Profile for Mark > Reviews

Mark

We Are the Others [Special Edition]
We Are the Others [Special Edition]

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably my favourite Delain album, 19 Jun. 2016
I was all out to set April Rain as my favourite Delain album, since it was wonderfully paced and well done. But then We Are The Others came along and blew April Rain out out of the water (no pun intended).

We Are The Others is an amazing, technical, and gripping album. This album probably has one of Delain's strongest openings with Mother Machine, a great song with brilliant riffs and a slowed down chorus which really makes it. the title track is Delain's most poppy tune to date. I know that the song has a great message of acceptance, being the outcasts, and being proud of who you are. It is just that the song can affect the album as a whole, since the rest of the album has a rather heavy aspect to it. Regardless, the song is good, and the message admirable.

Milk & Honey is an great tune to listen to, with Hit Me With Your Best Shot keeping up the ride with a pleasant melody. The creepy ballad I Want You, is certainly atmospheric, and it makes me glad that I haven't reached that level with any of my crushes. Where Is The Blood is a nice track but can feel out of place. Still a good listen though. Generation Me has one of my favourite lines ever in it. Great song about the modern youth.

Get The Devil Out Of Me is a tune to really bang your head, or even jump up and down to. Appropriately paced and produced, the lyrics working with the whole "Devil" thing and a great song to round up the album, with Not Enough being there as the last huzzah in this ride of an album.

Overall, the album is heavy, technical and interesting. The bonus live tracks cementing how amazing Charlotte is as a singer. Check out this album, highly recommend it!

April Rain
April Rain

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Delain's Best Albums, 19 Jun. 2016
This review is from: April Rain (Audio CD)
I have heard all of Delain's albums and I can say that April Rain is by far one of the best.

The album opens with the title track, a bit poppy but rocking nonetheless. Stay Forever follows and this song is probably one of the weaker ones. It is still a good song, just not as gripping (especially after that opener). Invidia (Latin for envious) is next and is a good track to pick up the pace, making way for Control The Storm, one of my favourites. Charlotte and Marco battle during the song, without taking away from the music in the background. One of the absolute highlights!

As the album progresses, through On The Other Side, Virtue and Vice and Go Away, I can feel myself getting enjoying the album to its fullest then Start Swimming begins. I think that not many fans would agree with me, but this song is my favourite on the whole album! Starting off slow an nice with an acoustic guitar, with Charlotte delivering her lyrics really well. My personal highlight is towards the end, where the instruments drop out and we just hear a violin playing sweet melody which reminds me of Pirates of the Caribbean for some reason. I love it when the symphonic elements of the band shine and this song does it justice. Brilliant from start to finish.

I love how Delain round up their albums. I'll Reach You is an amazing metal ballad which I just feel with all my heart, seguing into Nothing Left, another collab with Marco.

Overall, April Rain is Delain's some of best work and they have kept up the standard going into their next albums, So good!

Lucidity
Lucidity

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the album, just not their best, 12 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Lucidity (MP3 Download)
I only got into Delain recently, and by got into I mean, I bought all of their studio albums. After listening to each album a number of times, I can say that I found that Lucidity is Delain's weakest.

The album is still good, and solid with strong guitars, vocals and orchestral elements. The guest musicians work well on the album with the awesome Marco Hietala delivering his great vocals on several songs, including The Gathering, which is my favourite track on the whole record.

It's just, I never got into musical projects. Avantasia, Ayreon and others just never gripped me because I'm used to the same vocalists being on each track (with the exception guest vocalists) I'm not saying the other lead vocalists (Sharon Den Adel and Liv Kristine) are bad singers, its just the songs where they are the leads (No Compliance and A Day For Ghosts) are the weakest songs on the album, and can throw the album of the rails for me.

Don't let what I'm saying discourage you from buying, or checking this album out because it is certainly is worth a look, just be prepared for the vocalists to switch which may, or may not, affect how you see the album as a whole. Lucidity is a good album listen to, but it won't surpass it's predecessors in my books

Ultraviolence
Ultraviolence
Offered by A2Z Entertains

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant album, 23 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Ultraviolence (Audio CD)
I love Lana Del Rey to pieces after getting Born To Die and I was anticipating Ultraviolence and this album does not disappoint. I was sceptical about UV because the first single "West Coast" seemed so different from Lana's BTD formula of beautiful lyrics and vocals combined with orchestral backing and amazing crescendo chorus's (see "National Anthem" for that). The new album is much darker and less string and backing heavy as her previous record. I was worried that I wouldn't love the new Lana as much but then I listened to the album upon release and I found songs that were new but also captivating such as "Brooklyn Baby", "Ultraviolence" and "Sad Girl" as well as some songs that were, to me, pure Lana Del Rey perfection such as "Money Power Glory,"F*cked My Way To The Top" and my personal favourite "Old Money" which had soft vocals and strings that showed Lana Del Rey as the emotional ballad singer that she is and was nothing short of perfection.
However, there were some songs that didn't hook me as the others such as the second single "Shades Of Cool" as well as "Cruel World" Maybe as I listen to the album more I will come to love the songs as I have the others.
I recommend Ultraviolence to any Lana fan because she is still a beautiful artist who produces amazing and sensual songs with the desperation of loving someone you can't have or the story that she is trying to tell coming through with clarity as well as keeping to her well twisting up her formula but still belting out amazing ballads and she still has that crescendo to her songs that draw me back to her. Ultraviolence is beautiful and truly represents music and art in their clearest form.

Sheezus [Explicit]
Sheezus [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant Surprise, 5 May 2014
This review is from: Sheezus [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
I love Lily Allen but this is the first of her albums that I have bought and it did not disappoint. Lily channels new styles in "Sheezus" such as hip-hop, indie and a little bit of dub-step.

Stand-out tracks include
"L8 Cmmr"
"URL Badman"
"Life For Me"
"Silver Spoon"
and "Air Balloon"

Some tracks like "Sheezus", "As Long As I Got You" and "Close Your Eyes" took me a few listens for me to get used to but they are now songs that I enjoy. Some of these songs wil stick in your head and any fan of Lily Allen would find this to be a great addition to their album collection.

Trouble
Trouble

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill second album, 17 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Trouble (Audio CD)
This album is characteristically lighter toned that her debut "Perfectionist" however has many great points and the kills feeling is still there.

My highlights of this album have to be "Rabbit Hole", "Controversy", "Saturday Night" and the title track "Trouble"

Unique and brilliant with a beautiful back story and an interesting contrast from her debut

King Con
King Con

5.0 out of 5 stars New and Fresh Brilliant!, 30 April 2013
This review is from: King Con (MP3 Download)
I first fell in Love with Alex Winston's music due to the Google Ad but now I ador her music, Brilliant Album
Fave tracks:
Velvet Elvis
Fire Ant
Sister Wife
Guts

All other tracks are new to me but I'm glad I found them! Buy now!

Just Dance 4 (Nintendo Wii U)
Just Dance 4 (Nintendo Wii U)
Offered by games.empire

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game!, 24 Dec. 2012
It is a fantastic game with amazing graphics I love how it allows everyone to be part of the JD and party and one person isn't feeling excluded. Love the extra modes and I didn't regret buying it!