Profile for S. Phipps > Reviews

Content by S. Phipps

S. Phipps "shop_of_delights" (London)

Page: 1 | 2
The Wet Brush Purple Classic Brush
The Wet Brush Purple Classic Brush

2.0 out of 5 stars I bought this brush in February It looked great and I had no complaints until the bristles started ..., 2 Aug. 2016
I bought this brush in February It looked great and I had no complaints until the bristles started to come out and got stuck in my hair! That was after only four months of daily use. I don't think my hair is particularly likely to be hard on a hairbrush as it's not thick or coarse or curly, so in my view it should have lasted a bit longer. Not great quality but these days nothing seems to last longer than 5 minutes.
Comment Comment | Permalink

BLACK 5 Piece Ceramic Non Stick Frying Pan With Glass Lid 20cm 24 cm 28cm Frying Pan BLACK

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy self-assembly!, 15 Dec. 2015
Not sure why other reviewers seem to have such a problem with basically really easy little bit of self-assembly. Mine went together in a few minutes with a manual cross-head screwdriver all by myself and I'm female!

Nespresso Glass Collection - Totem for Capsules
Nespresso Glass Collection - Totem for Capsules

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid quality storage, 14 Nov. 2013
I really like the way this looks - stylish and clean-looking. The materials are nice and solid and it makes an attractive display of the coloured capsules. Very pleased with mine.

Silver Spoons & Broken Bones
Silver Spoons & Broken Bones

5.0 out of 5 stars We need more of this band, 1 April 2012
I bought this CD about 3 years ago after seeing the band live at Sonisphere festival (either that or Download) and being blown away by them. I just don't get why everyone bangs on about The Darkness. Yes, there's a link; but... I hate that band, and this band is nothing like. In my humble opinion (IMHO) Stone Gods kicked The Darkness (and The Killers for that matter) into a cocked hat.

I dug this CD out after not playing it for a couple of years. It was so good on relistening I played it through three times back to back. I thought I'd go and see what else this band had recorded, expecting to find another couple of CDs to buy. And nothing! And what hter is here is astronomically priced. Stone Gods, why don't you press a few 100 more CDs and flog 'em here so more peeps can enjoy this. If you like metal, rock guitar and something a bit different along the lines of... oh blimey... they really don't sound like anyone else, but I also like Buckcherry and Mr Big!

Traditional
Traditional
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget Cullum - Grant is the one to watch, 29 July 2011
This review is from: Traditional (Audio CD)
If you're sick of artists covering Frank Sinatra and being pale immitations, you need to check out this chap. He has a superb voice and a very personal iterpretation of some old classics. His original material is a delight - Traditional is one of my absolute favourites adn I defy you to get bored of listening to it. He's just a youngster, so can only develop and immprove so definitely one to watch, and hopefully we'll get to see more of him playing live. Not sure how he's been kept under the radar for so long!

Night Train To Lisbon
Night Train To Lisbon
by Pascal Mercier

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly translated; poorly proof-read, 21 July 2009
This review is from: Night Train To Lisbon (Paperback)
I was so dissapointed by this. I selected it, priimarily because of comparisons to 'Shadow of the Wind'. More fool me.

I am a voracious reader that is not put off by something more challenging. Unfortunately, this became difficult to follow due to the level of errors in the text, that I gave up on what started as a promising book because I could not bear to read such poorly-translated and badly proof-read text. Words such as gotten, words repeated 'he he', mis-spelt words that a standard spell-checker would have picked up... the list goes on.

Despite struggling 4/5ths of the way through I gave up as I found I was playing 'spot the typo' rather than being absorbed into the story. A good translation should flow and the reader should not be aware they are reading it in the language it wasn't written in.

The author has clearly been let down in a big way. The two stars here are for the author. I'm sure it would be a five star book if read in its original language. Maybe the reviewer on the front cover (Isabel Allende) read it in the original, in which case that should be made clear on the cover too.

Maybe Atlantic Books would like my marked-up copy to correct the next edition!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 20, 2010 4:48 PM BST

Freedom of Information: A guide for the UK Private Sector
Freedom of Information: A guide for the UK Private Sector
by Kenneth Mullen

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to understand advice for non-experts, 1 Aug. 2007
Despite being written by legal experts this book does not require a legal mind to get the full benefit from it. It's refreshingly jargon-free, easy to read and provides a wealth of valuable information and guidance, so is well worth the cover price.

Armed Forces (Expanded Edition)
Armed Forces (Expanded Edition)
Offered by simply-well-priced

4.0 out of 5 stars The "legendary" Live At El Mocambo set, 16 April 2003
Great live album, with audience atmosphere and presence. Stand-out tracks are Accidents Will Happen, Oliver's Army, What's So Funny 'Bout Peace, Love And Understanding. Plus 9 previously unreleased tracks make this a must for any Costello fan. One of my favourites.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 3, 2012 4:08 PM BST

Falling Angels
Falling Angels
by Tracy Chevalier

1.0 out of 5 stars Banal, simplistic and unconvincing, 12 July 2002
This review is from: Falling Angels (Paperback)
Unlike the characters in Girl with a Pearl Earring these ones never take flight and are as static as the statues in the cemetry that features so heavily.
Intellectually unstimulating - the symbolism and imagery weighs down the storyline, and the short narratives adoted by the characters are unconvincing in style.
I skim-read the last third of the book because I felt sure it would redeem itself, but wasted my time. Not enough substance despite all the historical 'text book' posturing. I was so dissapointed by Chevalier's second book.

Page: 1 | 2