Profile for Mike Calder > Reviews

The Apocalypse Codex: Book 4 in The Laundry Files
The Apocalypse Codex: Book 4 in The Laundry Files
by Charles Stross

4.0 out of 5 stars Do better, charlie!, 14 July 2012
I'm giving this a 4 because Charlie Stross is a great writer and I love the Laundry novels.

But this is almost a potboiler. One of Charlie's early reviews called him "an explosion in an ideas factory" - that's why I buy all his stuff. This book is like everything else he writes, well worth the money.

It was only when I put it down having finished it that I realised that the the plot wasn't that different, the characters weren't that different, and I couldn't put my finger on any really new ideas - but I'd still had a damn good read. That's the mark of a good wordsmith.

Come on Charlie; I'm sure you can give us some more Laundry stuff with some new ideas - it's a rich world that has possibilities beyond the trivial imagination. Go for it, boy.

If you've never read any Charlie Stross before, this is worth buying, though I'd suggest you start with some of his earlier stuff. If you know him and have read him before, you won't be too much disappointed.

Reading this review, it sounds like faint praise; it isn't. I know I couldn't write stuff anywhere near as good. Trouble is, good as it is, I know he can do better. I suspect he does, too.

Mike Calder. michaelcalder@btconnect.com