Profile for C. Hawkes > Reviews

Content by C. Hawkes
Top Reviewer Ranking: 557

C. Hawkes "Livefats" (Lancashire)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Philips GC3811/80 Azur Performer Steam Iron with 160 g Steam Boost and Steam Glide Plus Soleplate, 2400 Watt, Multi-Colour

5.0 out of 5 stars "Performer" by name, performer by nature..., 13 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First - yes, I do all the ironing in my household. I am, however, selective about what I iron - life's too short to iron underwear or sheets - but over a week will end up with ten or so shirts and blouses that need careful attention to keep creases in - or take them out!

So I was very happy to take the opportunity to review this Philips iron. I am very careful about my choice of ironing products - ask me about the Leifheit AirBoard! - as. although I quite enjoy ironing, I also want a fast and effective job. And this iron fits the bill perfectly.

This is no lightweight - it feels solid in the hand, which assists in the ironing action. The steam feature is very effective in removing creases (or in adding crisp creases to trousers) - it seems more effective than other steam irons I have used. The sole plate feels almost frictionless, again making the chore of ironing easier. It's quite wide too - another feature I like, as it speeds up the process.

Some have been disappointed by the volume of the water container - I haven't had a problem with this: it lasts as long as my other irons have - and as it helps make the process quicker I get through more ironing per fill.

Well made, reassuringly solid, very effective - what's not to like? 5 stars.

Deshedding Tool & Pet Grooming Brush- No.1 BEST SELLER On Amazon.com; For Small, Medium & Large Dogs, Cats & Horses, With Short to Long Hair. Dramatically Reduces Shedding In Under 15 Minutes Guaranteed
Offered by DAK Corporation

5.0 out of 5 stars THE best pet grooming tool - bar none., 1 Mar. 2015
Quite simply, this is the best grooming tool I've ever used.Having struggled with a conventional brush to make real headway into tidying up the coat of my Giant Schnauzer and German Wirehair, this came as a revelation. The amount of dead underhair this removed was simply staggering - as was the difference it made to the gloss of my dogs' coats. I also used it on my sister's Cavalier King Charles whose hair had become dull and lifeless despite regular brushing, and the pile of hair it removed was larger than the dog's head!

All the dogs enjoyed the grooming - despite the narrow gap between the teeth of the comb. I suspect too vigorous use might be less pleasant for the dog, but grooming is a social activity that helps to cement the bond between animal and human - done with love, is is a positive experience, and this deshedding tool is also a great way of improving your pet's fur health.

And the tool is much cheaper than the competition - but in use I can see no difference (I've used the Furminator, which this brush resembles closely!)

Rosetta Stone German Complete Course Bundle (PC)
Rosetta Stone German Complete Course Bundle (PC)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction - but pricey (and beware the headphones!), 23 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used a couple of other language courses - including the Michel Thomas Spanish course - so when planning for a holiday in Germany, I was pleased to give the Rosetta Stone course a go.

First off - the box has the DVDs and a headset (about which more later...) - installation was easy, and you're set to go within minutes.

The course works rather like Michel Thomas's by repetition, which is a very effective way to gain vocabulary. The learning curve is not steep - but you need to guard against the temptation to skip the easier sections, as the course is progressive.

Perhaps the key feature that made this different to other courses for me was the speech recognition. However, the headset is an issue here - it's not of sufficient quality to ensure good results. I do have a better quality headset, and using this the recognition improved dramatically.

So, do I feel that I am fluent enough to live in the country? No. My holiday experience was very positive, in that I could order meals and accommodation confidently, and also engage in low-level chat before my vocabulary gave out. Grammar, however, was the key problem - the course teaches "by immersion" on the basis that children don't learn grammar per se by rote, but pick it up instinctively. but I'm not a child, and my "grammar cortex" does not operate n the same way.

So, bottom line - I am very pleased with the course in that it did what I wanted, prepared me for a couple of weeks abroad. However, this is a Vine review - I did not have to pay for the course, and do not think I would have shelled out £160 for what is effectively a low level introduction to the language. I'd like to give 3 1/2 stars therefore - the low quality headphones suggest 3 stars for me.

Muc-Off Bike Cleaner Concentrate  500ml
Muc-Off Bike Cleaner Concentrate 500ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Treat your ride! Ideal for sparkling clean motorbikes!, 23 Feb. 2015
I've been using Muc-Off for ten years now to clean my two bikes. The formula makes cleaning simple, even after a muddy ride - spray on, have a beer, hose off. So simple that I tend to clean after every ride, so my bikes are still in great condition. No problems with the chorome on my Harley, either.

This concentrated solution makes double the amount, and is easy to decant into an old spray applicator. It's cheaper too - what's not to like?

Revoni 1.50ct.T.W. Genuine Oval Shape Peridot in Pure Sterling Silver Earrings of Length 1.27cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish silver and peridot, 23 Feb. 2015
Lovely. The earrings are stylish and delicate: the setting complements the peridots perfectly, and the stones are well cut, reflecting the light in a very attractive way.

Vanish Gold for Whites Oxi Action Stain Remover Powder 1.41 kg
Vanish Gold for Whites Oxi Action Stain Remover Powder 1.41 kg
Offered by Alex Shanks Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars So white it's scary...!, 23 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We have been using the ordinary Vanish stain remover for many years and found it very effective for all but very stubborn or old stains. Vanish Gold for Whites does exactly what it says on the pack "Our best for your whites, this new formula makes your white garments three shades whiter ". The power of the stain remover doesn't seem any greater than the original Vanish so I would only recommend it if you have a large number of whites to treat - but remember - it makes white items an almost scary white!

Villeroy & Boch Soulmates 268 mm Hurricane Lamp, Clear
Villeroy & Boch Soulmates 268 mm Hurricane Lamp, Clear

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic design, wonderful light, 12 Feb. 2015
This "Hurricane Lantern (not to be confused with a hurricane lamp!) is designed to hold a large church-type candle, protecting it from wind and shedding a gentle light - jobs which this does superbly. At a foot or so high, this is a substantial piece, and being Villeroy & Boch exudes quality.

We use this on our apartment balcony frequently - it can get quite blowy (although haven't tested it in a hurricane!) and the flame has always been protected.

We have been careful to use a good quality candle that does not drip wax - and after several weeks of use it still looks good - even in the daytime as an ornament.

AmiGami Monkey Figure
AmiGami Monkey Figure

5.0 out of 5 stars Creative fun - for all ages. Go Wild!, 12 Feb. 2015
This review is from: AmiGami Monkey Figure (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Simply - fun. The package comes with the basic figure (in this case, a monkey - others are available, of which more later!) and a huge variety of customisable body parts and stickers with bright coloured patterns. The "curling tool" also works well to turn strips in to spirals.

We had a great time playing with this - three generations "helping", sometimes getting in the way, but always sharing creative ideas. As a Sunday after lunch activity, wonderful.

As mentioned above, other animals are available - and are now on order for the next family weekend. (This could become addictive!)

Revlon Lash Potion Mascara by Grow Luscious - 10 ml, Black
Revlon Lash Potion Mascara by Grow Luscious - 10 ml, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Love your lashes!, 6 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm a contact lens wearer with quite sensitive skin and I found this mascara easy to apply, giving sufficient volume to accentuate my lashes – I'm only an occasional make up wearer. It lasts all day, comes off well at night but doesn't smudge during the day. Don't apply more than one coat as this causes it to clump and flake . This came to me free but I would buy it full price.

Revlon ColorStay Eyeliner - 5 g, N1 Black
Revlon ColorStay Eyeliner - 5 g, N1 Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Stand-out stick for stand-out eyes!, 6 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I only use make up occasionally (special dos), wear contact lenses and have quite sensitive skin. I found this product one of the easiest I've used to produce (for me) a reasonable and subtle line. It's a very soft crayon so you don't need to apply much pressure and this probably isn't for you if you want a very solid line. It's also got a great little sharpener. 5 stars

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20