Profile for Steven > Reviews

Content by Steven

Steven "None"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Trilogy (PS3)
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Trilogy (PS3)
Offered by bnhlmt

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good work, Ubisoft, 16 Dec. 2011
This is based on a playthrough of the first two titles in this compilation, and it must be said that this HD collection is, based on the oldest title, a remarkable piece of work that has NOT been a shoddy, speedily developed bit of software. Especially when comparisons are made to the Prince of Persia Trilogy (very good games, but ports were just not up there in visuals and sound), this collection can be said to be a good one that is somewhat between the Tomb Raider Trilogy (fantastic conversion process there) and The Sly Trilogy (near perfection, even with Move games which you won't play again after you get x amount of trophies. Within five minutes). All in all, a good HD trilogy collection.

Let me break this down into Visuals, Sound and Gameplay

Visuals:

Splinter Cell - As can be expected from a game that is almost ten years old, the visuals are not comparable to the almighty Uncharted. However, the visuals are crystal clear and you can tell whether you are looking at a drunk or an automated machine gun of death. Character models are good for the most part, though the lip movements are laughable by today's standards. However, as said, this is an old title, and with that in mind the visuals are quite good.

Pandora Tomorrow - A big improvement on the first game, and clearly the mo-cap is far more better implemented for this new release. Shadows, lighting and animations are all on top-form.

Audio:

Splinter Cell - Much better than POP. No overly SHOUTY guards or artificially loud sound effects. How I remember them on PS2, which can't be said for POP before you adjust the sound settings!

Pandora Tomorrow - Excellent: speech, crunching and shooting sounds are as they should be.

Gameplay:

Splinter Cell - Classic stealth action, from sneaking past heavily armed guards to knocking them out with surveillance cameras. Probably the most tension to be found in any game outside of a Metal Gear Solid title.

Pandora Tomorrow - A good evolution of what came in the first game. Little things such as being able to open a door without automatically standing up and blowing your cover is one brilliant update to the formula.

So based on the first two games, go get!

Doctor Who - Complete Series 6 [DVD]
Doctor Who - Complete Series 6 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matt Smith
Offered by MusicnMedia

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good Series, 7 Oct. 2011
I loved Series 5, but I must admit one thing: some of the episodes (Silurians...) were awful and boring, and some of the writing wasn't snappy. Series 6 sorts all of that out in a big way.

The general series plot line is probably the best yet, and one I did not see coming when I sat down to watch The Impossible Astronaut on 23/4/2011. And then on 30/4/2011? That blew my mind in a big way too. And throughout Moffat surprises with the plot revelations that it becomes ridiculous - never for one second assume you understand everything because a future episode will probably introduce another spin on the plot.

I won't outline every episode because that will involve me spoiling the stories (such good ones they are too), but I will give you my top 5 of the Series. First up are Episodes 1 and 2 for being a strong introduction to the series and one that is endlessly rewatchable. Next up - Episode 4, one that was so exciting and different, and also brought back an element of the David Tennant era (ok, writing that made me think that I should say "More than one"). Episode 7 for the sheer epicness (probably not a word) of it (just you wait...) and Episode 11 which is probably one of the best yet. The rest are brilliant, but if I had to pick five I would pick those (then again, if I went in reverse order from 13 to 1 I'd probably have a different top 5).

I'll just give you a 'top three' features of this series as a whole:

1) Series plot - very good. Perhaps not as extensive as last year's storyline, but sometimes less is better in some respects. Only a single episode for the finale as opposed to a two-part story, and in a way I hope Series 7 has that two part ending restored.

2) Episodes - all but two of the episodes are excellent. But the writing (even in the 'duffer' episodes) is a highlight - your attention is caught throughout.

3) Core episodes (1,2,7,8,13) are all excellent and guaranteed to get viewed three times in repetition.

Monkey Island: Special Edition - Collection (PS3)
Monkey Island: Special Edition - Collection (PS3)
Offered by gamesexchange-ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent games but bad product, 11 Sept. 2011
Let me explain:

I bought this game on Friday and had two distinct problems from my experience: 1) Mandatory install which randomly kicked in every so often upon the game being booted up and lasted a good twenty minutes. Trying to locate the install data was an impossibility because of the simple fact that it could not be located in GAME DATA - whereas other similar collections that require an install (such as Tomb Raider) can have their data located there. 2) Freezing - I approached the end of chapter 1 of the first game and it froze. Three times. All at the same point. I put this down to the install issue again - the game is probably seeking this extra data from the HDD only... it isn't there.

My advice? If you want these games you can buy a Digital download bundle off the Playstation Network which includes both of these games for £11.99. Sure you might not have a disc or the extras (not a lot, admittedly), but at least you are guaranteed to have a game that works.

I'd wager Lucasarts/Activision will release a patch eventually to fix the install issue in particular, but why wait on an event that might not happen?
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2012 3:36 PM GMT

Bulletstorm (PS3)
Bulletstorm (PS3)
Offered by My Bay Hospice

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, Fun, Fun! And a great game too., 10 July 2011
This review is from: Bulletstorm (PS3) (Video Game)
One thing you should note about this game is that it has no DNA, but that is replaced by F-U-N. Every single moment of this game (bar a few points towards the end, and you will know what I talk of when you get there)is joyous in terms of the combat mechanics, which are genuinely excellently implemtented and designed.

Let me give you an example:

You approach a slope leading down towards a house. You can double tap the cross button to slide down this, press R1 to fire at enemies as you are sliding. Standing up you can hold down L2 to use the thumper (which sends every enemy in the nearby area into the air), and then use your revolver's alternate fire to send these enemies flying yet still further in a fiery wave of explosive death!

The game makes killing fun. You should be concerned by that, but remember that this is a game. A very fun game.

Let me give you three pro's and con's.

Pro's:
1) Combat - genuinely brilliant in terms of the feel of the combat, it feels both fast and heavy at the same time.
2) Skillshots - adds something very good to the game, and leads you to experiment with the way you kill people in order to get more points.
3) Game - graphics, sound and voice acting are very, very well done. Not done overly serious (Call of Duty...) but done with the aim of FUN in mind.

Con's:
1) Length - if you had as much fun as I did you could clear this relatively quickly, even on the second-hardest difficulty setting. That isn't a bad thing as such in terms of length, because if you are having so much fun that you race through the game, then that is a good, good thing.
2) Bugs - I did encounter one bug towards the end of Act 3 Chapter 2 which prevented me from proceeding to the rest of the game. A little restart later and it was all fine.
3) Coop - developers could do with putting in a coop campaign in the sequel. Keep the solo campaign for that explosive fun should be left to one player.

Basically, I would recommend this game very, very highly. As highly even compared to Killzone 3 and Uncharted 2. It is that good. It is a fun game, and that is all that matters in the end. Best £10 ever spent, thanks to a high street retailer who seemed desperate to shift both this and Mass Effect 2...

Psychoville - Series 2 [DVD]
Psychoville - Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steve Pemberton

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, sad and, most importantly, brilliant, 24 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Psychoville - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I am a newcomer to Psychoville, and I fell in love with the first series at the time this new series was just about to come on the air. I am glad I started when I did because I was able to really appreciate this series.

I won't go into detail about this series because it will probably spoil the thing, but I just wish to say that the story is NOT complacent whatsoever. It does not fall or depend upon certain characters or plot devices, as becomes very, very clear even after episode 1 all the way through to the finale.

This series reminded me of Doctor Who in a sense in that it is able to regenerate by means of changing who are the main characters, indeed several of the new characters are absolutely fantastic. As twisted as the last series additions, one in particular is terrifying because of a mental condition that I dare not spoil.

But my favourite? The woman you know next to nothing about untill the final episode - funny as hell, she really lightened up the series.

All I will say about the plot is that it continues on shortly after the end of the first series and continues on a plot line that lasts the full of series two.

You will be glad to know that this series is even better at getting you to return for the next episode for the cliffhangers are very, very effective. Episode 5 (penultimate episode of series 2) ends on a cliffhanger that orders you to watch episode 6 to find out what happens next. Most importantly, however, is that fact that each episode is a delight to watch. The stories are engaging and thirty minutes feels more like ten.

Recommended - but be sure to have watched series 1 first so that you have a clue about who the characters are and what the main aspect of the storyline is.

Hopeful for a series 3 - which will no doubt be transformed like this one was compared to the first series.

Dead Space 2 - Limited Edition (PS3)
Dead Space 2 - Limited Edition (PS3)
Offered by trguk

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent, refined and plain scary horror game, 17 Jun. 2011
To keep this brief,

I expected this to be Dead Space 1 with new locations, I was quite wrong. They have basically expanded the gameplay mechanics to improve the game as a whole.

One example is the Zero-G sections which now allow you to move in 360 degrees of space, so none of the restrictive space jumping that was seen in the first game.

Let me list three strengths and weaknesses, it seems to help.

Strengths:

1) Shooting - snappy, brutal and fun. Dismemberment will never get old.
2) Campaign - at the precisely correct length in that it is not too short or too long but gets the balance right.
3) Horror - I finished Resident Evil 5 before this, and this is true horror, not a rambo-esque shooter. In space. This is horror. In space. Visual frights are not the limit of this brand of horror, but are extended to audio (such as whisperings, and abrupt sounds).

Weaknesses:

1) Campaign - it ends. The campaign is so good you want it to keep going on and on and on.
2) On more difficult settings it can be a case of trial and error as you aim to defeat x amount of enemies and get to a checkpoint, particularly towards the end when I took an incredible twenty attempts to get to the next section.
3) Enemies - some are too fast and as a result can become overpowering. Not really a criticism, but they can frustrate.

Overall a highly polished SURVIVAL HORROR game that comes very, very recommended. You won't regret buying it.

Also, PS3 owners get Extraction for free on the disc. I have yet to play it or the online modes, but the core package (the single player) is very good.

I can say with confidence that I look forward to Dead Space 3, whenever that comes. I am also thinking about buying the 'Severed' DLC which is at an affordable price of just over £5.

Doctor Who  Series 6 - Part 1 [DVD]
Doctor Who Series 6 - Part 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matt Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - Doctor Who on top form, 9 Jun. 2011
Series 5 was fantastic - but some storylines (*cough* Silurians) were poor and dull. This series, by contrast, is very well-written and enjoyable from episode to episode. Of course some episodes are better than others - Episodes 3 and 5 are probably the weakest, but 1505435% better than the Silurian stories!

This part's story arc is far more complex than Series 5, and is also a very, very enjoyable story to experience. Of course this is one part so don't expect everything to be tied up... that would be nonsense!

I don't want to write a narrative and spoil things so instead I will be broad and unspoilerific as possible:

Strengths

1) Episodes 1 and 2 - probably the best series opener ever.
2) Story Arc across the half of the series - incredibly good and complicated.
3) The Doctor - he (and his bowtie) is cool!
4) Writing - very snappy and on top form.
5) Imaginative - isn't sloppy like the RTD series in which he would bring back an old monster/villain. Moffat does something far different, and Doctor Who is all the better for it.
6) End of Episode 7 - very well-written and an excellent conclusion to this half of the series. I don't know how the second half can top it, but it will. Somehow!

Weaknesses

1) Only one half! Obviously if you buy this you won't get the full story...but that is why it is called part one...
2) Episode 3 - an irrelevance if I am being honest. Only one second or so ties into the series as a whole, but nothing else besides that.
3) Episode 7 could have done with an extra ten minutes! Would have loved an hour-long episode rather than the fifty minutes.

As you can see I fumble around for weaknesses and that is sort of suggestive of how I feel about this series as a whole - it is fantastic, it's faults are not very clear to say the least.

Some may say it doesn't answer all the questions it puts down - but this is part one of series 6. Part 2 will answer the (very) probing questions you want resolved.

I would recommend this series highly, but I am going to hold off for the complete item which will hopefully include A Christmas Carol (a fantastic episode in its own right).

Scrubs - Season 9 [DVD]
Scrubs - Season 9 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Zach Braff

5.0 out of 5 stars Refined and excellent, 13 April 2011
This review is from: Scrubs - Season 9 [DVD] (DVD)
I am bemused at the comments I have seen for this, so I just had to restore some balance.

This series of Scrubs got it completely right. It felt new and fresh, and a very good reboot.

The jokes were far funnier than usual (especially with Dr Cox...), and the fantasy sequences are even better than the older series.

So why the feedback? Is it because it doesn't include every single old character on a recurring basis?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2011 11:19 PM BST

Castlevania - Lords of Shadow (PS3)
Castlevania - Lords of Shadow (PS3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, big and well done!, 10 Jan. 2011
Just to keep this brief.

Quite a good game, although it doesn't really get started untill you finish Chapter 2 - I was convinced that this would be a trade in. Now that I have finished it, I won't dare do so. You won't really understand untill you finish the game, for it really does become a part of you.

It is a large game, taking at least 20 hours to complete. I completed this on the second highest difficulty, so it may have taken over 25 hours to complete.

It may not be a game that is unique, but what it 'borrows' from other games is very well done.

Give it a shot, you will love it!

Shadow Hearts (PS2)
Shadow Hearts (PS2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - but a little aged!, 29 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Shadow Hearts (PS2) (Video Game)
I wish to give you a brief background first on my experience with this game. It was my first ever RPG, and I got it in 2002. It did directly spawn my love of Final Fantasy (a game series that would later get me in a misunderstanding...but that is a different story altogether), as well as getting both of the other Shadow Hearts titles. I recently replayed it, and I will base my review on that experience.

Let me just say that it has aged quite considerably - the gameplay is awkward and slow-paced (you can spend 15-30 seconds waiting on an attack to be carried out in some cases). However, once you adjust to the pace you can really enjoy it. Strategies are encouraged here (for example, having an attacker (often Yuri), healer (often Alice for that useful Ark ability) and item user/secondary attacker and magic-user (Margarete/Halley/Keith/Zhuzhen) - whereas in other games (FF for example) all characters take on these elements. It is quite refreshing, therefore, to have this clear division in roles for the party members, especially as the game develops.

Story too is quite good, especially on the first time around. The next time around it might not surprise as much as the first time - obviously.

Voice acting is appalling. Let me get that out of the way. At one point a character is lamenting over an event in his life and it sounds as though he is casually talking to kids on the street - there is no remorse or anything. You shall be glad to know that the sequel is far better in this element - as well as every single other!

Can't really describe the game without spoiling it, and I don't want to do that.

Basically, if you love Final Fantasy games (with the exception of XIII) you shall love this. It is basically identical to them, apart from the unique Judgement Ring battle system (which is excellent). So if you love Final Fantasy, you will love this too. Just be prepared for certain elements to not be up to scratch like they used to. IF you can do that, you will have a good time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3