Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Shop now Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's
Profile for A. J. Garfitt > Reviews

Content by A. J. Garfitt

A. J. Garfitt "missgarfitt3" (Oxford, UK)

Advent At Ephesus
Advent At Ephesus

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Advent music, 12 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Advent At Ephesus (MP3 Download)
This is a beautiful recording of Advent songs and carols, by a convent in the US.

Over the last couple of years, I have slowly begun to "reclaim" Advent for myself; I now spend this time in waiting, and preparing my heart for the coming of our Saviour, instead of "living like it's Christmas" for a month, building up rapidly to the big Christmas Rush for a climax. Not beginning Christmas celebrations until Advent is over, on Christmas Eve, I am now loathe to start listening to Christmas carols until Christmas Eve. But what to listen to instead? Advent carols, of course!
Advent carols and songs have very much gone out of fashion over recent years, and many people are not even aware of the difference between Advent carols and Christmas carols (some of the albums on Amazon purporting to be "Advent carols" contain Christmas carols as well); but Advent carols are beautiful in their own right, containing all the longing and hope of mankind for its Saviour.
On "Advent at Ephesus" the nuns sing unaccompanied, which brings a freshness to the music, and immediately gives a very different feel from the joyous, rousing organ accompaniments of Christmas carols. These songs also have their joy, but it is a different kind of joy: a quieter, as-yet unfulfilled joy, but full of hope and expectation. Sit back, relax, and let it wash over you. Christmas is coming soon...

Sky West And Crooked [DVD] [1966]
Sky West And Crooked [DVD] [1966]
Dvd ~ Hayley Mills

5.0 out of 5 stars A little-known British gem..., 16 Feb. 2012
In this Hayley Mills film, made some years after her more famous films - Pollyanna and The Parent Trap etc. - Hayley is now 20 years old, and is directed by her father John Mills.

The story is about a 17 year old girl with learning difficulties called Bridie, who is described in the film by one man as being 'sky west and crooked'. Seven years before the story starts Bridie is involved in an accident with a childhood playmate, who subsequently dies. The adults around her never tell her what happened, and she blocks it out of her memory, but Bridie is blamed for the death by some, and regarded as 'dangerous'.

One day some gypsies arrive near by, and one gypsy lad befriends her, and talks to her and treats her as an adult, which no-one has ever done before. This is the beginning of many events which change Bridie's life for ever.

Hayley Mills shines under her father's direction, and in my opinion is a better, more natural actress than in any of her previous films. Sky West and Crooked is such a slow gentle film, that it's almost hard to believe it was ever shown in a cinema, but it's a little British gem, and well worth watching.

Campion: The Complete Collection [1989] [DVD]
Campion: The Complete Collection [1989] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Davison

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable whodunnits - but a disappointing Campion, 15 Jun. 2008
Having read and enjoyed many of the books, and knowing Peter Davison to be wonderful actor, I came to these adaptations full of hope; I was disappointed. Although the stories are well adapted, and the settings often just as I imagined, Campion fell far short of expectation. His character has been changed almost beyond recognition. Where is his high voice? His facility? His apparent imbecility? Every now and then it pokes its nose through, but it's not consistent. I would recommend these as enjoyable whodunnits to those who have never read the books; but if you know and love Campion, stear clear.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2010 11:53 AM BST

A Sunday with Grandpa
A Sunday with Grandpa
by Philippe Dupasquier

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, 20 Feb. 2008
This review is from: A Sunday with Grandpa (Paperback)
This is a lovely book, enjoyable both for children and adults - I am 20 and enjoyed it. It is written and illustrated by a frenchman (translated into English) but it could be set in any western country. It reminded me of Sundays with my own grandpa. I particularly identified with the illustrations of all the tools in his shed.

There's a Nightmare in My Cupboard (Pocket Puffin)
There's a Nightmare in My Cupboard (Pocket Puffin)
by Mercer Mayer

5.0 out of 5 stars the most lovable nightmare ever!, 29 Jun. 2006
I remember this book from when I was little. Both my sister and I enjoyed it at the same time, and we are 6 years apart, so it's good for all ages.

This may well cure your child of the fear of monsters/nightmares in the cupboard forever when they read about how scared this one is. I have never forgotten the sweet face of the nightmare when it was finally encouraged by the little boy to come out into the bedroom; so good illustrations as well as story line.