Profile for travel freak > Reviews

Time Out Shortlist London 2008
Time Out Shortlist London 2008
by Time Out Guides Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars thumbs up, 14 Dec. 2009
grat little book with loads of useful tips and advice- the best city gude I ever used..

Italian Neighbours: An Englishman in Verona
Italian Neighbours: An Englishman in Verona
by Tim Parks

3.0 out of 5 stars not my cup of tea, 14 Dec. 2009
After reading all those grat reviews- I was really disappointed when I strated reading the book myself..I cant's say it's bad- I just dont like his style-nor the way he describes the Italian people- like some kind of freak show.
It makes them look so bad - quite contrary to my own experience of Italians..I really asked myself why does he live there at all- if everything is so bad/strange/caotic ???

This was a first book in a long while I did not bother finishing at all..but dont be put off - its a matter of taste- Parks is still a skilled writer....

The Unofficial Guide to San Francisco (Unofficial Guides)
The Unofficial Guide to San Francisco (Unofficial Guides)
by Richard Sterling

3.0 out of 5 stars really disappointing, 27 Jan. 2007
I bought this book because I hoped to find insider tips and "secret" advice that only locals know...but found none..I mean the advice is ok and reviews of the hotels and restaurants seem to be accurate as well but there was nothing you would not find in " normal" guides like lonely planet ..Ok Unofficial has ratings for hotels restaurants and attractions but you can get them from many web-sites like tripadviser and yelp..

I've been to SF before and done all the typical touristy stuff..that s why I bought this book and expected to discover hidden gems..but unfortunately found none.

This book is ok for first time visitors but there is not much more value when compared to "traditional" guides