Profile for Ana > Reviews

Ana (London)

Lost For Words: If you loved THE KEEPER OF LOST THINGS, you'll love this
Lost For Words: If you loved THE KEEPER OF LOST THINGS, you'll love this

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply wonderful, 13 July 2017
I read this book in a day, it's heartbreaking yet uplifting, beautiful and funny. A book with a beating heart.

I Am Yours
I Am Yours

5.0 out of 5 stars The mesmerising voice of Shane Morgan, 23 April 2012
This review is from: I Am Yours (MP3 Download)
If there is one album you take a gamble on this year, it should be 'I am yours' by the wonderfully sultry Shane Morgan. With deep and rich tones beyond his years, Shane Morgan pulls the heartstrings in this wonderfully written and beutifully sung debut album that draws you in and makes you press replay more times than you'd care to admit. The voice of Shane Morgan is stunning and almost entirely undescribable, husky, warm, and almost heartbreaking in its sincerity.

If there is one song to fall in love with this year, for me, it is track No 2, the gorgeously questioning 'Why', a wonderful creation, a 'Dolly Parton-esque' reflection on life and love.

Fantastic Mr Fox [DVD] [2009]
Fantastic Mr Fox [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ George Clooney
Offered by joe4books

5.0 out of 5 stars Slightly magical!, 2 Feb. 2012
If you are in the mood for watching something slightly unusual, funny, visually stunning and a fair few hops and skips away from Disney (just for a change!) then this is the film for you. If I am completely honest, I wasn't sure about it at first, and wondered over the course of the first 10 minutes of the film, if this was suitable for my 4 year old - but I love Roald Dahl. And my daughter absolutely loved it, and was devastated to learn it had been deleted on our Sky box, hence we have now decided to buy it and watch it again and again. George Clooner is PERFECTLY cast as the poultry thieving mastermind, the 'Fantastic Mr Fox', torn between the call of the wild and his perfect little foxy family (his beautiful wife voiced by Meryl Streep) and his little boy, whose conception encouraged his father out of his life of crime and into family bliss, a step not an easy one for him to take. Roll on adventure, danger and more masterminding as Mr Fox decides to pull off one more(or three) last heists and, by doing so, puts his family (and the rest of the wild life) in danger. Can he save them all?

Orchard Toys Scaredy Cat
Orchard Toys Scaredy Cat

5.0 out of 5 stars Raise your own counting genius while having lots of fun too!!!, 20 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Orchard Toys Scaredy Cat (Misc.)
I bought this for my daughter who is only 3 but really enjoys numbers and counting. I had planned to put it away until she was a bit older but having gotten tired of our usual game of Snap we got it out and decided to try it out. Out of many, many toys she owns this game has got her more excited than anything in a long time! It is fantastic, brilliant fun, and very easy to learn. The aim of the game is to assemble a scarecrow while collecting birds, but when a Scaredy Cat is drawn the birds run away (ie you have to put them back!) When the Scarecrow is complete, the player with the most birds wins.

It is recommended for children over the age of 4 but she has mastered in about 5 minutes and as the cards are so durable and sturdy I can really recommend it for slightly younger children. When the game is over we had lots of fun counting all the birds to see who had won! I am amazed how cheep this is as its real worth it much more. So much more fun and educational than many other games out there. Passed with flying colours - it will be one we bring out time and time again!!!

Port Side Pirates! (Book & CD)
Port Side Pirates! (Book & CD)
by Oscar Seaworthy

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should own one!, 7 Oct. 2009
I got this book for my daughter to listen to in the car, and it's now the ONLY thing we are allowed to listen to! The song is funny and catchy and my daughter (who is less than 2!) asks for 'Pirates, pirates!' as soon as we get in the car and claps her hands excitedly when the music comes own. I can't imagine this book without the CD, so it's definitely worth paying a little extra. A right treasure!!

The Gruffalo's Child
The Gruffalo's Child
by Julia Donaldson
Edition: Board book

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely sequel to the Gruffalo, 5 May 2009
This review is from: The Gruffalo's Child (Board book)
Perhaps not quite as good as the Gruffalo, but still a treat.

The Gruffalo's child tells a story of the little monster in search of the Big Bad mouse you have come to know and love in the original book. Will he find him? Is the mouse still as clever and cunning? Hmm.... Read and find out.

Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire (2 Disc Edition) [DVD] [2005]
Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire (2 Disc Edition) [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Timothy Spall
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter's Goblet of Fire = two and a half hours of fun, 12 July 2006
I am pleasantly surprised at how, in my opinion, the movies get better which each new edition. I thought the last one was beautiful, not at all rubbish, and this one shares the same glory. As mentioned by other reviewers, large chunks of the book were cut out, and the storyline slightly changed, only slightly, missing out the elf accused of setting off the death mark, and so on, but if you try to ignore this fact you will enjoy this film that much more. Eventually, you will see it as a beatiful adaptation of the best (and most important) parts of J.K. Rowling's Goblet of Fire. I'm enjoying watching the cast grow up with the films and their first on screen crushes. There's a lot of dark, scary stuff here, too, so this is not so suitable for younger viewers. I should think the film would be easy enough to follow even if you haven't read the books, although don't replace the experience of reading for one of purely watching.

Cinderella [Special Edition] [DVD] [1950]
Cinderella [Special Edition] [DVD] [1950]
Dvd ~ Ilene Woods
Offered by Jasuli

4.0 out of 5 stars Remastered film has lost some magic, 5 Nov. 2005
I have been looking forward to this one for a while now-one of the most magical Disney classics is now available to own od DVD! As a child,I had a Disney book which included all the classic stories, including Cinderella. Although I had never seen it as a motion picture (until now) the pictures from my book stayed with me and I couldn't wait to see them move. When the film started, I realized the pictures in my head are a milestone away from what this film has now become. Digitally remastered, it is a "modern version" of the classic, but it has unfortunately lost a lot of its' original charm. Determined to prove myself wrong I browsed through the tons of extra features, and found the original trailors for the film, several of them in fact, all of which are exactly what I expected Cinderella to be. The colours on the original are much softer, there is more detail and more shading and all of this is a part of Disney magic, some of which is now unfortunately lost. I was hoping the newly released Cinderella would sing praise to her original animators, but clearly the studio felt some things just had to be updated. Shame really, because otherwise Cinderella is a timeless classic, (its' story stil the same), it is funny, touching, magical and hopeful and for some less fussy fans it will make a wonderful Christmas pressie. There are lots of extra features, for both kids and adults, including the history of Disney and the making of Cinderella. But it just doesn't fit. 21st century Disney films aren't like the original classics, and seeing them "digitally restored" makes you think it's a brand new film (computer animated), when in fact it was drawn by hands of talented animators over 50 years ago. This should be praised by the film itself, not just in the interviews on the extra disc in the box. That aside, if you've never seen Cinderella and have no idea what the film SHOULD look like, you won't be disappointed. And you really shouldn't miss it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 10, 2010 9:48 AM GMT