Profile for D. Mitchell > Reviews

Content by D. Mitchell

D. Mitchell "fzb78g" (Bournemouth, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The First 20 Minutes: The Surprising Science of How We Can Exercise Better, Train Smarter and Live Longer

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be taught in schools!!, 24 Aug. 2016
Gives some great insights into the need to be active while busting some fitness related myths along the way.

Some of the conclusions are quite shocking and can help us make decisions about our health and fitness.

The humorous tone helps make it an easy read though it can get a bit repetitive at times.

Easy Lace, Flat - Carded Unisex-Adult, Silicone Laces - Yellow (Yellow 210), One size
Offered by Birch Jewellers

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 7 May 2016
Broke after a few uses in my trainers.

Took quite a while to get the right length pieces into the correct lace holes - time wasted as they broke!!

Bose SoundTrue Around-Ear Headphones II for Apple Devices - Charcoal Black
Bose SoundTrue Around-Ear Headphones II for Apple Devices - Charcoal Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Bose product as usual, 8 Jan. 2016
Excellent sound, comfortable to wear, good inline control.

Not specific to this product but Bose customer service is top class.

Sennheiser PMX 686i Sports Earphones - iPhone
Sennheiser PMX 686i Sports Earphones - iPhone

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, good price, 19 Aug. 2015
There are some niggles but the sound is as good as Bose equivalents that are more expensive.
I find these ideal for the gym because they stay in place whatever I'm doing.
If you are lying on the floor or sitting on a high back bench the neck piece may make contact and you may have to adjust your neck or head position.
Also ideal for running.
If you sweat and get moisture in your ears this will distort or amplify the sound - guess this is true for any in ear headphones.
The earpieces have little rubber grommets - these have been falling off daily - you'll still be able to use the earphones - I'm going to try gluing them!
There's a little clip for the lead which is OK but easy to lose - thinking about cable tying this!
Previous model use to fail at the junction of the cable and the plug - so ALWAYS unplug using the plug NOT the cable!!

Logitech 2.4 inch Harmony Touch Universal Remote Control for Home Entertainment System
Offered by GIL ENTERPRISE

5.0 out of 5 stars I successfully migrated from an earlier Harmony remote, 19 Aug. 2015
I migrated from an earlier Harmony remote - it was pretty much seamless which was a relief because the original set up took months and several help desk calls to perfect.

I definitely recommend this device.

I use it to control my Panasonic TV, Youview PVR and Bose cinema sound. It works perfectly well. The system is configured using the software provided which has had a welcome revamp and seems to the job quite well.

The charging station is now vertical which is an improvement.

Minor niggles are that the changes to the handset aren't necessarily improvements:
- the touch screen doesn't really add anything
- the numeric keypad has migrated to the touch screen requiring extra effort
- the base unit used to have a light in it to locate it in the dark - that's gone
- there's a touchpad feature on the touch screen which allows you to change volume etc. by swiping - but why do this when there are buttons for these functions?
- the button most commonly used are dispersed to all extremes of the handset so you're constantly having to adjust the grip to use them

HP 940Xl Original Pigmented Ink Cartridge for Officejet Pro 8000/8500/8500 A909A/8500A/8500A/A910A - Cyan/Magenta/Yellow/Black
Offered by TheInkPeople

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 July 2015
Great value - buying the same cartridges individually at my local Staples would cost twice as much

Reflex Nutrition  RBar Flapjack  70gm - Cherry & Almond (Pack of 12 Bars)
Reflex Nutrition RBar Flapjack 70gm - Cherry & Almond (Pack of 12 Bars)

1.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't buy again, 20 July 2015
I used to buy the Reflex chocolate flavoured flapjacks. Reflex seems to have replaced these with a new line of which this is one flavour.
I use the word "flavour" advisedly because these bars don't have any recognisable flavour. The texture is like moist cardboard. Oh and they're smaller and more expensive than their predecessors. I can't think of any reason to buy these bars.

Sennheiser PMX 685i Sports In-Ear Neckband Headphones
Sennheiser PMX 685i Sports In-Ear Neckband Headphones

3.0 out of 5 stars Good sound but limited life, 22 Jun. 2014
I like these Sennheisers and I've had various models. The sound is great.

The wraparound style is good for the gym and running but you may have to adjust position if your are sitting on a bench or lying on the floor.

Trouble is they tend to have a life of a year or less. The weakness is the joint between the cable and the plug which fails. You'll know this when the sound switches to mono or keeps switching tracks or generally misbehaving.

At the price a longer life would be good!!

Kindle Fire HDX 7", HDX Display, Wi-Fi and 4G, 64 GB - Includes Special Offers (Previous Generation - 3rd)

2.0 out of 5 stars Reflect Before You Buy!, 19 May 2014
I tried this on the beach yesterday.

I turned it up to full brightness but it was impossible to read in sunlight as the screen is highly reflective.

Don't bother if you want to use it in bright sunlight e.g. the beach.

I'm switching to a Paperwhite.

Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle: The Simple, Proven System of Fat Burning for Permanent Weight Loss, Rock-Hard Muscle and a Turbo-Charged Metabolism

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin., 30 April 2014
The title approximates to my training objectives so I bought a copy. Much of what's in it I've seen before, but it's well constructed and an interesting and informative read.
When I bought it I was on a plateau - after reading the book I decided that trying to burn fat and build muscle at the same time was the problem - so as Tom advised I switched to burning fat. I still do my resistance workouts but have decreased my food calorie intake and increased my cardio calorie burn. I'm currently losing one kilo a month but retaining my muscle. When I've got my fat levels right the plan is to build more muscle.
I haven't strictly adhered to Tom's diet or workouts but that's not the point - his approach works and he's not trying to tell you you'll get instant results.

The book has a good strategy backed up by research and advice.

Page: 1 | 2