Profile for Michael Bering Smith > Reviews

Content by Michael Bering...

Michael Bering Smith

Walking with God through Pain and Suffering
Walking with God through Pain and Suffering
by Timothy Keller

5.0 out of 5 stars Keller's Best Work Yet, 1 July 2014
In the last four years, there are many books I have read all the way through. But this past Sunday May 11th marks one of the only times that I have read through a book twice. That book is Walking With God Through Pain And Suffering by Timothy Keller.

The first time I read it, I started on October 16, 2013 and finished on November 15. It impacted me so profoundly, I knew I had to pick it up again soon. The second time, I read more slowly, starting on February 6th, 2014 and finishing on May 11.It is simply a wonderful book. The whole idea behind it is, everyone suffers. As Keller says, “No one is immune.” Therefore, it is important to know a thing or two about pain and suffering.

In the book, Tim Keller offers a helpful survey of different cultural and religious approaches to suffering—and how, interestingly, secular Western culture is perhaps the weakest in providing resources for its sufferers. He then addresses each view of suffering in light of the very nuanced Biblical approach—an approach that turns out to capture the strengths of the many cultural approaches to suffering, while also performing strongly in the areas where the other approaches are weak.

Keller closes with a set of chapters on how to get through suffering in everyday life in light of what the Bible offers. This section is probably the one I will most often return to. Keller is a Christian minister of many decades of pastoring and much wisdom, and it is here where his pastoral sensibilities shine in a special way. He offers a sensitive and well-written series of practices and disciplines such as Hoping, Praying, Weeping, and Trusting that overlap and inter-penetrate one another to form a strong, true-to-human-complexity approach to dealing with suffering.

In summary, I recommend this book very highly. As said, it is one of the few books I have read twice, and I am looking forward to reading it even a third time very soon. God has used Keller’s words to very dramatically alter how I suffer, and I can now say that the suffering I have experienced in my young life no longer holds the kind of sting it once did, and also that I feel my spirit buoyed and my skin thickened for the suffering that I, my wife, and our children will encounter in the years to come.

With a full heart, I recommend Walking With God Through Pain and Suffering to you.