Profile for TheBookshelf > Reviews

TheBookshelf

Page: 1 | 2
I Am Pilgrim
I Am Pilgrim

5.0 out of 5 stars this works on so many levels and I'd recommend it hugely, 8 Sept. 2015
This review is from: I Am Pilgrim (Kindle Edition)
I know this doesn't need another five star review, but it definitely deserves it - incredibly clever and a level above any other action thriller I've read recently, this works on so many levels and I'd recommend it hugely.

Particular highlights include Pilgrim himself and Ben Bradley, a textbook wisecracking sidekick who somehow feels totally believable. It's got two ingenious locked-room mysteries worthy of Agatha Christie, and a terrorist plotline that you'll whiz through - it's a big book, but I feel like I read it in no time at all.

Slight reservation, felt like the author's own politics came through a little at points, but it's only a really minor gripe - was hugely excited to see the author has a new book coming next year, and I'll certainly be buying it

Doctor of the High Fells
Doctor of the High Fells

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 8 Sept. 2015
I've read a few of Elizabeth Gill's books now and I find them such a consistent pleasure. She sweeps you along with a great story full of totally believable characters. It took a chapter or so to get into this but as soon as it moves back to England this is as good as anything she's written - it's charming and convincing, and Prue is a wonderful character - really interesting to read in the author's note about the real women she's based on!

Beyond the Wall: Exploring George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, From A Game of Thrones to A Dance with Drago

4.0 out of 5 stars More please!, 7 Sept. 2015
I love the concept of this book, and I'm so glad it exists! One or two of these essays are a little bit uninspired, but almost all of them were interesting, and some (especially the one about the graphic novel) were really excellent. Would warmly recommend.

The Iron Castle (Outlaw Chronicles Book 6)
The Iron Castle (Outlaw Chronicles Book 6)

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly excellent, 7 Sept. 2015
new to Angus Donald, but I really enjoyed this - great sense of the tension around the siege building, and the action scenes are terrific. One quibble would be his depiction of female characters - there are barely any (fair enough, given the setting), but those there are were really terribly drawn

Rubbernecker
Rubbernecker

4.0 out of 5 stars Great writing, ok plot, 10 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Rubbernecker (Kindle Edition)
I really liked the premise of the autistic investigator, and also really liked the passages from the perspective of the man in the coma. This is really enjoyable and fast-paced, but the ending is a little bit uninspired - I feel like crime novel fans might find it a bit disappointing, whereas those looking for a more general good read will enjoy it.

Their Eyes Were Watching God: A Novel
Their Eyes Were Watching God: A Novel

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, if not as world-changing as some of the quotes suggest, 10 Jun. 2014
As you'd expect, this is quite an old-fashioned novel, and is as slow and charming and comfortable as that would suggest. It's perhaps one of those cases where the book is more significant to study and to understand than it is enjoyable to read, as nothing within it seems too groundbreaking today.

This Is How You Lose Her
This Is How You Lose Her

3.0 out of 5 stars Great voice, a little bit wasted, 10 Jun. 2014
The narrative voice here is incredible - electric, engaging, fun, sad... Unfortunately I didn't much get on with the content. This is essentially a collection of short stories on a theme (infidelity and crumbling relationships), and it feels a bit too repetitive and bitty to get fully involved with many of the characters. Am very tempted to read his other books though...

No Place to Go [Explicit]
No Place to Go [Explicit]

4.0 out of 5 stars A great souvenir from the live show, 24 Dec. 2013
Saw this live in London last month and really enjoyed it, and was pleased to see this available. The music is eclectic, covering a range of different styles, but tending towards cabaret. The tunes are fine and the vocals competent, but it's the lyrics which really stand out, and sadly this doesn't capture all the witty asides from the stage show. Nonetheless it's still very enjoyable. My top 3 tracks would be Mighty Mensch (a touching and heartfelt eulogy), Three-Tear Plan and the closing number Nothing But a Comeback, but the range means I think everyone would get something different out of it.

The Fault in Our Stars
The Fault in Our Stars

5.0 out of 5 stars In tears while I write..., 23 Dec. 2013
I've never shed so many tears over a book as I did for this. It isn't perfect - Augustus is a bit too 2D - but it's beautiful and tragic and wonderful. Luckily I'm in no place to comment on how true it is to the reality of cancer (which I'm sure varies endlessly from case to case anyway), but for me it felt heartbreakingly credible, and I wish more books reminded us of the existence of those who I guess we sometimes fear to remember

Mortality
Mortality

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful but short, 13 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Mortality (Kindle Edition)
This is a really engaging read - you feel like you follow Hitchens from diagnosis to deathbed, through the highs and lows, with direct access to one of the world's brightest minds thoughts on the world's oldest problem. The only problem (or, perhaps, regret) is that it's a bit brief, but that can hardly be held against Christopher Hitchens. Writing as a Christian who disagrees with much of what Hitchens has to say, this is still heartbreaking and relevant for anyone.

Page: 1 | 2