled to receive this book and add it my collection of similar books about the subject. Well done Owen Mulholland!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 27, 2009 7:40 PM GMT

Blues Band
Blues Band

3.0 out of 5 stars SUPER HI-FI?, 2 May 2007
This review is from: Blues Band (Audio CD)
Being an audio recording enthusiast I waited with bated breath to hear this album by the Vivino Brothers. It was recorded using a supposedly super quality recording system, the name of which escapes me, so I couldn't wait to receive my copy of this album. Now don't get me wrong, the musical content was very good and highly enjoyable but maybe all those years of playing in rock bands must have impeded my ability to become an Audiophile but it didn't sound any different (or worse) than all the other CD's that I own, but that didn't spoil my enjoyment of the music by the Vivino Brothers which was both interesting and refreshingly different from most of the self-indulgent examples of this particular musical genre. Their playing was pleasantly different and extremely competent and it sounded as if they were enjoying themselves and I enjoyed it too but super Hi-Fi it wasn't.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 8, 2016 5:20 PM BST