Profile for Bobby Chariots > Reviews

Content by Bobby Chariots

Bobby Chariots (London)

Adventures In Dementia - A Micro Opera
Adventures In Dementia - A Micro Opera

2.0 out of 5 stars I love Luke Haines but sometimes feel like he is becoming ..., 3 Feb. 2015
I love Luke Haines but sometimes feel like he is becoming a 21st century Hinge and Bracket. New York in the 70s was great but this left me scratching my head. It would be great if he could deliver us a good old superb "non-concept" album again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 22, 2016 2:41 PM BST

Move to Pain
Move to Pain

5.0 out of 5 stars With an alias like Sons of Magdalene that conjures the legacy of fallen ..., 20 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Move to Pain (MP3 Download)
I have nicked this review from Vibe magazine but it just nails it!

With an alias like Sons of Magdalene that conjures the legacy of fallen women, an album title like Move To Pain, and songs named “Bitter Soliloquy” and “O, Death” one might correctly presume that Joshua Eustis is working out some heavy issues through his latest offering. One would not only be correct, but hard pressed to criticize him for it. Not only because he’s had to deal with heartrending events like his father’s cancer and his Telefon Tel Aviv’s partner Charlie Cooper’s 2009 death, but also because Eustis, one of the most creative artists in electronic music, has managed to alchemize his surfeit agony into a musical victory.

An incredible musician and an incredible record. Very reminiscent of Telefon Tel Aviv while managing to sound fresh also. Don't let the dark sounding song titles discourage you. It's a great listen.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 5, 2015 4:10 AM GMT

New York In The 70's
New York In The 70's
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece number 3?, 2 Jun. 2014
This review is from: New York In The 70's (Audio CD)
I had the privilege of seeing Luke Haines play live back in February and it was noticeable that he seemed very at ease with the world and had a swagger like the Cerne Abbas man! I remember thinking to myself, “I bet his upcoming album will be a corker!”. And I was right!

It is widely acknowledged by those familiar with his that New Wave by The Auteurs and Baader Meinhoff are two sheer masterpieces. His work since has ranged from the very good to, at times, not so good.

In my humble opinion, New York in the 70s is the best thing he has done since New Wave and Baader Meinhoff. There are certain tunes on this record that are as good as anything he has ever written, New York City Breakdown and Cerne Abbas Man particularly stand out. The album as a whole, however, unlike some of his work, hangs together as a splendid record. It is an absolute gem of an album. Really catchy tunes peppered with Mr Haines’ razor-sharp humour and it paints a wonderful picture of decadent NY in the 70s.

This really deserves to earn the lug-holes of a far greater audience.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 2 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Coexist (Audio CD)
Who could fail to love the first XX CD (although I think there was a huge injustice that they pipped Wild Beasts - Two Dancers to the Mercury Music Prize).

The first CD had novelty value and a unique sound, although containing some good tunes, I always thought the lyrics sounded like they had been written by a five-year-old.

On Co-exist, the tunes have gone and the lyrics sound as though they have been written by the five-year-old's younger sibling. I have tried to listen to it about a dozen times now but only manage to get about 80% through it; it just becomes an irritating grating experience listening to the pair of them crooning on about the unsatisfactory state of "the relationship", while the tunes and beats are tuneless and discordant.

Very rarely do I feel cross about wasting £8 on a CD. This is one of them!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2012 10:47 AM BST

Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime (after two or three listens!), 21 Mar. 2011
This review is from: THE AUTOMATIC PROCESS (Audio CD)
I first became acquaited with Home Video after hearing a remix of Gas Tank hiidden away on the bonus disc of Sasha's Invol2ver CD. This led me to purchase their first CD, No Certain Night or Morning, which is a great CD and what a find!

I got an early copy of The Automatic Process on US import and on first few listens, I felt it was a bit lightweight and found the vocals a little irritating. But then I remembered I felt the same when I first heard this when I first heard their first CD also. After a few listens though, this CD comes to you and, when it does, is almost too good to take in all at once.

This album is a significant evolution from No Certain Night or Morning, but they also manage to retain their delicious trademark sound, which I have seen described as a meeting of minds between Radiohead and Massive Attack. That comparison is not too far off the mark and they certainly have the strong songs to match.

Very highly recommended.