Profile for Helen Hollick > Reviews

The Lady in the Van [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Maggie Smith
Offered by Rikdev Media

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb acting, 13 July 2016
A little disappointed, but only a very little - the acting is superb, the fun enormous, I think I was expecting a few more 'laughs' though because that was the impression the trailers for the movie gave.
All the same - well worth watching.

AURELIA (Roma Nova)
AURELIA (Roma Nova)
by Alison Morton

5.0 out of 5 stars What is there not to like...., 13 July 2016
This review is from: AURELIA (Roma Nova) (Paperback)
Well what is there not to like about an Alison Morton? I guess only one thing - the wait for the next novel to be written and published!

Medicus:  A Crime Novel of the Roman Empire  (Medicus  Book 1)
Medicus: A Crime Novel of the Roman Empire (Medicus Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 13 July 2016
Oh I loved this! It was fun, it was engrossing, it was exciting and absorbing - and while I did guess the 'romance' outcome the 'who-did-it' was a surprise (although I was certain I'd spotted the culprit fairly early on - how wrong could I be! LOL)
Eagerly moving on to the next now....

The Nile Conspiracy (Legends of the Winged Scarab Book 5)
The Nile Conspiracy (Legends of the Winged Scarab Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable read, 13 July 2016
The only thing I know about ancient Egypt are a few familiar names, and Liz Taylor in Cleopatra. However, I feel I've had quite a few gaps filled in now that I've read this enthralling novel of Ms Borg's. I only wish I'd had the warm sunshine as a backdrop to reading it!
Looking forward, now to reading more by this talented author.

Seamanship in the Age of Sail
Seamanship in the Age of Sail
by John Harland

5.0 out of 5 stars A Ten star book!, 4 July 2016
I needed good books to research my own fiction writing. I found this one on the bookshelf in a charity shop and grabbed it, assuming that even if it wasn't much use, the price of £5 wouldn't break the bank and was for charity...my goodness, what a find!
The book contains everything you want to know about sailing a tall ship - and what's more, in an easy to understand way. Frankly this is a ten star book not just five!

The Queen [DVD] [2006]
The Queen [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Helen Mirren
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars very enjoyable, 25 Jun. 2016
This review is from: The Queen [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I really enjoy this movie. Helen Mirreb i ssuperb. No idea how accurate the history is, but it is good to view things from the 'other side' not the media hype.

PHILIP'S MONTH-BY-MONTH STARGAZING 2016
PHILIP'S MONTH-BY-MONTH STARGAZING 2016
by Heather Couper

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to use and understand, 25 Jun. 2016
practical, useful and easy to understand. All I need now is a clear sky...

Whore of Babylon
Whore of Babylon

3.0 out of 5 stars Good characters, 6 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Whore of Babylon (Kindle Edition)
a good idea, good characters, a subject that is a little different, but I found some scenes a little repetitive. Although this did not bother me personally, some readers may find the content disturbing - but then the title should indicate this.

That Which Was So Fair - A Ghost Story
That Which Was So Fair - A Ghost Story
by Tony Reynolds

4.0 out of 5 stars Victorian Ghosts..., 6 Jun. 2016
A ghost story set in Victorian England. Tony Reynolds has done his research well and produced a ghost story that is a little different to the norm (although I was thinking of Jane Eyre a lot at the beginning - shadows of a creepy house, a widow etc.) That Which Was So Far would make an ideal lazing in the sun read - or come winter, a cozy curl up in front of the fire with a glass of wine, cheese and crackers read!

Call to Juno (A Tale of Ancient Rome)
Call to Juno (A Tale of Ancient Rome)
by Elisabeth Storrs

5.0 out of 5 stars Calling to Juno - so vivid, you expect an answer!, 19 May 2016
Elisabeth Storrs brings Ancient Rome vividly to life; her skill as a writer is equivalent to a time machine – we are there amid the history and the drama, immersed so deep that in calling to June we expect her to answer back…”
Excellent read