Profile for Jacki H > Reviews

If You Were Me
If You Were Me
by Sheila O'Flanagan

4.0 out of 5 stars Delightfully romantic, 6 Mar. 2016
This review is from: If You Were Me (Paperback)
Carlotta is a smart business woman, totally focussed on her job and currently planning her wedding to Chris. On a business trip to Seville Carlotta misses her flight back to Dublin and this somewhat small incident actually unleashes a chain of events which turn her ordered life upside down.
Coming face to face with her first love Luke Evans, with whom she enjoys a magical night in Seville and a passionate goodbye kiss at the train station, leave Carlotta doubting her life choices. She ends her relationship with her fiancé Chris, falls out with her best friend Sive and throws herself back into her work. But, unable to forget the feelings she still has for Luke proves to be more difficult than she thought and the course of true love eventually wins through.
I really enjoyed this book, which had me guessing right to the end :-)

Not Quite Nice
Not Quite Nice
by Celia Imrie

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite a witty and amusing romp., 9 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Not Quite Nice (Paperback)
There were a lot of characters to remember, but once they were firmly planted in my head I loved the fact that they all had individual personalities. I would have expected 'retired folk' moving to a foreign land to have a relaxed and quiet life, but this lot certainly had many a caper between them! With many laugh out loud moments, mingled with some sad stories I really enjoyed this novel, it certainly brightened up a dull and cold January :-)

The Chocolate Lovers' Christmas (Christmas Fiction)
The Chocolate Lovers' Christmas (Christmas Fiction)
by Carole Matthews

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Carole, 12 Jan. 2016
I loved this book! I've read all of 'The Chocolate Lovers' books so far and this one certainly didn't disappoint. The usual references to chocolate, which given that I am a huge chocoholic, had me drooling, and mixed with the whole Christmas scene I never wanted it to end.

Carole makes it so easy to get drawn into the lives of the characters, all of which have their own stories to tell, some quite sad, but the great friendship between the 'members' is fabulous.

As with previous books there were plenty of laugh out loud moments, which is one of the reasons why I read these books, and I'm already looking forward to the next one :-)

A Seaside Affair
A Seaside Affair
by Fern Britton

5.0 out of 5 stars A happy feel good read., 12 July 2015
This review is from: A Seaside Affair (Paperback)
I'm a big fan of Fern Briton and loved this novel. Saving the Pavilions Theatre from being sold to a Coffee Shop chain was the basis for the story and the residents of Trevay were determined to put up a fight. Having a hotshot producer on hand with "the right contacts" was of course a bonus but nonetheless the battle was not all plain sailing. A great cast with a good dose of "luvvie" actor emotions thrown into the mix made this a delightful read. Well done Fern, another winner :-)

Trespass Women's Chorley Jacket - Bamboo, 2X-Large
Trespass Women's Chorley Jacket - Bamboo, 2X-Large

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice lightweight jacket, 11 Jun. 2015
Nice enough jacket, neutral colour so will match most outfits and is a good fit apart from the sleeves which were very long. However I wasn't happy with the material, so for this reason I decided to return it :-(

Under a Cornish Sky
Under a Cornish Sky
by Liz Fenwick

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Liz Fenwick, 6 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Under a Cornish Sky (Paperback)
I'm a huge fan of Liz Fenwick and this latest novel has surpassed her previous three. A story revolving around two very different women, Demi who leaves a very unhealthy relationship in London and moves to Cornwall where her Grandfather lives and Victoria, who despite being the wealthy owner of her family home Boscawen is in fact a very unhappy woman.

As the tale unfolds we find Demi trying desperately to fill the gaps of her childhood, but with her mother recently deceased and her grandfathers health deteriorating the answers are not easy to find. At the other end of the scale is Victoria, outwardly a steely determined lady who has enjoyed a string of secret affairs and is currently engrossed in the regeneration of the Boscawen estate, which following the death of her husband believes will be solely hers. Beneath this cool exterior however Victoria hides the heartache of not having been able to have children and with further tragedy to come we see a vulnerable side to her. I felt very sad for her and definitely warmed to her as the book progressed.

However, a surprise is in store for these two women and limits are pushed to extremes before happiness can prevail.

I am biased because I live in this part of Cornwall but I still love the attention to detail Liz portrays when describing locations etc and she always manages to bring the characters to life, so much so that I feel I know them.

I had the pleasure of meeting Liz at a book signing for this novel and she kindly signed my copy, my only sadness now that I've read it is having to wait for the next one. :-)

Ivy Lane
Ivy Lane
by Cathy Bramley

5.0 out of 5 stars A heartwarming story full of delightful characters, 23 May 2015
This review is from: Ivy Lane (Paperback)
I'm new to the Ivy Lane stories so found this book to be utterly delightful. The story revolves around the main character Tilly, who after a tragedy in her life moves to a new town and decides to take on an allotment plot at Ivy Lane in the hope that it will help her to 'move on'. Her desire to be left alone to enjoy peace and quiet however doesn't quite go to plan as she gradually finds herself being drawn into the lives of the Ivy Lane community, which eventually helps to heal Tilly's heartache.
I loved this book, it was warm with plenty of laugh out loud moments. Well done Cathy :-)

The Oyster Catcher
The Oyster Catcher
by Jo Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful romantic read, 29 April 2015
This review is from: The Oyster Catcher (Paperback)
I loved this debut novel by Jo Thomas. A great storyline which builds around the arrival of Fi to Dooleybridge, a bit of a backwater that has seen better days. Fi is 'on the run' following her disastrous wedding and ends up working for Sean Thornton on his oyster farm, despite her chronic fear of water!
The eclectic mix of characters help to bring this story to life and Fi is soon part of the community and although initially dubious of Fi, Sean soon realises just how committed she is to the Oyster Farm.
I really enjoyed this book, it certainly taught me a lot about oysters! I will definitely look out for Jo's next novel :-)

Pikolinos Uruguay 864-1, Womens Hi-Top, Red (Arcilla/Df), 6 UK
Pikolinos Uruguay 864-1, Womens Hi-Top, Red (Arcilla/Df), 6 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous footwear., 12 Mar. 2015
This is my second pair of Pikolinos and they are fabulous. So comfortable and fit like a dream. Would highly recommend.

A Christmas Feast
A Christmas Feast
by Katie Fforde

5.0 out of 5 stars This really was A Christmas Feast., 7 Jan. 2015
This review is from: A Christmas Feast (Paperback)
I love Katie Fforde's books and this collection of seasonal short stories were delightful. The short stories were perfect to read when only a short amount of time could be snatched, with the longer stories being saved for snuggling down with under the duvet. Really lovely :-)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3