Profile for C. Hawkes > Reviews

Content by C. Hawkes
Top Reviewer Ranking: 567

C. Hawkes "Livefats" (Lancashire)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Golden Swan White Vinegar 5 Litre (Pack of 4)
Golden Swan White Vinegar 5 Litre (Pack of 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, effective, and great for the heads!, 22 July 2015
White vinegar has a number of applications throughout the house and garden. We use this primarily to clean and sweeten the heads (sea toilet) on our boat. Chuck in about a litre with cocks closed, pump into the holding tank, leave for five minutes, pump out. Brilliant!

And this is a very cheap deal for 4 x 5 litre containers.

Global I/O Link RF Output for Sky HD Box
Global I/O Link RF Output for Sky HD Box

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and easy fix to "no RF socket on new Sky Box" problem., 22 July 2015
With the new Sky Box, there's no RF outlet, meaning that you need one of these if you are linking to an external TV elsewhere in the house using co-ax cable.

It works! That's 5 stars for me!

ROSEWOOD 800g Premium Mealworms Tub
ROSEWOOD 800g Premium Mealworms Tub

4.0 out of 5 stars Great way of attracting birds. Shame about the pot., 22 July 2015
First - mealworms are a brilliant food for birds, full of fat and protein. Robins especially love them. (Mind you, so do jackdaws!)

This is a very economical way of buying them in bulk, much cheaper than the smaller packs. The addition of a scoop is a nice touch, and so is the mealworm tray - although this does not last long, being made of card.

Dried mealworms last a long time, and don't have the "ugh" factor of live worms.

The problem is the pot. It could be a really useful storage container, but it is almost impossible to open without breaking. I've had to decant the worms into another container. So 4, not 5 stars.

Rexel Joy A4 5 Subject Notebook - Blissful Blue
Rexel Joy A4 5 Subject Notebook - Blissful Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Great organisational features - a bit of a shame about the paper., 22 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very useful notebook, and one that I have enjoyed. It has a number of very useful features, and is smart and fairly robust.

As other reviewers have said, however, the major disappointment is the quality of the paper - too thin and absorbs ink particularly badly from fountain pens (also gel pens but OK for traditional ballpoints and pencil.)

I only knocked off one star for this because otherwise the notebook has superb organisational features - a place for a pen, 5 easily located separate sections each with a pocket to hold leaflets etc., pages with perforated corners and extra useful touch - 2 pages that have perforations so that you can tear off a small note (could be really useful should you forget/run out of business cards or to gather a colleague's details).

The thin paper represents a bit of a compromise - thicker, higher quality paper would be nice but then the pad would be heavier or have fewer sheets of paper.

Linksys WRT1200ACUK 1.3 GHz Dual Core CPU Dual-Band Smart Wi-Fi Router
Linksys WRT1200ACUK 1.3 GHz Dual Core CPU Dual-Band Smart Wi-Fi Router

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent range and speed. Remember you need a separate modem!, 22 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was very pleased to receive this product for review - we have always found problems with wi-fi range and connectivity, probably because of the distance between our workroom and the position of the telephone line. Our BT Homehub 4 had improved things somewhat over out previous router, but moving to Infinity and the Homehub 5, we were disappointed by lack of difference in range.

So, this blue crab-like box was an interesting experiment. Once connected to tmy modem - this is a router rather than a router/modem - setup was very easy - pretty much automatic. Changing the password was also a breeze, and within minutes we were connected.

There was a noticeable improvement in range immediately - so much so that we were able to pick up the wi-fi from the bottom of our garden (using 2.4 GHz). The 5 GHz seems even faster than the Homehub - and more stable - but the range is very short.

Other reviewers have mentioned issues with Open Source, OpenWrt, but this is not something I've touched, so cannot comment.

Others have mentioned the styling. Yes, it's quite a big box - but I rather like its looks. So - a good upgrade for us.

Intel 7260.HMWWBR - Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 - Network adapter - PCI Express Half Mini Card - 802.11b, 802.11a, 802.11g, 802.11n, 802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.0 LE

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy upgrade - but check you want a half-card first!, 18 July 2015
First, note that this is a half minicard: one or two reviewers mention buying without realising this. If in doubt, check your motherboard! (You can by an adapter, however...)

I've now bought two of these - one to replace the slow single band card in my laptop - Asus N550JV - and the other for a desktop Dell XPS 8300. (Most desktops have a full size card - the Dell XPS doesn't.)

On both machines and only using 2.4GHz there was a significant increase in speed, reliability and crucially for me range. The laptop now picks up the network from the bottom of our garden, and the connection speed when playing Star Wars the Old Republic is better. 5GHz is of course even faster, but the range is much shorter.

Both were comparatively easy to install. After taking the ten screws (!) out to remove the back of the Asus, the existing card was easy to remove and the replacement popped into the slot and the two existing antennae clipped on without fuss. On powering up, the laptop recognised the card and installed the drivers automatically - although I did check that the most recent drivers both for Bluetooth and for wi-fi had been installed.

The back of the Dell opens easily with one screw. The card is harder to get out, as the motherboard is quite cramped, but I managed it by using a plastic ballpoint pen to open one clip and my finger for the other. The Dell did not automatically install the drivers, so I downloaded them onto a pen drive and manually installed them through Device Manager. So if you only have one computer in the house, download the drivers from the Intel site first - you need of course to know the version of Windows you are using and whether it is 32 or 64-bit.

So, an easy upgrade for me. Five stars

Beechfield Unisex Ultimate 5 Panel Contrast Baseball Cap With Sandwich Peak / Headwear (One Size) (Black/Bright Royal)
Offered by COOZO

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made - but only fits up to 7 1/2 heads., 16 July 2015
The quality of the cap is fine - it's tough and robust, and clearly well-made. It is, however, slightly too small for my 7 5/8ths head - even at full stretch. So, plus for quality, but could have accommodated big bonce people like me too.

Kingston Technology 8 GB USB 2.0 DataTraveler SE9H Flash Drive with Metal Casing

5.0 out of 5 stars Tiny, tough and huge capacity., 16 July 2015
I've used Kingston pendrives for some time, and trust their security. This drive is huge - 8GB - ideal for my main purpose, backing up my photographs from my laptop before and after post-processing. I am confident in the security of my data, and the neat design is very practical. It's small and robust, and has a permanent place in my camera bag.

Swatch Ladies Color The Sky Multicolour Dial Watch
Swatch Ladies Color The Sky Multicolour Dial Watch
Offered by uhrenwatch

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes us smile when we look at it!, 16 July 2015
This was a surprise gift for my wife, and I am pleased to say she loves it! Swatch is of course a well-known brand, so I had no qualms about the quality; the design is of course personal preference, but I was very attracted by the Summery "fun" look of the colourful stripes, as was my wife. As a holiday and weekend watch, an ideal purchase.

Pet Gear Travel Lite Tri-Fold Dog Ramp, 71 x 16 x 4 cm
Pet Gear Travel Lite Tri-Fold Dog Ramp, 71 x 16 x 4 cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and secure fit for a Freelander II amongst others!, 16 July 2015
Our Giant Schnauzer recently became totally blind through glaucoma, and one of the adjustments we have had to make is to consider how to get her into and out of the boot of our car, a Landrover Freelander II. The second series of these vehicles measure significantly more from ground to bottom of the boot area due to the provision of a full-sized spare wheel, so any ramp had to be a) long enough to allow a manageable gradient for ascent and descent, and b) robust enough to allow a 30kg dog to use it safely.

This Pet Gear ramp ticks both boxes (actually at least three, as "safely" also means without the dog slipping when climbing or descending!)

The ramp claims to hold up to a 90 kg (200lb) dog, and I can believe it. Unfolded, it is very rigid. It is 6 feet long (180cm) when unfolded, just right for the Freelander. At 40 cm (15.7 inches) wide, it's wide enough for our dog to be safely guided up and down.

The ramp sits securely on the back of the vehicle with a non-slip recessed end, and also has a snap fixing that clips onto the lower boot lock for security - the leash attachment is quite long, so you may have to put a knot or two in to ensure it's the right length. (Too long is better than too short, of course!) I mentioned security of footing above - the surface is rough and sandpaper-like, and our dog has never slipped on it. The roughness means you have to be careful where you put the non-slip side for storage.

The ramp folds neatly and easily for storage, and the clip to hold it in place once folded is neat. It weighs 14 lbs (6.4 kg), which is not too hard to lift. For us, it's ideal.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20