Profile for Sara Lawrence > Reviews

Content by Sara Lawrence

Sara Lawrence (London, England)

Wannabe a Writer? (Secrets to Success)
Wannabe a Writer? (Secrets to Success)
by Jane Wenham-Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars When this wonderful book..., 11 May 2007
arrived in the post, I was busy as hell finishing a piece on deadline. Within minutes of opening it up however, I became so gripped I had to take to my bed - with it and the largest packet of crisps I could find, naturally - only to emerge when I'd read it cover to cover. Having achieved almost nothing on the work front, I at least came down the stairs with a massive smile on my face.

Funny, accessible, shot through with excellent quotes and tips from myriad writers, journalists, agents and publishers, the best thing about it is Jane Wenham-Jones's friendly tone. Reading it feels like a knowledgable, fun and only slightly alcoholic mentor is gently guiding you through the various steps on the road to not only writing a manuscript, but also the best ways of getting agents and publishers to notice the damn thing.

I thought it was so perfectly thorough without being off-putting in the slightest that I immediately sent a copy to a 'wannabe writer' friend. She just phoned and thanked me for 'the best present' I've 'ever' given her. Nuff said!