Profile for Alexander Dougal > Reviews

Content by Alexander Dougal

Alexander Dougal (Edinburgh, UK)

Orphan Boys
Orphan Boys

5.0 out of 5 stars When a friend wrote a book...., 3 Jun. 2017
This review is from: Orphan Boys (Kindle Edition)
It is a unique experience, and very much a privilege to be able to read a book that a friend wrote, even more so unique for it to be an autobiography. This may mean that I was more invested than the average reader, but in hindsight the book is so well written in its account of events that formed Phils world, I can honestly say I would have been enthralled regardless. Phil has a natural talent in story telling, and despite the traumatic events that have shaped his early life, and beyond, the book itself is upbeat and positive. The landscape and communities that surround him are well realised, painting a very real and vivid picture as a back drop for boy who had to face what we as adults fear and dread. What particularly resonated for me was the cultural references of the 70s when I was only a boy myself, though I was more for Star Wars than Grease. An open and honest account of tragedy, grief, resolve and happiness through the eyes of a small boy who grew up into a well rounded and personable man who is now a friend. Well done mate, I never met Roger but I know that he and your folks would have been very proud of what you have accomplished.

Hardwiring Happiness: The Practical Science of Reshaping Your Brain-and Your Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 22 Jun. 2014
I can't overstate how important this book is and the difference it has made to me, as someone who ruminates and worries constantly, seemingly without control or reason, the exercises this book promotes has been invaluable in bettering my mental health. Using the HEAL method and linking positive experiences to negative ones and "weeding" out negativity I'm really noticing the difference. I would say it also highlights the work I need to do as I just don't hold onto positivity. I think this along with Mindfulness which it crosses over with, should be taught in schools as a basic and the world would be a better place.

SOD-IT: The Depression 'Virus' and How to Deal with it
SOD-IT: The Depression 'Virus' and How to Deal with it
by Martin Davies

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Recommended!!!, 16 Jan. 2010
Cannot recommend this book enough, I was recently off work, I couldn't eat or sleep and went along to the doctors who diagnosed me with depression and anxiety. This was caused by a couple of life events and basically a build up of different things. I burned out.

Got a few books (after a couple of weeks when I was able to concentrate again)but this one just hit the mark. Some of the quotes of people who suffer depression I've actually said myself, it really resonated. I liked the no nonsense, look this is what it is attitude, this is what you can do about it, with very little psychobabble!!!

If your just an ordinary person trying to get along and depression has all but wiped you out, you're just looking for a no nonsense "guide", easy to read but informative, this is for you.

I'm even passing on to my parents so they can understand better!

Never Say Never (Deluxe Edition CD & DVD)
Never Say Never (Deluxe Edition CD & DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Girl Flies, 3 Oct. 2006
I love Kim Wilde and had no hesitation whatsoever in buying this album, I was not disappointed.

Its obvious this was a labour of love for Kim from her selection of past favourites standing shoulder to shoulder with new rock chick anthems.

I've found previous albums either inconsistent in production (Another Step) or uninspiring (Love Moves) so was interested to see what direction she would take and how she would now sound, but on this new offering the production is slick, well rounded with knowing winks to what's gone before, and each track really does grow on you with every listen.

This is how I always wanted Kim to sound, from the edgy "tell it like it is" Perfect Girl, the punchy You Came, to the rolling guitar of We Belong Together, reminiscent of a stadium rock band that you cant quite put your finger on, the remix of View From A Bridge, the crystalline sincere vocal of Four Letter Word, and the reclaiming of Kids In America, from the countless covers that have surfaced on the airwaves.

Professional, refreshing and rock steady production gelled with heartfelt and personal vocals which should be applauded and certainly satisfies. I would like nothing better than to see her successful in the charts again as she deserves. Lets hope it's a long winter and she stays out of her garden for a bit longer.