Profile for C. Hawkes > Reviews

Content by C. Hawkes
Top Reviewer Ranking: 555

C. Hawkes "Livefats" (Lancashire)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
BAMBOO WINDCHIME/wind chime - Handmade in Bali - 35cm long approx.- ethically sourced!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful for blind dogs, and an extra dimension to the garden., 22 Jun. 2015
Very happy with this wind-chime: in a light breeze the sound is subtle and charming, and even in a heavy breeze it is never too loud. We have this over our back door as a guide for our blind dog, but it is also an aural asset to our garden.

Aukey Bluetooth 4.1 Wireless Stereo Portable Mini Lightweight In-Ear Headphones for Jogging, Running, Sports, Gym with AptX, Hands-free MIC for iPhone and Android Smartphones (EP-B4)
Offered by AukeyDirect

4.0 out of 5 stars Bluetooth equals wireless freedom - but watch the cable noise, 7 Jun. 2015
First off, I received these as a free item for review - but, as ever, this is a fair and unbiased view after several weeks using these earphones.

So: my first pair of bluetooth earphones. I have some high-quality wired earphones - and headphones - that cost about ten times the cost of these, so my sound expectations are quite high. I generally listen to classical - sound quality being critical - except when exercising, when it's base all the way.

And - great to get rid of the wire! Quite liberating. Setup was really easy - the phones paired with my iPad and iPhone quickly and easily. I hardly needed the (brief) instructions.

The phones come with three different sized ear inserts to cope with different sized ear canals - the standard one was fine for me. There are also "ear spacers" that apparently help secure the phones to the ear - I couldn't work out how to use them, but don't need them anyway. It's a good fit for me.

The supplied charger cable is neat and compact - just slots into a USB socket. The battery lasts about six hours, and recharges in an hour.

So far, so froody. Sound quality? Well, I was surprised. It's good. Not as good as my higher spec phones, but better than the standard phones that came with my iPhone 4, for example. A real plus.

Downside? - the (neon green - I like neon green) cable that links the two is flat, a good idea to reduce twisting. However, the cable is noisy when touched - people (mistakenly, I think, as it's not an electrical but a mechanical problem) call this microphonics. It's a common problem with this type of earphone, but at times this was LOUD. I used the supplied cable tightener to eliminate loose cable, but on the move it is important to ensure that clothing etc does not rub against the cable - or the listening experience really suffers.

So - four stars. The only letdown is the cable noise, and that can be reduced if not eliminated with care.

Logitech USB Marble Mouse
Logitech USB Marble Mouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, precise, and for this carpal tunnel sufferer, pain-free., 5 Jun. 2015
I have been a carpal tunnel sufferer for many years, and although I have had surgery on both hands, I am conscious that my mouse-use can cause issues. I have used several different mice, but have never found one that allows completely pain-free manipulation. (My current mouse is the Logitech MX, which is bearable. Others - some very expensive - have been binned almost immediately.

So, I thought I'd try a trackball device - and this Logitech Mable Mouse looked a contender.

First, as a non-trackball user, I needed to forget using a mouse and take on the new regime - don't move it like a mouse! After a short while, however, the keeping the hand in the same place and moving the ball with the finger tips became more natural. Some people have said that they found the left and right buttons in an odd place - for me this wasn't an issue.

The trackball keeps the wrists still and the hand in a naturally open position - no clasping a moving mouse. This meant no wrist pain or pins-and-needles. Brilliant.

I use the Marble Mouse for everything now - work programmes, browsing and gaming. Never going back!

Oh, and setup was a breeze. Just plug into a USB socket and it's ready. Buttons can be configured using the Logitech program, but that's not needed to get the trackball up and running.

BETA Adult  Shepherds & Setters with Lamb Dry Dog Food, 12 kg
BETA Adult Shepherds & Setters with Lamb Dry Dog Food, 12 kg

5.0 out of 5 stars Tiff recommends this - and so do his family!, 5 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First things first - I've used this with Tiffs, our German Pointer, because he has a sensitive digestive system that has caused problems in the past. He also spent a long time gorging on grass, which suggested to me a problem with the food he was previously on (a brand we have used with success for all our other dogs over the last 25 years.)

I was a little concerned that the product description contained the dreaded word "derivatives" - for both vegetable and protein. However, I took the plunge, and was pleased I had.

First, Tiffs loves it. No great surprise there, as he also loves almost anything that lands in his bowl! But after several weeks his coat looks glossy. as do his eyes. He has also shown less inclination to eat grass - and his digestive eruptions are less smelly, whilst his stools are firmer and easier to scoop and dump. I'm not sure if this is the effect of the "probiotics" in the mix - but I am very happy with the result.

So - if your dog is having digestive issues, this is a reasonably-priced possible solution. It worked for Tiffs!

BecoThings Eco-Friendly Poo Bag Refills
BecoThings Eco-Friendly Poo Bag Refills

5.0 out of 5 stars Responsible dog owners can now be environmentally friendly too!, 23 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As responsible dog owners, we of course always clear up after our dog. However, the impact of plastic bags is a concern. These biodegradable bags are the answer. They are huge: bigger than the usual roll bags we have used. They feel tougher too: thinner bags have occasionally split in Use, which is unpleasant; I have no such fears with these bags. The roll also fits inside our bone-shaped bag dispenser (although the company do produce their own recyclable bamboo dispenser.)

There are 15 big bags to a roll. So yes, more expensive than the bags we have used in the past: but what price the environment?

Superior Wild Bird Food 20kg
Superior Wild Bird Food 20kg
Offered by Equestrian Performance

5.0 out of 5 stars My garden birds love it!, 6 May 2015
This is my third sack of Johnston and Jeff's bird food. Yes, it's more expensive than some - but the mix is very low in wheat, and the variety of seeds, grains and fruit make it very attractive to a wide variety of garden birds: and less appealing to pigeons!

It is quite low residue too - which makes it good value in real terms, as well as causing less mess!

So, 5 stars, and I'll be buying again!

Bakers Dentacrunch Beef and Country Vegetables Dry Dog Food 1 kg (Pack of 4)
Bakers Dentacrunch Beef and Country Vegetables Dry Dog Food 1 kg (Pack of 4)

3.0 out of 5 stars Dogs say yes: bottoms say no!, 22 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although we have been very happy with our standard dried dogfood - and so have the dogs - we have noticed that both have a build up of tarter on their teeth - so we gave this a try.

The dogs are unfussy eaters, and so it was no surprise that they just yummed it up. However, their stools stopped being firm and formed, and became rather loose and smelly. We persevered for a week, but as there was no improvement we returned to the old faithful.

I think the dental cleaning might work, but we've moved on to doggy toothbrushing and checking they have enough chew treats, bones and toys.

We were not too happy with the ingredients either - comparatively low in meat and high in derivatives.

Go-Cat Crunchy and Tender Kitten Dry Cat Food 800 g (Pack of 4)
Go-Cat Crunchy and Tender Kitten Dry Cat Food 800 g (Pack of 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Paws up for taste!, 22 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Whilst we do not have kittens, our friend does, and we have tried out this feed on her two cutesters. If enthusiasm is a guide, the food is fab - the kittens love it, and are reluctant to leave their bowls until the meal is finished. This is in contrast with their behaviour with another popular brand, where they almost seemed uninterested.

So - a hit! My friend is now buying this in bulk - well, as much bulk as you need for a pair of kittens anyway!

Philips GC3811/80 Azur Performer Steam Iron with 160 g Steam Boost and Steam Glide Plus Soleplate, 2400 Watt, Multi-Colour
Offered by Tribal UK

5.0 out of 5 stars "Performer" by name, performer by nature..., 13 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First - yes, I do all the ironing in my household. I am, however, selective about what I iron - life's too short to iron underwear or sheets - but over a week will end up with ten or so shirts and blouses that need careful attention to keep creases in - or take them out!

So I was very happy to take the opportunity to review this Philips iron. I am very careful about my choice of ironing products - ask me about the Leifheit AirBoard! - as. although I quite enjoy ironing, I also want a fast and effective job. And this iron fits the bill perfectly.

This is no lightweight - it feels solid in the hand, which assists in the ironing action. The steam feature is very effective in removing creases (or in adding crisp creases to trousers) - it seems more effective than other steam irons I have used. The sole plate feels almost frictionless, again making the chore of ironing easier. It's quite wide too - another feature I like, as it speeds up the process.

Some have been disappointed by the volume of the water container - I haven't had a problem with this: it lasts as long as my other irons have - and as it helps make the process quicker I get through more ironing per fill.

Well made, reassuringly solid, very effective - what's not to like? 5 stars.

Deshedding Tool & Pet Grooming Brush- No.1 BEST SELLER On Amazon.com; For Small, Medium & Large Dogs, Cats & Horses, With Short to Long Hair. Dramatically Reduces Shedding In Under 15 Minutes Guaranteed
Offered by DAK Corporation

5.0 out of 5 stars THE best pet grooming tool - bar none., 1 Mar. 2015
Quite simply, this is the best grooming tool I've ever used.Having struggled with a conventional brush to make real headway into tidying up the coat of my Giant Schnauzer and German Wirehair, this came as a revelation. The amount of dead underhair this removed was simply staggering - as was the difference it made to the gloss of my dogs' coats. I also used it on my sister's Cavalier King Charles whose hair had become dull and lifeless despite regular brushing, and the pile of hair it removed was larger than the dog's head!

All the dogs enjoyed the grooming - despite the narrow gap between the teeth of the comb. I suspect too vigorous use might be less pleasant for the dog, but grooming is a social activity that helps to cement the bond between animal and human - done with love, is is a positive experience, and this deshedding tool is also a great way of improving your pet's fur health.

And the tool is much cheaper than the competition - but in use I can see no difference (I've used the Furminator, which this brush resembles closely!)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20