Profile for C. Hawkes > Reviews

Content by C. Hawkes
Top Reviewer Ranking: 541

C. Hawkes "Livefats" (Lancashire)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
BecoThings Eco-Friendly Poo Bag Refills
BecoThings Eco-Friendly Poo Bag Refills

5.0 out of 5 stars Responsible dog owners can now be environmentally friendly too!, 23 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As responsible dog owners, we of course always clear up after our dog. However, the impact of plastic bags is a concern. These biodegradable bags are the answer. They are huge: bigger than the usual roll bags we have used. They feel tougher too: thinner bags have occasionally split in Use, which is unpleasant; I have no such fears with these bags. The roll also fits inside our bone-shaped bag dispenser (although the company do produce their own recyclable bamboo dispenser.)

There are 15 big bags to a roll. So yes, more expensive than the bags we have used in the past: but what price the environment?

Superior Wild Bird Food 20kg
Superior Wild Bird Food 20kg
Offered by Equestrian Performance

5.0 out of 5 stars My garden birds love it!, 6 May 2015
This is my third sack of Johnston and Jeff's bird food. Yes, it's more expensive than some - but the mix is very low in wheat, and the variety of seeds, grains and fruit make it very attractive to a wide variety of garden birds: and less appealing to pigeons!

It is quite low residue too - which makes it good value in real terms, as well as causing less mess!

So, 5 stars, and I'll be buying again!

Bakers Dentacrunch Beef and Country Vegetables Dry Dog Food 1 kg (Pack of 4)
Bakers Dentacrunch Beef and Country Vegetables Dry Dog Food 1 kg (Pack of 4)

3.0 out of 5 stars Dogs say yes: bottoms say no!, 22 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although we have been very happy with our standard dried dogfood - and so have the dogs - we have noticed that both have a build up of tarter on their teeth - so we gave this a try.

The dogs are unfussy eaters, and so it was no surprise that they just yummed it up. However, their stools stopped being firm and formed, and became rather loose and smelly. We persevered for a week, but as there was no improvement we returned to the old faithful.

I think the dental cleaning might work, but we've moved on to doggy toothbrushing and checking they have enough chew treats, bones and toys.

We were not too happy with the ingredients either - comparatively low in meat and high in derivatives.

Go-Cat Crunchy and Tender Kitten Dry Cat Food 800 g (Pack of 4)
Go-Cat Crunchy and Tender Kitten Dry Cat Food 800 g (Pack of 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Paws up for taste!, 22 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Whilst we do not have kittens, our friend does, and we have tried out this feed on her two cutesters. If enthusiasm is a guide, the food is fab - the kittens love it, and are reluctant to leave their bowls until the meal is finished. This is in contrast with their behaviour with another popular brand, where they almost seemed uninterested.

So - a hit! My friend is now buying this in bulk - well, as much bulk as you need for a pair of kittens anyway!

Philips GC3811/80 Azur Performer Steam Iron with 160 g Steam Boost and Steam Glide Plus Soleplate, 2400 Watt, Multi-Colour

5.0 out of 5 stars "Performer" by name, performer by nature..., 13 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First - yes, I do all the ironing in my household. I am, however, selective about what I iron - life's too short to iron underwear or sheets - but over a week will end up with ten or so shirts and blouses that need careful attention to keep creases in - or take them out!

So I was very happy to take the opportunity to review this Philips iron. I am very careful about my choice of ironing products - ask me about the Leifheit AirBoard! - as. although I quite enjoy ironing, I also want a fast and effective job. And this iron fits the bill perfectly.

This is no lightweight - it feels solid in the hand, which assists in the ironing action. The steam feature is very effective in removing creases (or in adding crisp creases to trousers) - it seems more effective than other steam irons I have used. The sole plate feels almost frictionless, again making the chore of ironing easier. It's quite wide too - another feature I like, as it speeds up the process.

Some have been disappointed by the volume of the water container - I haven't had a problem with this: it lasts as long as my other irons have - and as it helps make the process quicker I get through more ironing per fill.

Well made, reassuringly solid, very effective - what's not to like? 5 stars.

Deshedding Tool & Pet Grooming Brush- No.1 BEST SELLER On Amazon.com; For Small, Medium & Large Dogs, Cats & Horses, With Short to Long Hair. Dramatically Reduces Shedding In Under 15 Minutes Guaranteed
Offered by DAK Corporation

5.0 out of 5 stars THE best pet grooming tool - bar none., 1 Mar. 2015
Quite simply, this is the best grooming tool I've ever used.Having struggled with a conventional brush to make real headway into tidying up the coat of my Giant Schnauzer and German Wirehair, this came as a revelation. The amount of dead underhair this removed was simply staggering - as was the difference it made to the gloss of my dogs' coats. I also used it on my sister's Cavalier King Charles whose hair had become dull and lifeless despite regular brushing, and the pile of hair it removed was larger than the dog's head!

All the dogs enjoyed the grooming - despite the narrow gap between the teeth of the comb. I suspect too vigorous use might be less pleasant for the dog, but grooming is a social activity that helps to cement the bond between animal and human - done with love, is is a positive experience, and this deshedding tool is also a great way of improving your pet's fur health.

And the tool is much cheaper than the competition - but in use I can see no difference (I've used the Furminator, which this brush resembles closely!)

Rosetta Stone German Complete Course Bundle (PC)
Rosetta Stone German Complete Course Bundle (PC)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction - but pricey (and beware the headphones!), 23 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used a couple of other language courses - including the Michel Thomas Spanish course - so when planning for a holiday in Germany, I was pleased to give the Rosetta Stone course a go.

First off - the box has the DVDs and a headset (about which more later...) - installation was easy, and you're set to go within minutes.

The course works rather like Michel Thomas's by repetition, which is a very effective way to gain vocabulary. The learning curve is not steep - but you need to guard against the temptation to skip the easier sections, as the course is progressive.

Perhaps the key feature that made this different to other courses for me was the speech recognition. However, the headset is an issue here - it's not of sufficient quality to ensure good results. I do have a better quality headset, and using this the recognition improved dramatically.

So, do I feel that I am fluent enough to live in the country? No. My holiday experience was very positive, in that I could order meals and accommodation confidently, and also engage in low-level chat before my vocabulary gave out. Grammar, however, was the key problem - the course teaches "by immersion" on the basis that children don't learn grammar per se by rote, but pick it up instinctively. but I'm not a child, and my "grammar cortex" does not operate n the same way.

So, bottom line - I am very pleased with the course in that it did what I wanted, prepared me for a couple of weeks abroad. However, this is a Vine review - I did not have to pay for the course, and do not think I would have shelled out £160 for what is effectively a low level introduction to the language. I'd like to give 3 1/2 stars therefore - the low quality headphones suggest 3 stars for me.

Muc-Off Bike Cleaner Concentrate  500ml
Muc-Off Bike Cleaner Concentrate 500ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Treat your ride! Ideal for sparkling clean motorbikes!, 23 Feb. 2015
I've been using Muc-Off for ten years now to clean my two bikes. The formula makes cleaning simple, even after a muddy ride - spray on, have a beer, hose off. So simple that I tend to clean after every ride, so my bikes are still in great condition. No problems with the chorome on my Harley, either.

This concentrated solution makes double the amount, and is easy to decant into an old spray applicator. It's cheaper too - what's not to like?

Revoni 1.50ct.T.W. Genuine Oval Shape Peridot in Pure Sterling Silver Earrings of Length 1.27cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish silver and peridot, 23 Feb. 2015
Lovely. The earrings are stylish and delicate: the setting complements the peridots perfectly, and the stones are well cut, reflecting the light in a very attractive way.

Vanish Gold for Whites Oxi Action Stain Remover Powder 1.41 kg
Vanish Gold for Whites Oxi Action Stain Remover Powder 1.41 kg

5.0 out of 5 stars So white it's scary...!, 23 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We have been using the ordinary Vanish stain remover for many years and found it very effective for all but very stubborn or old stains. Vanish Gold for Whites does exactly what it says on the pack "Our best for your whites, this new formula makes your white garments three shades whiter ". The power of the stain remover doesn't seem any greater than the original Vanish so I would only recommend it if you have a large number of whites to treat - but remember - it makes white items an almost scary white!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20