Profile for Mark F. Davies > Reviews

Content by Mark F. Davies

Mark F. Davies (Dundee, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
Neet® HDMI - IR Injector Kit - (Infra- red) * Updated with RC-MM * for Remote Control of the latest Sky ,Virgin Tivo ,Humax Boxes from a remote location.
Offered by Neet Cables

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent contraption - it worked straight out of the box ..., 21 Oct. 2015
Excellent contraption - it worked straight out of the box without the need of any instructions etc. Delivery was really quick as well.

I've got this in the lounge with one output to the lounge TV, one output to bedroom 1 and one output to bedroom 2. Both the bedrooms have the IR injector kit attached and it works flawlessly. All in all really easy and absolutely what I wanted.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 24, 2015 2:49 PM GMT

Neet® Black Line - 15m - HDMI to HDMI Cable - ** Genuine 24awg ** - 3D - High-Speed HDMI with Ethernet Channel and Audio Return - Cat2 - 15.2Gbps - 1080p - 3D - UHD 4k / 30hz - HDMI® Lead
Offered by Neet Cables

Neet® - 1x4 Port HDMI SPLITTER BOX (1 input 4 way output) - Active Distribution Amplifier - v1.3b 1080p Full HD - Display HD on 4 TVs *** 3D ENABLED ***

Rosewood Natural Nippers Tuff Rope Ball
Rosewood Natural Nippers Tuff Rope Ball

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 10 Aug. 2014
One of my dog's favourites. It's strong and durable and copes with daily contact with teeth.

Petstages Cool Teething Stick
Petstages Cool Teething Stick

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a good toy for a young puppy but they soon grow ..., 10 Aug. 2014
It's alright but my dog hasn't really taken to it, preferring something a bit hardier to chew on. It's a good toy for a young puppy but they soon grow up a bit and move on to something else; in my dog's case, well before he even started teething.

Royal Canin Dog Food Medium Junior 15kg
Royal Canin Dog Food Medium Junior 15kg

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't really love it but my dog does, 10 Aug. 2014
I don't really love it but my dog does. He has it for every meal and wolfs it down. The only thing I'd say is that whilst it might be nutritionally complete my dog began to play with it after a while, craving some variety. I give him about half a cup at each meal and make up the rest with mince or fish or something a bit more tasty. It keeps his coat looking great and he has boundless energy (sometimes a negative!). Well worth paying the bit extra for great quality dog food rather than the cheaper alternatives.

OXO Good Grips Corer
OXO Good Grips Corer

4.0 out of 5 stars Does anyone really love their apple corer, 10 Aug. 2014
Does anyone really love their apple corer? Anyway, the corer is sturdy and has a really good handle on it. Dish washable which is always a plus. All in all, it's good.

Love in the Time of Cholera (Marquez 2014)
Love in the Time of Cholera (Marquez 2014)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 10 Aug. 2014
When I bought this I was a touch sceptical about the quote on the back of the book claiming that the writing was the closest thing to sensual pleasure prose can offer. Only being half way through I can now completely agree. Normally I storm my way through books, reading as many as three a week but with this I've found myself holding back and savouring every word. It's a treat to read and completely wonderful.

The Picture of Dorian Gray
The Picture of Dorian Gray

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal, 10 Aug. 2014
In my view this is Wilde at his best; it's dark and moody and utterly sublime throughout. Being from another time, it's a little more effort to read than modern prose is but well worth the effort.

Fifty Shades of Grey: Movie Tie-in
Fifty Shades of Grey: Movie Tie-in

2.0 out of 5 stars Missed Opportunities, 25 May 2013
I must confess to something; I bought this book when everyone was talking about it, but then read and heard various reviews which made me feel a little snobbish about it. As someone who studied English I'm used to dealing with the classics and so I must confess to feeling that 50 Shades was somewhat beneath my normal reading material, a tome intended for bored housewives in need of some titillation. However, I also believe that you really can't express an opinion on something if you haven't experienced it for yourself and so, one weekend, I settled back on the couch and began to read.

It is my view that the story could have been fantastically executed in the hands of a great writer however, E.L. James' limited vocabulary and poor grasp of literary technique mean that she frequently descends into ridiculousness. I understand why the 'inner goddess' sections are there, revealing Anastasia's inner turmoil at the BDSM world she's entering, but really this could have been executed far better. Indeed it is these sections which turn out to be the funniest: "My inner goddess reclines on the sofa, smoking a cigarette and gazing at me wantonly." Or something to that effect. By the end of the novel you come to wonder if Miss Steele is actually schizophrenic or at the very least very, very disturbed. E.L. James' writing leaves a massive amount to be desired and, as I've said, in the hands of a competent writer this series of books could have been transcendent, bringing the sexual exploits of the BDSM crowd into the mainstream and inspiring those naughty housewives to be a little daring in the bedroom. However, this isn't high brow stuff; it's a low brow book, written by a low brow author, for people for whose literary horizon doesn't expand past what's currently on the chart shelves at Tesco. That's fine though, whatever encourages people to read is a triumph in my view.

The plot itself is excellent, and manages to stir carnal feelings in even the most uninterested of readers. I won't lie, throughout the novel I was thinking 'ooh, I could try that' or 'that's a bit hardcore' but I think that's what books are supposed to do - inspire readers to expand their horizons and explore ideas they hadn't previously considered. Granted those ideas are usually philosophical or moral in terms of elevated high brow writing, but I don't see any reason they shouldn't be sexual. Lady Chatterley's Lover certainly attempted to explore the idea of class and sexual desire so why can't E.L. James take a look at sex in the modern world? She can, but I think that given her lack of literary ability, the idea for the books represent a missed opportunity to elevate something normally viewed by the British public as sordid and unspeakable into a conversation piece. I would be willing to venture that most of the people who discuss this book at water coolers haven't actually read it or would be too ashamed to own it given its content.

So in summation, the story is excellent but very poorly executed and as such this novel, and its sequels, represent a missed opportunity to do something fantastic. That said, however, it has become such a runaway success that it has encouraged people to read more and perhaps that is as noble an achievement as any modern writer can hope to achieve.

Page: 1 | 2