Profile for anon > Reviews

Content by anon

anon

Mockingjay (Hunger Games Trilogy)
Mockingjay (Hunger Games Trilogy)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 12 Dec. 2013
If you are like me and are impatient to wait for another 2 years to find out what happens to Katniss and co. Then this is surely worth the effort. A few interesting twists and an ending that fits I don't think you would be disappointed. I'm still unsure about splitting this into two movies but I guess there is more than enough in the book to do it. Anyway enjoy!

Dungeon Master's Kit: An Essential 4th Edtion D&d Kit (4th Edition D&d) (Dungeons & Dragons)
by Wizards RPG Team
Edition: Game

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful, not perfect..., 7 Dec. 2010
This is a review from the perspective of someone who already owns some dungeons and dragons books (original 3 PHB, DMG and MM) and so the review kind of reflects that to a certain extent this product isn't really aimed at me, but is for all the others out there who are, like me, curious about the new range and wonder if its worth picking up. Although i've given it 3 stars its more like 3.5 (it doesn't let you do that)

This is the second essentials product I have purchased. The first was the rules compendium which has been for me an 'essential' product in that it was cheap, had all the main rules you would require at the table and smaller and lighter than the other books for carrying to said table.

So the dungeon masters book inside the box is very much the content from the original dmg with some extras from dmg 2, so its quite handy in that respect, but at the table I don't have much call for looking up dmg rules as pretty much all the most 'table used' rules are in the rules compendium.
The box is actually a really good selling point, from the fact you can put quite a lot inside i've found it useful just as a means of taking stuff from A to B and keeping all the little tokens and such handy.

The good:
Very high quality printed tokens and full colour adventure booklet although I haven't played it as I run a Dark Sun campaign I may steal some encounters from it and adapt them.
The screen has up to date charts and tables on it so if you are too lazy to make your own (like me) then its very handy for the updated monster damage, skill DCs and conditions.
High quality printed maps

The not so good:
The screen is kind of thin compared to other dm screens out there but to be fair it was probably due to there not being enough space in the box more than anything. Personally I think they could have made it one panel less and made it thicker (and smaller) as I feel there is a lot of information I just won't use on there, but again, probably a personal preference.
The maps, although very good are only really useful for the adventures in the kit and not very generic. I personally would have preferred a blank wet/dry erase type map like the ones Paizo sell (which I bought anyway) which would have had much more use and longevity.
Magic Items??? I know that the adventurers vaults have stacks of them, but I think it would have been great to have had a better selection (or even a book of them) in the DM's kit, seeing as they are a bit of a Dnd staple, although some would probably disagree with me on this as you can easily make your own.

Overall despite the tagline on the box that says 'everything you need to run a game of Dnd' you can't really. Granted you could run the adventures in the box, but then you'd be stuck, so its a bit daft marketing it like that. I do like the box but its far from being amazing, but I was aware of that when I bought it so I'm happy I have it, it just could have been better.

Dark Sun Campaign Setting: A 4th Edition D&d Supplement (Dungeons & Dragons)
Dark Sun Campaign Setting: A 4th Edition D&d Supplement (Dungeons & Dragons)
by Richard Baker

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark Sun: The other review, 8 Sept. 2010
Seeing the earlier reviewer blast this book I thought i'd provide an opposite opinion. I too am a huge fan of 2e Dark Sun and eagerly awaited this product, buying it as soon as it came out. In my opinion it completely lives up to my expectations. Sure, there isn't different mechanics specifically laid out for each of the races that matches the way 2e did them, Elf run being the prime example, but then to a certain extent those mechanics were always a little unbalanced and felt more like 'flavour'. For example that Half Giants could shift alignment pretty much at will would be a bit pointless in the 4th edition as you can just choose to be 'unaligned' anyway. I could go on comparing the two but its a non argument. This is a rebooted version of the setting but much of the history and geography remains the same which I for one applaud. In particular you are not forced to follow in the footsteps of Rikus, Tithian and the heroes from the novels which is a blessing (and I plan to kill them off in the first few sessions of my campaign) and you are free to develop the plot of the world as you choose. If you have old 2e sourcebooks don't throw them away, they'll provide some use here too, particularly if you have the dune trader, veiled alliance and elves of athas sourcebooks (all good background info). So why not give it 5 stars? Well, as much as I really like what they have done with this version its not perfect, some things have been sacrificed in the name of 'balance' such as half-giants being medium sized and Thri-Kreen no longer have use of all their arms to wield weapons and so on. However as its your game if you wanted these things you could change them anyway so I really don't think its a major issue. I disagree with the previous poster about the fixation on combat, that might be a general moan from anyone that plays 4th edition, but the game is what you make of it. If you want all roleplay and little rollplay there is more than enough here to keep you going. However the 'adventure' at the back is a bit throwaway and unless you have players that are completely new to 4th edition and dark sun and need some practice encounters its a bit linear and dull.

In summary, great homage to the original setting with some really neat new ideas (character themes are excellent, nod to 2nd edition character kits for those that remember) but might require some work and research of older published books to really get the most out of it.

Xbox 360 Wireless 'N' Network Adaptor (Xbox 360)
Xbox 360 Wireless 'N' Network Adaptor (Xbox 360)

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 4 July 2010
If you want the flexibility of wireless on your 360 and you dont want to upgrade to the new system you can do no wrong here. Setup is a breeze and it works, nothing more to be said. Would be nice if it wasn't so expensive but what can you do...