Profile for Johnjoe66 > Reviews

Ghosts [2006] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ai Qin Lin
Offered by TwoRedSevens

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended - top quality film, 16 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Ghosts [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
This DVD had been resting on my shelf for some months - I kept putting off viewing it because I feared it would be a depressing watch. On the contrary, I found it to be hugely involving and, at times, extremely funny. It is incredibly moving (you will have to have a pretty hard heart not to cry at some scenes) but the eye-opening and potentially 'worthy' message is communicated with a humanity that is motivating and positive rather than simply depressing.

Nick Broomfield tells the story with subtle skill. The illusion of documentary reality is almost perfect but this does not distance the viewer from the characters - we enter into their thoughts and feelings partly through the excellent and subtle use of music and partly from utterly convincing performances.

Affectionate Punch
Affectionate Punch

5.0 out of 5 stars I like this version, 22 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Affectionate Punch (Audio CD)
I think the reviews are a bit harsh on this remixed version. I think some of the tracks (e.g. Logan Time) benefit from the epic beefed up production. Ideally it would be good to get a release with both versions in one handy package, but as this is not available you should buy both, particularly at these low prices!

My Beauty
My Beauty

5.0 out of 5 stars Be inspired by Kevin Rowland!, 30 Jun. 2006
This review is from: My Beauty (Audio CD)
The general reaction of ridicule to the cover of this record is depressing testimony to how conservative and marketing driven the music industry has become. The music inside is soulful, completely unpretentious, genuine and honest and at times inspirational (the version of "Rag Doll" is a tour de force). Kevin Rowland is one of the most challenging and individual artists in modern popular music. How depressing that all this gets forgotten and his records ignored because he wears female clothes on an album cover!