Profile for M. Boikou > Reviews

Content by M. Boikou

M. Boikou (Athens, Greece)

Definitely Dead: 6 (Sookie Stackhouse series)
Definitely Dead: 6 (Sookie Stackhouse series)
by Charlaine Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars A great story as always!, 25 Feb. 2010
"Wait! Did I mix up my books?" was my first reaction to Definitely Dead. That was because I was not familiar with Hadley's story, so my first reaction was to think that I had picked up the wrong sequel. I had not. The reason why Hadley's story was unfamiliar to me (and why it might be to you) is that it is not covered in any of the True Blood novels. So some required reading before you delve into another addictive Sookie tale is A Touch of Dead: A Sookie Stackhouse Collection. As the title explains, this is a collection of short stories based on Sookie's universe. And this is where you will find out what happened to Hadley, but also some background info on Claudine, Vlad Tsepes (or Count Dracula) etc etc...

Once In A Lifetime
Once In A Lifetime
by Cathy Kelly
Edition: Audio CD

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy the audiobook, 7 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Once In A Lifetime (Audio CD)
This review only refers to the audio book.

I am asking for a refund on this audio book. The story is good, the characters like-able and you really do want to follow the story. This horribly produced audio book, however, ruined the whole experience for me when in the middle of the 4th cd (roughly chapter 4 of the book) it skipped over to chapter 17!! I skipped over to the next track thinking it may just be a mistake, but it was not. The whole of chapter 17 was on disks 4 and 5. And when chapter 17 ends chapter 8 begins!
And because this audio book does not start chapters with new tracks, you have to listen to the whole track to see if/where a new chapter begins. So far I have skipped through disks 4-5-6 and have still not found my thread, but it is an understatement to say that the whole experience was ruined for me, as I basically heard the ending of the book and some major plot twists on cd 4 of this 12 cd experience.
I am surprised other customers have not complained of this.
So far the book was not bad though(although to me the Irish Accents Jacqueline Tong gives every character makes them sound mean.)

The House at Riverton
The House at Riverton
by Kate Morton

5.0 out of 5 stars An atmospheric - engaging read, 2 April 2009
This review is from: The House at Riverton (Paperback)
I rushed to buy "The House at Riverton" right after I read Kate Morton's The Forgotten Garden and I'm glad I did. It's one of those books that pull you into their world, which is so detailed and atmospheric, that you really don't want to leave. That's if you're into "period pieces", because even though this novel travels back and forth in time as the narrator's memory unfolds, the main story still takes place at Riverton House in the 1920s. Morton tells the stories of the inhabitants of Riverton House, both above and below the stairs, in a very well researched way, that makes you feel that this is indeed a first hand account by someone who was really there.

I would not describe this novel as a romance, it's more the story of a whole household struggling to ignore and then come to terms with changing times that dictate a change of ways no one is ready for. Grace, the narrator, cannot tell the stories of Hannah and Emmeline without telling her own and she does so in the setting of pre and post WW1 Britain.

I'm looking forward to the next read by Kate Morton.