Profile for Mr. S. Evans > Reviews

Content by Mr. S. Evans

Mr. S. Evans "dog walker"

Dead Man Talking (Quick Reads)
Dead Man Talking (Quick Reads)

4.0 out of 5 stars quick and easy, 18 May 2015
Easy to sit down and read in one session. Really enjoyed it.

Fool
Fool

4.0 out of 5 stars Stick With It, 12 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Fool (Kindle Edition)
I think some of the reviews for this book are a bit unfair.

I've read all of Moore's work and have to admit to having left this to one of the last because of what it's based on, Shakespeare's "King Lear". And it did take me a couple of chapters to finally get into it. But when I did I couldn't put it down.

Anyone who takes on a much respected, classic tragedy with such detail, obviously admires the original. And, I think, shows it the respect it deserves, without the reverence we've now given it. Moore's added a "Carry On" twist to a definitive masterpiece. And it works. Yes it's bawdy and blunt but so was the original. We just don't perform it like that now.
Read it, then go back to the play and imagine Bernard Bresslaw as "Lear", Sid James as "Pocket" and Barbara Windsor as "Cordelia".
If you respect the "Bard" - don't read it unless you've got a sense of humour.
It made me laugh - but then "Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me." Still gets me everytime!

Bloodsucking Fiends: Book 1: Love Story Series
Bloodsucking Fiends: Book 1: Love Story Series
by Christopher Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars A Happy Accident, 11 Jan. 2012
I actually bought this book by accident for my daughter. It was shoved on the shelves in between the "Twilight" Sagas in Waterstones. I only started reading it because my train broke down on the way home.
It was;
1/ Unsuitable for a 12 year old and 2/ Brilliant and very funny. I couldn't put it down.
I love discovering new writers, especially ones with a back-log of work you can immediately dip into.
I would highly recomend it and Christopher Moore.