Profile for Olipop > Reviews

My daughter loves these

To The 5 Boroughs
To The 5 Boroughs
Offered by positivenoise

4.0 out of 5 stars loads of bad language too which pleases the kid in me who ..., 1 April 2016
This review is from: To The 5 Boroughs (Audio CD)
Cracking record, loads of bad language too which pleases the kid in me who first loved em without bad language in '86. Beasties with Attitude love it, cool retro beats and weird noises and obviously some ace scratching and turntable magic too. Paul's Boutique is my fave Beasties record but probably for nostalgic reasons, this record is really cool. Give it a spin.

We Need Medicine (Amazon Exclusive Signed Version)
We Need Medicine (Amazon Exclusive Signed Version)

3.0 out of 5 stars So disappointed, 17 Feb. 2014
I had such high hopes for this album, I love the band have everything they've done, and Jon's 'Psycho Duke box' too, but I can't put my finger on it, it just doesn't grab me. I have played again and again and it's beautifully produced and played but the songs just lack any depth or wit or inspire any emotion in me. I really want to love it. A couple of the songs are okay but on the whole it's not rubbish, it's not great it's just alright.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 28, 2014 1:25 AM BST

Nirvana: Live at the Paramount [DVD] [2011]
Nirvana: Live at the Paramount [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Nirvana

4.0 out of 5 stars What can you say., 17 Feb. 2014
Its great, its Nirvana, you know what they do. If you love Nirvana you'll love it, if you don't then you won't be reading this anyway.

Under The Volcano
Under The Volcano

5.0 out of 5 stars This band, these songs, this album, I love it almost as much as bacon., 17 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Under The Volcano (Audio CD)
Every year, there is an album by a new or newish band that just takes over my life, last year it was Peace 'In Love', the previous year was The Vaccines 'Come Of Age' this album is better than both of them. This is already my 2014 album, I have been playing this to death. I didn't know anything about them and just bought it on a whim as it popped up on one of those 'like this, try this lists'. By the middle of the first song you are already singing along, great hooks, chorus's overall sound, they just rock! I think the singer sounds a little bit like Jack White, but their sound is very different to White Stripes Raconteurs or Jacks solo stuff. It's hard to pigeon hole their sound, which is a good thing. I bet they are amazing live, I hope they play Glastonbury this year. I will be there with bells on! This album pops up on a lot of the same lists as the 'Temples' album but i think this is much better. The Temples album is sonically cool, and I do like it but about 3 songs in your ears get bored of the sound, particularly on head phones and it all wishy washes in to just one sound. This album keeps you interested from start to finish. Nuff said. I love it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2015 1:41 PM GMT

Oh Yes, It's… The Wonder Stuff [DVD]
Oh Yes, It's… The Wonder Stuff [DVD]
Dvd ~ The Wonder Stuff

3.0 out of 5 stars Just not feeling it anymore., 3 Feb. 2014
I have been a fan of Miles and the Stuffies man and boy and buy anything they put out, they saved me from being a metaller, the first non metal band I got into, don't get me wrong now I'm old I am now nostalgic about the metal I loved as a teen, but with my receding hair line the long locks would make me look like a Bill Bailey tribute act today! Anyway I am very sad to report the Stuffies have lost their shine, I haven't been fussed by anything they've done since Not An Exit and Suspended By Stars which where both amazing, the Oh No album is very average and and the Catching More Than We Miss is also very average, I have played them again and again and feel nothing. This DVD although well put together and well intentioned just doesn't have any heart, just going through the motions. It's just another day at the office with no passion, it's like a tribute act version of itself. I can't believe I am saying this but I don't think I'll be buying any more product or tickets from them. On the plus side it was nice to have a little interview with Erica and see what she's like, would have been nice to hear more from the others, the video for Oh No is fun, and on the bonus bits Miles singing 'Smoked' is great and full of real passion and emotion. If your a fan like me, get it. But I think this is the last thing I'm getting. We'll see!

Black Sabbath Live...Gathered In Their Masses [DVD+CD] [2013]
Black Sabbath Live...Gathered In Their Masses [DVD+CD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Black Sabbath

3.0 out of 5 stars Love this band, but, 22 Jan. 2014
I love Sabbath I have since I was 15, and i'm now 40. And not had the chance to see them live until this tour, I saw them in Glasgow in December and the gig was very similar to the one on this DVD. Looks great sounds great, but there is just no atmosphere. I remember Ozzy seeming to be very frustrated at the gig in Glasgow as he does here in Melbourne he really wants the crowd to go mad but they all just stand there and clap there hands a bit when screamed at ,occasionally on some songs like Children of the Grave and Paranoid there is some movement. Maybe its because we are all older, and different people enjoy concerts in different ways, I still personally like to jump up and down and sing my heart out. In Glasgow I looked around and most people didn't even know the words and that looks the case here on most of the songs in Melbourne. I feel like we need to love these artists while we still have them, I doubt Sabbath will ever tour again and it feels like a missed opportunity to go bonkers one last time to a band we all loved in our youth. Tony and Geezer play great, the drummer guy Tommy Clufetos drums like a maniac, Ozzy shuffles about trying the get the crowd going and sings okay but that's Ozzy and we love him for it. Great to hear some of the stuff off '13' live. So in review the DVD is good, but it could have been amazing with the right crowd.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2014 7:41 PM GMT

Duran Duran's Red Carpet Massacre
Duran Duran's Red Carpet Massacre
Offered by musik-markt

3.0 out of 5 stars MMM not sure. I hope it's good., 29 Sept. 2007
Okay so I havn't heard the whole thing so I can't really give an honest full review but I have heard about half of it through myspace, You Tube and Klaus Olsens Duran site (an amazing website which I highly recommend to any real Duran fans). I know Duran are trying and probably succeeding to reach a new audience by teaming up with the current flavours of Tim & Tim and co but I am not so sure it's right for them. I am a huge fan and have been since before I had pubes but from what I have heard something seems missing. It's not just Andy Taylor or Warren Cuccullero who I think are both awesome and both brought something great to the formula but something deeper, something about the musical identity of this particular unique brand of pop. And this thing that I can't put my finger on is making me not that excited about the new record of course i'll dutifully buy it and hopefully be proved wrong if so I will write another review to take back my doubts but right now i'd much rather buy the 15 odd songs recorded for the original album that got scrapped called 'Reportage' which featured the original five before Andy left. I feel really excited about this record and gutted I might never hear it. Simon said in a recent radio interview that the 'Reportage' record was too indie and didn't really have a lead single, so what! Duran have sold 70 million records they don't need a hit single , i'd sacrifice a radio friendly slice of pop for an indie grower any day especially one with a real guitarist and song writer playing on it and not a hired gun, session musician and a drum machine. Duran have a drummer a great drummer why are they using fake beats all over the new stuff???? I am sorry. I know there are lots of people looking forward to this album. Roll on November and I can be proved wrong if the album is totally awesome. And roll on an eventual release of 'Reportage'. Perhaps we can petition Andy through his myspace page and get him to mp3 it and get it out there he must have a copy. Fingers crossed.
Heres the tracklisting for Red Carpet Massacre care of wikipedia.

1. "The Valley" 4:57
2. "Red Carpet Massacre" 3:16
3. "Nite Runner" Featuring Timbaland & Justin Timberlake, Produced by Danja & Timbaland 3:56
4. "Falling Down" Produced by and featuring Justin Timberlake 5:39
12. "Last Man Standing" 4:00

Not An Exit
Not An Exit

5.0 out of 5 stars The Feeling I've Been Waiting For., 8 May 2007
This review is from: Not An Exit (Audio CD)
Where did Miles get all these gems from?? This is an album by a man at the top of his game; it's just quality song writing with great hooks, cool melodies and catchy chorus's.

I have had this on a constant loop in my car for the last week. This is the solo album I have been waiting for Miles to make since Vent 414 split. For a long time there during Miles's previous solo albums `Hairy On The Inside' and `The Miles Hunt Club' the songs where good but Miles's famous snarl seemed to be full of bitterness and regret, but `Not An Exit' sees the man clearly enjoying writing songs, these songs have the cutting snarl and the cynicism in abundance but with a spring and confidence in his step not seen since maybe The Stuffies `Never Loved Elvis'. If you are already a fan of Miles Hunt's writing from The Wonder Stuff, Vent 414 and solo you will love this, if you're oblivious to his work and fancy giving it a try you will not be disappointed it's all killers and no fillers from start to finish. I was blown away by The Wonder Stuff's new album last years `Suspended By Stars' but I reckon `Not An Exit' is even better as `Suspended By Stars' had a couple of fillers but `Not An Exit' is quality from start to finish. Pat Colliers mixing is great, Erica's violin is fresh and original and Andres Karu puts in a stellar performance on the drums. If Miles had made this album years ago he would never have had to put The Stuffies back together. When I think about my favourite bands that have split over the years like The Stone Roses and The Pixies none of their respective members have made anything as good as their original bands, don't get me wrong some of Frank Blacks solo stuff is okay, John Squires, Seahorses and first solo record was cool, The Breeders have their moments and Ian Brown makes some wicked records but they ain't The Roses or The Pixies I might be shot for saying this but ` Not An Exit' is as good as if not better than some of the classic Stuffies records.

Track by track

1. Back On The Charm Offensive - Miles is clearly pretty pissed at someone on this one and it rocks, I'd like to know who its directed at. When it gets into the double time bit later on in the song, if the guitar was dirtier it could easily have been on the Vent 414 album.

2. Note To Self - Classic Miles , the violin part reminiscent of Mission Drive

3. Shake Em Down - Dunno why but the riff reminds me of `California Love' by 2Pac and Dr Dre I wanna start singin' `California knows how to Party!!!" at the beginning he he . Great stuff ...love it.

4. Falsified - Nods back to `On The Ropes'. Another great tune.

5. The Cake - One of my favourites. The bastard son of `Golden Green' but with something of a different flavour has a slightly German `oomp pah' drinking song vibe or even one of those tunes they play at Bar mitzvahs or Jewish weddings where the men do that funny Russian sort of dance with there arms crossed squatting on the floor kicking their legs out...do you know what I mean?? Um I dunno why it makes me think of that!! I do love this one though.

6. These Things Remembered (not at all) - A live acoustic version of this first turned up on Miles's live `Interloper' album last year. Miles flexes his pop muscles to great effect. Happy, bouncy, hair waving stuff.

7. The Easy Way (like Californians) - This reminds me of a lot of Miles good tunes, really catchy, the verses remind me of something off of `Eight Legged Groove Machine'. Sounds like he is happy now.

8. Corny But True - Another favourite, nothing like anything Miles has done before sings in a soft vulnerable tone, doesn't even sound like him, the melody, phrasing just very different. Obviously I love it. Wonder who its about??

9. Play Me Music - A slower tune with a nice groove, another personal favourite, Miles mentions the confessor, which I assume is him he has previously mentioned the confessor on his solo stuff.

10. Look My Way - Storms in with a top violin hook like `Mission Drive', but rocks like something off ` Suspended By Stars' ,weaves, winds and sores up and down, love the chugging drums and guitar bit before the last chorus and winds down with just the backing vocals and violins.....cool.

11. You and I - And finally another corker, Miles patented driving acoustic rhythm guitar building up with violin and more nods to `Mission Drive'

12. Untitled Bonus bit - `...make more time for those you wanna spend it with, cut the ties with those you wanna lose....'crying out for a full length song , great ending to a great album.

Construction for the Modern Idiot
Construction for the Modern Idiot

5.0 out of 5 stars Go! Go! Go! Go! So underrated.... i love this record, 7 April 2006
When you hear Miles refer to this album as their terrible fourth album he is talking crap....this album wasn't popular for the band or the fans or the public and was released in the height of grunge ruling music. But, i personally rate this as their best album, everyone always says 'Hup' and "Groove Machine' and don't get me wrong those records rule and changed my life and saved me from being a metaller forever, however, nostalgia has allowed me to enjoy some hair metal once again cos i'm a parent now and i don't have to be cool. Anyway back to the point 'Construction' is a wicked album showing a darker more mature side to the stuffies, from what i understand they all hated Miles and where bored of the whole business when they made it and it kinda shows. Tracks like Cabin Fever, Wish Them All Dead, On The Ropes and Sing The Absurd are classics and i can't imagine my life without them. Bollocks to it Hush, Storm Drain and Hot Love Now are cool oh they are all cool and the bonus tracks on the remaster are cool. I just love the Stuffies plain and simple and I can't wait to get my greasy fingers on 'Suspended By Stars' CD and 'Welcome To The Cheap Seats' on DVD, my VHS copy has had it but, I have to wait cos i live in New Zealand now so I have to get it mailed to me by Amazon. Dunno why they put 'Professional Disturber of the Peace' on 'Love bites and bruises' it would have made an ace bonus track also when will we get the videos to 'On The Ropes', 'Hot Love Now!', 'Full Of Life' and 'Dizzy' on a DVD I don't think I have ever seen em are there videos to the newer tunes too??, and what about maybe a vintage live DVD with long hair and the bass thing, they must have stuff in the archives, they played the Reading fest in the late 80's with the bass thing there must be a tape of that gig from the video feed to the screens not just the dodgy audience filmed bootleg i picked up years ago. Anyway, enough of my wittering if you're a Stuffies fan you should own this album it rocks.

Page: 1 | 2