Profile for Wes Fazzani > Reviews

Content by Wes Fazzani

Wes Fazzani "Wes" (S. London. England. UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Nowhere Child: A Short Novel (Kindle Single)
Nowhere Child: A Short Novel (Kindle Single)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 17 July 2016
Possible Spoiler Alert
Superb follow up to Stranger Child. Rachel Abbott has done a blinding job of tying up the loose ends relating to Emma and Tasha et al, and has done so with the same levels of storytelling ability and character development she has demonstrated in her many other titles. So why 4 stars, because she left one more loose end... What happens to Andy?
Wes Fazzani

East End Diamond
East End Diamond

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Old British Gangster Fiction, 8 July 2016
This review is from: East End Diamond (Kindle Edition)
I've now read this and the previous instalment of this series and I'm hooked. Strong characters, from corrupted innocents to lovable rogues with a few villains thrown in for good measure, all nicely rounded off with a kingpin you cant wait to see get his comeuppance. Dani Oakley has really nailed the feel of the old East End.
I'm a south London boy myself but friends and family have been brought up within the sound of the old Bow bells and I've wandered the East India Dock Road and Chrisp Street market on more than one occasion. Through Dani's writing you get a real sense of the familiar sights, smells and sounds of a part of London that sadly no longer exists, the whole area having been a victim of gentrification.
This series is shaping up to be a corker and I cant wait to see whether Dave Carter finally manages to become king of the castle and to find out just how things turn out for little Jimmy Diamond. Ruby Morton is shaping up to be a very interesting character after appearing a little one dimensional at times. Unfortunately life, for characters like these, seems to have a way of kicking them when they're down, and no doubt in the long run everybody will lose in some way or another. I'm really looking forward to continuing the journey with them though.
Though it always pains me to compare books in this genre written by female authors to Martina Cole the fact is for a long time Ms Cole set the benchmark in East End criminal fiction, with this series however Dani Oakley is establishing herself as the number one contender for the heavyweight crown.
Summary: This is a fantastic read, I couldn't put it down and have no problems recommending it to both fans of this genre and anyone who just loves a good read. Make sure you read East End Trouble first though.
Wes Fazzani

iPad Pro Case, iPad Pro 12.9 Case, Fyy [Super Functional Series] Premium PU Leather Case Stand Cover with Card Slots, Note Holder, Quality Hand Strap and Elastic Strap for Apple iPad Pro 12.9 inch (2015) Black (With Auto Wake/Sleep Feature)
Offered by FYY EU Tech

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb iPad case, really does the job, 16 Jun. 2016
Extremely happy with this product. At this price point so many cases are of substandard quality, yet this case is insanely well made, fits the iPad beautifully and looks like it's worth around ten times the price I paid. For those saying the case is too stiff, all I'll say is that a) I want a snug fit so the iPad isn't flapping around inside the case, and b) these cases are always like this when new and do soften up with time and use

BLOOD TRAIL: Ninth in a Series of Jess Williams Westerns (A Jess Williams Western Book 9)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Read, 9 Mar. 2016
I absolutely love the Jess Williams series and I'm happier than a pig in the brown stuff that I found this series. Written in an easy to read, laid back style, they keep you interested right up to the last page and beyond. There are 40 some books in this series and so far the author has managed to make each one better than the last. The introduction of characters like Ol' Shoeless Joe and Nutball provided in my opinion a much needed comedy element that was done just right. Too much comedy would have taken away from the ambience the books create, but there's just enough here, and it's handled correctly, to add a little light humour to the seriousness of Jess' life. Much like that first beer or whisky would feel after a few days in the saddle out on the dusty trail, it gives the reader a little lift you didn't know you needed until you got it. Great series, great book within the series, long may Jess Williams ride.
Wezza

I Am London's Most Successful Crook: My amazing true story.  I stole £10 million and never got caught.
I Am London's Most Successful Crook: My amazing true story. I stole £10 million and never got caught.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Story Well Told, 8 Mar. 2016
Reading this was like sitting down for a chat with a favourite uncle or granddad. Jimmy Vine, according to his story, lived the life of Reilly despite the way he earned his money, albeit under the radar and away from the spotlight craved by so many villains, criminals and gangsters that have come along since. He comes across as a gentleman, something that we seem to be losing in these days of instant gratification and hooded youth. Aside from the crime aspect there is, within these well written pages an almost Tourist Guide style journey through London through the decades after the war. I loved this book and highly recommend it to anyone interested in the true crime genre. Well worth a read.

An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard Series Book 1)
An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Not quite Grisham, but still damn good, 8 Jan. 2016
Firstly let me begin by saying that I enjoyed this book. It's nothing fancy, and plot wise it's a pretty simple, dot-to-dot courtroom drama. However to say that's all there is to it would not do the book or Scott Pratt justice (pardon the pun, even if it was kinda intentional!). The characterisation is extremely good, the story flows smoothly, if a little flatly at times, and overall I sincerely enjoyed reading this first outing for Defense Attorney Dillard. One thing Mr Pratt does do well is paint a vivid picture of Tennessee and it's obvious the state holds a place in his heart. He made it beautiful yet real, without sounding like a travel guide.
In summary I would advise anyone who is a fan of Grisham or that particular genre to give Scott Pratt a fair trial and read this book. This, along with another of his books "Justice Redeemed", both of which were introduced to me by the Kindle Unlimited service, has been a pleasure to read and I look forward to continuing the Dillard series and reading Mr Pratt's other works. Well deserving of 5 stars.

Girl Number One: A Gripping Psychological Thriller
Girl Number One: A Gripping Psychological Thriller

3.0 out of 5 stars Is it really "Gripping", Really...?, 21 Dec. 2015
Having only just started reading this book courtesy of the Prime Kindle Unlimited subscription service I don't have an opinion on this book yet and as such will post a full review once I've finished it. However I was prompted to write this now by something, evident in the title of this book, that seems to be rather prolific at the moment and that absolutely grinds my gears. There seems to be a trend these days when naming your self published novels on Amazon to identify their genre in the title i.e. a psychological thriller etc etc. and while, to a degree I can somewhat understand this, I feel it is rather arrogant to add the adjective "Gripping" to that title, therefore making it a description. Whether or not a book is gripping is subjective and surely a matter for the reader to decide. In most cases use of this technique is enough to actually turn me off the book completely, and in this case it was only that I was browsing the reviews to see if anyone else had picked up on this that I decided to give it a go based on those reviews. As I have stated I will edit this once finished, in order to make this a full review, for now though Authors take note, please stop telling me how good YOU think your book is and let me be the judge of that.

Head in the Sand (The DI Nick Dixon Crime Series Book 2)
Head in the Sand (The DI Nick Dixon Crime Series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 14 Nov. 2015
Second book in the Nick Dixon series and a cracking read, even if the author does seem slightly obsessed with buildings made of red brick! Excellent plot, well paced and populated with well formed, believable characters. On to book three!

Skinny Delrin Wide Bore 510 Drip Tip For Electronic Cigarettes And Vaping Devices (Black)
Offered by The Drip Tip Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Drip tip, enough said, 17 Oct. 2015
It arrived very quickly, does exactly what it says on the tin and I really can't fault it. I purchased it for 3.99 with free postage so I think it was excellent value too.
It's a drip tip, and it works. Enough said

Pandora's Pitbull
Pandora's Pitbull

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, but...., 15 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Pandora's Pitbull (Kindle Edition)
I've not yet finished this book, but decided to buck my usual trend for not writing reviews until I'm done with the book for a couple of reasons. Firstly this is the 6th book of Mr Carroll's I've read, having thoroughly enjoyed the Stark trilogy, Drivers and In Many Ways, and to that end I already know I like this author's style and have no doubt that this book too will be finished in two or three sittings just like the others. The second reason is that a couple of things are annoying me, which have also annoyed in other books by this author (hence the 4 stars instead of 5). As with "In Many Ways" this book has an incredibly slow start, however upon persevering with it you are presented with a fairly well paced highland story, I just wish Mr Carroll would up the pace in the first couple of chapters to match the rest of the book. My other complaint is use of terms like "Machine Gun" when the author is obviously talking about an assault rifle. The British Armed forces and Armed Police Units do not use Machine Guns, although the H&K MP5 used by the police could loosely be called a machine gun as its official designation is SMG or sub-machine gun, however the army use SA80 Assault Rifles and the U.S. army (mentioned in a previous book) use M4 Assault Rifles. I don't feel it necessary for an author to be familiar with the make, model, calibre and serial number of every firearm ever utilised by Armed Personnel and Criminals alike (unless you're someone like Chris Ryan or Tom Clancy) however using the blanket term Machine Gun for any weapon with a higher fire rate than semi automatic just came across as a little juvenile.
Please don't let this detract from the quality of this author's work however, his prose flows like a gentle stream on a summers day (surprising given that I presume he is Scottish as he sets all of his stories in that locale, and is therefore unlikely to know what a summers day looks like!), his characterisations are fully three dimensional and one hundred percent realistic, and his dialogue has given me some genuine laugh out loud moments reminding of conversations in the pub with friends of mine that happen to be of the Scottish persuasion. His descriptions are to the point, and easily illustrate the scene he wishes to convey, yet at the same time do not pull you from the story due to bouts of "look how well I'm writing" over description. In my opinion Mr Carroll is a very talented writer and I would be happy to have the paperback copies of all of his books on my bookshelf. Not one book he has written has failed to entertain me and I can't wait to read whatever he writes next. My issues are minor and if Amazon allowed it I would have given 4.5 stars as I don't feel they warrant the deduction of a whole star, however for the reasons listed I cannot give this a full five stars.
Kudos to you Mr Carroll and please, please, please continue doing exactly what you do best.
In short... Definitely worth a read!
I'm away back the now to finish this book ( as they would say in Scotland!)
***UPDATE***
Having now finished the book, I can confirm that my earlier suspicions were in fact correct. This girl s a very good book. At times it can be a little fractured, and at times the pace can seem a little slow as I mentioned before, however I would have no qualms regarding re-reading this book and I did enjoy it. It's also nice to read an apocalypse novel that doesn't want to be the next Walking Dead and where the author is happy to wrap up the story in a single book. I did feel the ending was a little light after everything the characters had been through, but overall I definitely enjoyed it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9