Profile for gemmaddocherty > Reviews

The Battle For Everything
The Battle For Everything
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Its great but it takes a while. . ., 28 Sept. 2004
I discovered Five For Fighting about 3 or 4 years ago when I heard Superman on a music channel while basbysitting - I bought America Town and it was money well spent!!! It is a classic cd for any mood and sometimes the tracks are very uplifting when you're a bit down. Battle For Everything isn't a cd I instantly liked, 100 years i had heard before and loved it! But Maybe, Dying, and If God Made You are so beautifully written that you cant help but love them! My advice to people reading this is to listen to the testers on amazon and make up your own mind - it not for everyone but it is a fantastic cd. Try out America Town too because its more of an obvious success - both just as enjoyable - look out for Jainey on AmericaTown - its fab!!!

Maybe You Should Drive
Maybe You Should Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars BNL - so under-rated!!!!!!, 7 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Maybe You Should Drive (Audio CD)
I can't believe BNL have failed to acquire a massive fan base in Britain and it upsets me that other bands (who can't sing or play their own instruments) with no talent are topping the charts!!! Barenaked Ladies are fantastic and for those who saw them live recently I'm sure they will agree when I say they are a class act, Maybe You Should Drive is absolutely fantastic with a great mixture of upbeat and mellow tunes with (as always) original lyrics BNL style!!! Songs like "A" and "Life, In A Nutshell" are catchy and fun to listen to and are guaranteed to impress listeners where as songs such as "The Wrong Man Was Convicted" will let you see the more serious side to the best entertainers in the world!!! It is heartfelt and honest with thought provoking lyrics, BNL have never failed to produce a fantastic record and this is no exception - it is a must have in anyone's music collection! Go and buy it now!

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Book 5)
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Book 5)
by J.K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a genius concept!, 30 Mar. 2004
Okay, so I think I've read just about every review on Amazon about this book - people are forgetting the real point which is that J K Rowling has made children want to read again. These are childrens books after all and if it means that they aren't glued to the TV watching some mindless drivel then its a success already. The point is though that they aren't just for kids I'm 18 and I'm an avid fan of this series. I must've read this book at least twelve times since I got it and its fabulous - pure genius. Yes I agree that the ending was a bit of an anti climax but its bound to be. Harry has to get off the train at the end of each year or else the story wouldn't be complete. The book is full of information -too much maybe?- but every time I've read it I've noticed something new that I hadn't noticed before. It's full of new characters and they make this a richer read - bulking out the story, its got to be realistic, the same characters can't just stay the same for 7 books. The story is brilliant, the beginning before he gets to school is long but necessary, and once that is over it is worth it because you appreciate other aspects of the story more. The length is questionable - apparently its longer than the Old Testament - don't know if thats true but who cares. The story is becoming more complex and if they get longer each time I can't imagine how long the 7th one will be. But it doesn't matter because they are great stories, its difficult to write a good book but to write -so far- 5 is a major achievement! Whether you like it or loathe it you can't deny that JK Rowling is a fantastic author who has inspired millions of people to read.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Special Extended DVD Edition) [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Elijah Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars Its the missing link!!!, 11 Mar. 2004
For everyone who has read the books and sat through the first film going - "They've missed out a bit!" and "That was supposed to be in there!" Well here you are its all here on these discs. I agree - the extended film on two discs was a bad idea - how annoying having to change the disc half way through - but for anyone(and that should be everyone) who likes or loves Lord of the Rings this is an essential. You cannot criticise Peter Jackson for his effort and some of this you get to see. Fantastic!! If you don't have it go and buy it. Some of the extra scenes are really funny and add to the general enjoyment of the film. If you thought the cinema version was good then you'll love this!!

Films About Ghosts (The Best of Counting Crows) [CD+DVD]
Films About Ghosts (The Best of Counting Crows) [CD+DVD]
Offered by Bridge_Records

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Class!!, 3 Feb. 2004
Seriously could this album be any better, I doubt it. The Crows have really excelled themselves with this one. It is a rare occurance when a band manage to pull off a 'best of' album which would appeal to all their fans but in this case, it has been achieved. All their best songs on one album, people might think that there is no point in buying this album if you own all their CD's anyway but it is worth it. The DVD is also fab and for the price of an album you are getting good value for your money.
I was super impressed to see 'Mrs. Potters Lullaby' and 'Mr. Jones' on this, they are both fantastic catchy tracks which in other bands' cases have made them too out there to appear on their greatest hits. Good to see one of their newer tracks on it 'American Girls' although I would have said 'Hard Candy' equally deserved a place on this. One ommission which I found quite disappointing was 'Colorblind' - this is such a change for the Crows and it would have been good to see it recognised as a good diversion from their usual stuff.
'Hanginaround' - another classic track as were al the others, this band will go far - well even farther! A new recording was also included which I must say is fab. If you have never heard of the Counting Crows or their music then buy this. Buy this and then add to your collection by buying their earlier stuff. This CD is the Crows, it is their best songs on one value CD. Not only that but you get the DVD as well which treats you to some of those classic videos. If you only have enough money to but one CD this year then buy this one, you will certainly not be disappointed! Enjoy.

Everything to Everyone
Everything to Everyone
Offered by CAC Media UK

3.0 out of 5 stars There's something for everyone!, 29 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Everything to Everyone (Audio CD)
It really does pain me to say that I did not enjoy this album as much as the others. I agree with some of the other reviews in as much as their age is starting to show on this one - have the ladies really lost their touch? Now don't get me wrong I didn't like Maroon on first hearing it and now I do but I think it's doubtful that we'll see the same Stunt magic done again. However, as a huge fan I sincerely hope I'm wrong.
There are some fantastic tracks like Testing 1,2,3, and Maybe Katie - Another Postcard - well they excelled themselves with this one all the quirkiness of One Week and a fab tune. But, Have You Seen My Love? - Oh dear this one was weird and not in good BNL way, this was bad country and western style sacrilage!! I hope BNL are planning a UK tour soon although with the availability of this CD in any music stores remaining ZILCH I doubt this is going to happen either. This is a shame because singing a set like this live could possibly redeem themselves and prove to us loyal fans that all hope has not faded.
For longstanding BNL fans I'd say buy it - there is something for everyone and even if you don't like it all which is normally the case with any CD, you'll be glad you did because even if the ladies are slipping, their offerings are still worth every penny! Buy this and try not compare it to the past cos its in a different league, but maybe thats not a bad thing. Enjoy!

This Desert Life
This Desert Life
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Quietly surprising, 25 Nov. 2003
This review is from: This Desert Life (Audio CD)
After hearing 'Colourblind' on the Cruel Intentions sound track, it was a mad dash to find out who sung this fantastic song. I would have to say when I found out who it was I was surprised. I had bought Hard Candy first and so I was already a fan but this song was so uncharacteristic of the crows. It was soooo good I could hardly believe it. I went straight to the shops and bought This Desert Life. And I have to say after a few listenings I was hooked. Its a CD you can listen to in any mood. Mrs Potters Lullaby was so upbeat, followed by Amy Hit The Atmosphere, a mellow, calming song with a good bass beat. The album is beautifuly arranged, every song is exactly where it should be, listening to it you can understand where this music is coming from. You don't need to know the names of the tracks to understand them, I still don't know what half of them are called. The name isn't the point, for so many artists the name explains the song - here, it makes no difference. It's not hard to know what mood and feeling is being portrayed. I personally think this is one of their best albums to date, one of the top two. Hard Candy was less impressive but still a good album. Buy this album, you can't help but love it! It desrves more than five stars.

More Than You Think You Are
More Than You Think You Are
Offered by Great Price Media EU

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to the Basics, 15 Oct. 2003
Matchbox Twenty have once again astounded fans with a fantastic album incorporating the old and the new. While I found this album slightly disjointed compared to Mad Season it was well worth the wait!!! The songs are as usual fab throughout the whole album but certain tracks like Disease and Downfall are the of the stuff that make the hair on the back of your neck stand on end. Truly a feel good album. Hand me Down is a song to cry by and is filled with meaning and sadness, a good one to listen to when you're feeling a bit low. For those occasions also Bright Lights and Unwell make this album a stepping stone to becoming one of the best bands around. P.s. They can sing live aswell!!!!