Profile for Adrian Howard > Reviews

Practical Empathy: For Collaboration and Creativity in Your Work
Practical Empathy: For Collaboration and Creativity in Your Work
by Indi Young

5.0 out of 5 stars Ended up sparking a *lot* of ideas, 11 Jan. 2016
I initially thought this was going to be one of those "good, but I know this already" books, but it ended up sparking a *lot* of ideas in my head. Especially some of the ways of talking about ongoing research — language is so important in helping everybody see value. Going to be revisiting this in the context of the stuff I do with customer interviewing & incremental persona. Recommended.

User Story Mapping: Discover the Whole Story, Build the Right Product
User Story Mapping: Discover the Whole Story, Build the Right Product
by Jeff Patton

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly recommended. Go buy it for your team today., 24 Sept. 2015
This is a bigger book than the title suggests. Jeff Patton has managed to pack three separate really good books into the 324 pages of his "User Story Mapping".

Most obviously, it's an excellent book on User Story Mapping. For me it's one of the core practices I use during agile & lean product delivery. It's useful during discovery & development — and Jeff covers both those cases with several real world examples to help drive the value of the practice home.

It's also an excellent book on user stories. I've seen far too many people create bad user stories by misunderstanding their intent, slavishly using templates, or misunderstanding how the team can use them as a tool to explore risk and scope. The book covers all these issues and more — giving a fantastic overview on how to work productively with stories.

Finally it's a book on product management in an agile world. The conversations about user stories and user story mapping all take place in the wider context of how to do effective product discovery and development in an agile and lean environment. How they can be used to discover opportunities, build shared understanding, validate learning, and build better products and services.

And he manages to do all of this in a clear, practical and jargon free way. If you've not figured it out already — I *really* like this book. It’s something that anybody involved in agile product development will get value from. Thoroughly recommended. Go buy it for your team now.

ELEKTROGRAD: RUSTED BLOOD
ELEKTROGRAD: RUSTED BLOOD

4.0 out of 5 stars What's not to like!, 15 Aug. 2015
Walking building, Soviet experimental cities, robots, murder, burned out detectives. What's not to like!

The Incrementalists
The Incrementalists
by Steven Brust
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Came in expecting SFish conspiracy theory murder mystery. Got something closer to a magic-realism romance story. In Vegas. Great, 13 Aug. 2015
TL;DR: Came in expecting SFish conspiracy theory murder mystery. Got something closer to a magic-realism romance story. In Vegas. Great fun.

My expectations coming into this book were that it was going to be romp on a large scale. A murder mystery in the middle of a secret society of semi-immortals that have been manipulating the whole of human society (for the better) for millennia.

If you're coming to this expecting a thriller you're going to be a little disappointed.

Instead the international conspiracy side was mostly background to the relationship between the two central protagonists. That's not to say the background isn't fascinating. I'm looking forward to future volumes set in the same world that explore this world in more depth.

I did initially found the similarity in voice between Ren & Phil's voices a little disconcerting but later revelations made that make sense in context.

(One other minor niggle is a typographic one. The Phil/Ren sections are introduced in the hardbook copy in a, to me, illegible cursive font. Caused a little bit of friction every single time I returned to the book.)

A Key, An Egg, An Unfortunate Remark
A Key, An Egg, An Unfortunate Remark

4.0 out of 5 stars everybody trying to kill each other was a bad idea for long term survival of all sides, 11 Mar. 2015
Imagine Buffy grew up, got some perspective, and decided that maybe, just maybe, everybody trying to kill each other was a bad idea for long term survival of all sides.

Some years later she's in her sixties, trying to atone for decades of mass murder, while keeping Seattle a safe zone for all sides. Then somebody kills her nephew.

A pacifist urban fantasy / mystery. The conclusion of the mystery stuff felt a little rushed at the end, but still great fun. Recommended.

CellDeal Mens Plain Webbing Canvas Belt Fit 32 to 52 inch Black
CellDeal Mens Plain Webbing Canvas Belt Fit 32 to 52 inch Black
Offered by Ayliss shop

1.0 out of 5 stars Build quality was poor, lots of sharp edges, 10 Mar. 2015
Build quality was poor, lots of sharp edges. Didn't grip enough to actually hold my jeans up. Felt like it will fall apart in a week.

The Mom Test: How to talk to customers & learn if your business is a good idea when everyone is lying to you
by Rob Fitzpatrick

4.0 out of 5 stars Good content, but go for the ebook over the paper copy., 1 Mar. 2015
Content is excellent. Good solid practical introduction to custdev interviewing for those without a background in it. Will be recommending this one to my interviewing workshop folk.

But not the paper copy, since the quality of the physical product is awful. Terrible typography and the book feels like it will fall apart in five minutes.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 30, 2016 12:41 PM BST

Badass: Making Users Awesome
Badass: Making Users Awesome
by Kathy Sierra

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally badass., 1 Mar. 2015
Lovely book that synthesises a bunch of stuff on motivation, skills acquisition, flow, etc. into a nice product development framework (and unlike a certain popular science writer I could name references the original sources for those who want to dig further ;-)

As an additional bonus Kathy uses the techniques she describes in the book in a delightfully meta way to structure the book itself.

Totally badass.

Kensington K33374USA Wireless 2.4 GHz USB Presenter and Red Laser Pointer, Compatible with PowerPoint and KeyNote - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Since I've just recommended this to a friend verbally I thought I might ..., 19 Aug. 2014
Since I've just recommended this to a friend verbally I thought I might as a well write a review since I've dug up the link.

Last year I was looking for a new remote, and a couple of friends recommended this. I'm glad they did.

It's "just worked" on half a dozen different Mac's & PCs. It's just worked in really large rooms where my last remote failed. The batteries last an age. One of those bits of kit that's always in my bag and has never failed. Recommended.

FISHER SPACE PEN DELUX GRIP BULLET - BLACK WITH CAPACITIVE STYLUS
FISHER SPACE PEN DELUX GRIP BULLET - BLACK WITH CAPACITIVE STYLUS
Offered by primesaless

2.0 out of 5 stars The only Fisher pen I've regretted buying, 18 May 2014
I lost my last bullet space pen a few months back, and this seemed like it would be a nice replacement. I spend a lot of time with tablets and having a stylus always with me would be a boon.

The stylus itself works okay, but it's not very robust. It's already cracked after a couple of months and I don't see it lasting much longer. I've had freebie stylus pens that I've had a couple of years that are still going.

The second, and larger problem, is that the stylus end of the pen unscrews - one assumes so that you can replace the stylus. Unfortunately it works free all of the time. Almost every time I get the pen out I need to tighten up the end before I can start writing. I've had the pen spring open in my pocket, in bags, while writing. Very annoying

Finally, and this is more of a personal taste issue, previous bullet pens I've owned have had an all-metal barrel. This one has rubber grips. I personally prefer the all-metal look.

I've had four or five Fisher pens in the past. They've all been excellent. This one isn't… avoid. Nice idea, poorly implemented.

Page: 1 | 2