Profile for Peter Ward > Reviews

Content by Peter Ward

Peter Ward (market harborough, leics.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Legacy (The Very Best Of)
Legacy (The Very Best Of)
Offered by FLASH

5.0 out of 5 stars Enough singles collections, what about a real "best of" ?, 19 Nov. 2016
Being a huge Bowie fan since I first heard Ziggy Stardust back in the early1970's I am very familiar with all the singles on this collection and have all the tracks, except the remixed "Life on Mars ?". So can revue this, as most reviewers have done, with 5 stars for the music. A great purchase for anyone that is not an especially big fan or someone younger just getting into Bowie.
My point is, Bowie has made so many fantastic and influention tracks that weren't singles, many that are on some of the not so popular albums he has produced, that a "best of...excluding singles" would surely fill a hole in the market.
Many people like Bowiie and are familiar with the well known tracks but have no desire to wade through each album. A compilation of this type would not only compilment this singles collection, but may also spur buyers on to try other full albums.
The double disc version is an ideal gift for anyone.

Forever Young
Forever Young

2.0 out of 5 stars What a huge disappointment! To start with I'm afraid that, 20 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Forever Young (Audio CD)
After not really watching much of the X factor over recent years, mainly because of the truly awful Louis Walsh and the total lack of talent of the contestants, I happened to see the first appearance of Louisa Johnson by mistake. I was truly impressed by her voice and tuned in most weeks just to watch her progression. To be honest only her and Shaun miley moore had voices to write home about.
So when she won I thought I'd buy the CD single to hear the tracks she'd recorded.
What a huge disappointment ! To start with I'm afraid that, although I'm a huge Bob Dylan fan, 'Forever young' I find to be one of his weaker tracks so poor Louisa was starting off with one hand tied behind her back, so to speak.
'God only knows' on the other hand is one of the all time great songs, but hardly suited to her voice, being a 'surf' song, not reliant on great vocals.
Poor girl. it isclear from this disc and from the program the she has a great voice, with the looks and personality to really go far. BUT whoever picked these songs really needs to look and listen to the results and wonder what could have been. Perhaps including 'This is a man's world' ?
We should remember that the X factor is purely a vehicle for Simon Cowell to become richer and nothing more. Most winners have been dropped in no time at all. With the exception of the charisma less Leona Lewis, who's time has gone. Even the more sucessful acts like JLS albums can be found in the bargain bins everywhere. Only 1 direction have bucked the trend and lets be honest about their true talent.
To sum up, let's just say that in this humble reviewers opinion Louisa Johnson is by far the best thing to have ever come out of this ridiculous show, and hope that her career is not blighted by greedy management and bad song choices. She has true star quality and deaerves to reach the very top.

Shades Of Blue
Shades Of Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensational !, 5 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Shades Of Blue (Audio CD)
I bumped into an old friend of mine recently and as usual our conversation ended up on the subject of music. He is one of these people with too much money and time on his hands (yes, I am jealous), and he started raving about a vinyl purchase he had recently made for a ridiculous amount of money. Namely "Shades of blue".
I knew I had to get the CD and bought this double pack after reading reviews on amazon. Namely one by R. Bawden. His review needs no addition and sums things up perfectly so I won't repeat it. Just to say...don't miss this opportunity to own and enjoy two of the best albums I have ever heard. I'm not a massive jazz fan, tending to listen to other genres more but these albums are a must buy whether you are a jazz fan or not.

FANPAC Men's Blondie Songbird Crew Neck Short Sleeve T-Shirt, Black, Large
FANPAC Men's Blondie Songbird Crew Neck Short Sleeve T-Shirt, Black, Large

5.0 out of 5 stars good quality., 10 Feb. 2014
I love this t shirt. Everything about it is right for me. The price was very reasonable, the quality very good, the image large and clear, the sizeing correct and the delivery was very fast.
Highly recommended.

Julian
Julian

5.0 out of 5 stars sublime, 5 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Julian (MP3 Download)
I bought this e.p. along with Say lou lou's other e.p. "Better in the dark".
Both e.p.'s are outstanding.
"Julian" is just exceptional, the arrangement is superb, the vocals are sublime.
The track starts off quietly and builds in tempo and volume as it progresses, with a nice break in the middle.I hope an album follows soon.
The four extra remixes included are all of an exceptional quality and varied and importantly not too long.
The 'b' side "Fool of me" is a slow etherial track haunting and a real grower.
Highly recommended.

Better in the Dark
Better in the Dark

5.0 out of 5 stars stunning !!!, 3 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Better in the Dark (MP3 Download)
I can honestly say I don't know what made me buy this. But I'm so glad I did.
The first 2 tracks are basically an old 'A' and 'B' side. Both tracks are well sung, the arrangement is perfect and I just cannot stop playing them.The final 3 tracks are remixes of 'Better in the dark'. A great mixture of styles. Non are over long like remixes can sometimes be. Well worth a listen.

Fake Smile
Fake Smile

3.0 out of 5 stars Too 'x factor', 17 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Fake Smile (MP3 Download)
I have only listened to this song a few times, but at this point in time find it disappointing. It sound like Rebecca is being driven down the Leona Lewis route of blandness. Both have amazing voices but if Rebecca's new album is in this vien then I can see her albums ending up at 1p on amazon as Leona's have.
I really hope this is not the case.

Early May
Early May

4.0 out of 5 stars superb, 13 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Early May (Audio CD)
I bought this cd as I was going to my first ever jazz evening and Tina May and her band were the main act. I am 54 and have been listening to all types of music and going to concerts all my life, but for some reason never seen live jazz, or really listened to much jazz except from the staples, i.e. john coltrane, miles davis and a little dudley moore(forgive the pun).
This is more along the dudley moore, cleo laine lines rather than the more heavy type and at my age that was the appeal.
I found the album very accessible from the start, when band had a very nice feel and Tina's voice complemented the music perfectly. Hers is a beautiful , dusky, late night voice that fits the song choices to perfection.
Standout tracks for me are 'ladies in mercedes', perhaps a little light for some tastes, but ideal for me, and 'lazy afternoon'. Although there is not a bad track and the song choices complement each other well.
A few weeks after purchasing this cd I attended the aforementioned jazz evening and Tina and here band were very good live and played some of the songs on this album.
Highly recommended for anyone just getting into jazz or for easy listening, which is no bad thing.

Set The Tone
Set The Tone
Offered by themusicmerchant

4.0 out of 5 stars worth a listen, 11 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Set The Tone (Audio CD)
I bought this cd after seeing nate perform on "the voice" where he was attempting to re ignite his singing career. This reminded me of the track of his from a few years ago called "set the tone" which i remembered quite liking. This spured me on to buy the album, and after reading possitive reviews on amazon i decided to give it a go. i must say i believe it was an inspired descision. Nate has a very soulful voice that completely suits this genre of music, and although this genre can, at times, sound a little bland his voice does all the songs justice, particularily the title track which is superb.
i think its a shame he only made it to the first knockout stage of "the voice" as i think he deserves a second bite of the cherry.
all in all it is a well produced and pleasant album and hopefully nate will get the second chance he deserves.

Perfectionist
Perfectionist

5.0 out of 5 stars sensational, 19 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Perfectionist (Audio CD)
What a fantastic album.I bought this a few days ago and just can't stop playing it.Genuinely, not one track that isn't good or great.
I am usually into bands and older music(Oasis, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, David Bowie, Kasabian etc.), but I do like a bit of pop now and again. So I thought I'd give this a try even though I find most pop a little too manufactured.
What a revalation, not only are the lyrics great(sometimes dark, sometimes a little tongue in cheek), but the music, although of a genre, is varied and played and sung beautifully.
Perfection, the spoken intro leads in nicely,
wonderland, the worst track on here was a single but is a little bland, perhaps a little lady ga ga esque
free, another single, another up tempo track has a beautiful run into the chorus with great girlie lyrics
kill my boyfriend,is more pop than dance, once again great lyrics.
break you hard. has a great intro, a nice slower track, a little similar to katy perry but(may I say it)better
zombie,a slower haunting track
love is a suicide,another pop track, once again a great hook
mirrors, is another single and reminds a little of jessie j
not in love, is a little funkier and builds throughout the song wonderfully
acid annie, the best track on the album,has a more rockier vein that the other tracks
superficial,gets us back into a more pop/dance sound. reminds me a little of madonna
broke, a beautiful ballad once again with beautiful lyrics
heaven, a track that grows with more plays, slower but her voice is just great
nothing last forever, gets more uptempo following two ballads.not great but once again different from the previous tracks
if i was god, another slower track, some of the singing reminds me of robyn.
All in all a great album that deserves as much acclaim as Jessie J. and compares with the aformentioned Lady Ga Ga but without the filler tracks. Give it a try.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3