Profile for Mr. L. S. Brennan > Reviews

Content by Mr. L. S. Brennan

Mr. L. S. Brennan "Le Bren" (London, England)

Captain Beyond
Captain Beyond
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars One of The Best Albums of The 1970's, 9 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Captain Beyond (Audio CD)
This album really has it all and these guys should have been as well known as Deep Purple, Sabbath and Zeppelin; from the perfect artwork (this is easily one of the most striking albums covers I have ever seen and one of my all time favourites) to the awesome progressive hard rock contained within, these guys were Rush before Rush existed.

Larry Reinhardt's riffs are superb, Bobby Caldwell's highly technical drumming is a major highlight of the album to which Lee Dorman locks in to with perfection and lastly Rod Evans' singing proving that he could sing heavier material after Deep Purple kicked him out for that very reason. Everything just clicked perfectly on this album.

This is honestly one of my most beloved albums and I personally hold it in as high regard as albums such as Black Sabbath's Paranoid, Led Zeppelin IV, Deep Purple' In Rock and Rush's Moving Pictures. Buy it now!

Cheat The Gallows
Cheat The Gallows

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Cheat The Gallows (MP3 Download)
This album was by far the best album of 2008, how this band is not massive is completely and utterly beyond me, if this band were around in the 1970's they would be HUGE. Best tracks are Blackball, The Evils of Rock & Roll, The Game and Superstar. Saw these guys performing this album and some older songs off of the Hex album plus an awesome cover of Pink Floyd's Have A Cigar at the Barfly in Camden and could not believe a band as talented as Bigelf were playing such a small venue, they totally blew me away and I still remember it as one of he best gigs I've been to. Highly recommended.

Hex
Hex

5.0 out of 5 stars Stone Cold Classic, 7 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Hex (MP3 Download)
If this album were released in the 70's we'd be hailing Bigelf as legends today. An absolute 5 star album and my favourite Bigelf album. Mixes Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Queen and The Beatles to sheer perfection. Stand out tracks are Madhatter, Pain Killers, Sunshine Suicide, Black Moth and Carry The Load. This is one of the best albums released since the 1970's. Awesome.

Into The Maelstrom
Into The Maelstrom
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars Bigelf Into The Maelstrom - 4 Stars, 7 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Into The Maelstrom (Audio CD)
I was really gutted when I heard about the troubles that Bigelf were having as they had become one of my favourite bands, I saw them many years ago at the Barfly in Camden and they were absolutely awesome, worthy of a far bigger venue more befitting a band of their calibre and talent. So when I heard they were releasing a new album I was absolutely over the moon and couldn't wait to hear it.

I don't agree with the previous reviewer regarding Cheat The Gallows, I thought it was an amazing album and don't really understand what he is referring to in terms of the production on that album as I thought it was fine. Personally Hex is my favourite album, very closely followed by Cheat The Gallows, this album, Closer to Doom and Money Machine (in that order).

The reason I didn't enjoy this quite as much as Hex and Cheat The Gallows for me is down to the lack of a proper guitarist. Guitar parts on this album are undertaken by Damon Fox himself with occasional input from additional guitarist Luis Maldonado and whilst both are competent, neither of them are Ace Mark. His guitar playing on the previous albums are what gave many of the tracks on both Hex and Cheat The Gallows that extra bit of genius, I really loved his playing style, a kind of mix of Tony Iommi, David Gilmour and Brian May and I think his presence is missed on this album; I find it gets to the bit of the song where you would normally have a really cool, measured solo that perfectly fits the song, such as the solo on "The Evils of Rock & Roll" off the Cheat The Gallows album and it isn't quite there which I find a bit frustrating as I just think to myself "damn that would have been such an awesome song if it had an Ace Mark guitar solo on it!".

That being said there are some really cool songs on here and I really like this album (took me a few spins but now can't get Incredible Time Machine, Control Freak, Hypersleep [damn evil sounding riff - like Black Sabbath does Hawkwind], Mr Harry McQuhae and Alien Frequency out of my head), but for me it's just slightly behind Hex and Cheat The Gallows because of the above gripe. I hope Damon Fox gets a full time guitar player on board for the next album as he clearly still has the magic that made Hex and Cheat The Gallows so great.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2014 10:38 PM BST

It's Come To This
It's Come To This

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Band!, 23 Feb. 2013
This review is from: It's Come To This (MP3 Download)
I saw this band at Camden Electric Ballroom supporting The Union and The Answer (I went with the intention of seeing these bands and had never heard of Skam) and left feeling that Skam was the most impressive band (shame about the name of the band though!) on the night! Went straight home and bought their album. Will be interesting to hear their follow up album.

Wake Wood [DVD]
Wake Wood [DVD]
Dvd ~ Timothy Spall
Offered by MusicnMedia

1.0 out of 5 stars Horror Classic?!? Really?!?, 19 May 2011
This review is from: Wake Wood [DVD] (DVD)
This quite simply has to be the worst film I have ever seen. I honestly thought about turning it off 20 minutes as it was so bad, but prevailed and watched it to the end simply as I had spent money on it. The only person this film has made happy is my dog as he now has a new frisbee.

Is This It?
Is This It?
Offered by DVDBayFBA

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete Rubbish, 26 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Is This It? (Audio CD)
This to me typifies everything that is currently wrong with rock music; drony, samey Indie music that doesn't take you anywhere, this album is completely devoid of any energy whatsoever. Every single track sounds the same, guitar solo's are non existent and the guitar work in general amounts to strumming chords. Julian Casablancas attempts to rip off the singing style of Lou Reed and fails miserably and the general sound of the record is just so utterly minimalist and poor. How anyone can give this record 2 stars let alone 5 is beyond me, clearly there are a lot of people with absolutely no taste in music whatsoever out there.

If you like retro rock, but are interested in listening to new bands who play in this vein, stick with talented bands who are actually able to play the instruments properly, bands like The White Stripes who, even though only have 2 members, still manage to deliver a richer more complex and talented sound that this bunch. Bigelf are also worth checking out, stay well clear of this, avoid like the plague.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2011 10:21 PM GMT